Evo intercoolers

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
i think the kist thyat dont fit properly are available off trade me. they dont have the nipples for the two vaccuum hoses to attatch to before the throttle body. (probably other things too) i believe it was the kit that included full piping that doesnt fit

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
$400-$500 plus the cost of the cooler is almost half the price of Ivans kit (link)

That's right, and the cooler would be of better quality.

Or if you didn't want to go with an Evo cooler, you could use a stock-sized China copy of an Evo cooler. Available off ebay for around $150.

The piping may be cheaper than that too - I'm thinking worst case scenario with the $400-500 range.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Yeah mate no worries. I'll be looking at doing it when I get back from O/S, and I figured if I was getting piping made for my car I could see about getting some sets done for other members at the same time. I wouldn't be making any cash out of it - just helping out.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Yeah mate no worries. I'll be looking at doing it when I get back from O/S, and I figured if I was getting piping made for my car I could see about getting some sets done for other members at the same time. I wouldn't be making any cash out of it - just helping out.

Thats cool; I think we all appreciate any effort other members put into things like this. (i.e. the strut bars).

I would be happy to sling a few $$ extra for the effort and time.

Also: if you could find out about black powdercoating; perhaps it could be a package deal. Black pipes would look the stuff in the engine bay. Keeps that factory look but still reeps the rewards of being metal over rubber/silicone.

Let us know when you follow through with the idea.

G

Unregistered
OK guys - here are the better quality pictures as promised...

Attachments

• P1000020.jpg
    P1000020.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 149
  • P1000022.jpg
    P1000022.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 145
  • P1000023.jpg
    P1000023.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 150

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
OK guys - here are the better quality pictures as promised...

Oh yes, I love it. I cannot wait till I get my cooler. How did you spray it? Just normal spray or powder-coat?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
a few light coats of paint wont hav a major effect, perhaps a degree or two at most (like worst case scenario) but if u were to lay primer, paint and atop coat of pant then yes, t would effect the cooling efficiency of the cooler.

think of it like this, u hav a meat pie, its wrapped in that crappy plastic, u can still feel the heat from the pie. if u were to wrap it in a a few serveittes then the heat is trapped and u cant feel it.

if u were really concered (and i might do this myself) cut some stripe of newspaper out to mask off the fins on the cooler and only spray the tubes and end tanks, that way the the actual parts that do the heat exchanging hav no paint covering on them

[also, black paint absorbs heat about the same as other colours, but it also disapates heat the fastest of all colours.]

thank 3 semesters of thermodynamics for that lol

hope this helps

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
think of it like this, u hav a meat pie,

mmmmmm Pie aaarrrrrrggggghhh

The paint thing as you say can't have a detremental effect on the coolers effeciency as if it did, companies like Nissan would not have painted their GT-R's cooler black.

Gary31

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
96 Legnum V-r4
Remember that there are going to be other issues.

Black will defiantly absorb more heat than the lustrous metallic surface and could be an issue in summer. however i do not think that radiation will have a major contribution to the overall heat transfer (except if it gets direct sunlight)

There will be contact resistance to the heat transfer (usually small but still an issue) between the paint and the metallic surface.

However the most important area (the surface area in the core) is not usually painted. If this was painted I would think that there could be a more pronounced impact on the performance of the intercooler.

is the GTR cooler painted or a surface treatment?

Emu

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Wayne
Drive
1999 Galant VR4 1993 HJ V6
Remember that there are going to be other issues.

Like does guy who the pie was taken from wanting it back... lol:lol:

Black will defiantly absorb more heat than the lustrous metallic surface and could be an issue in summer. however i do not think that radiation will have a major contribution to the overall heat transfer (except if it gets direct sunlight)

There will be contact resistance to the heat transfer (usually small but still an issue) between the paint and the metallic surface.

Does black absorb more heat/radiation or does black absorb more light thereby holding more heat/radiation? I thought it was the latter but please enlighten me?

However the most impotent area (the surface area in the core) is not usually painted. If this was painted I would think that there could be a more pronounced impact on the performance of the intercooler.

is the GTR cooler painted or a surface treatment?

Now there's an Advert... "Do you paint your Impotent areas?"

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

Gary31

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
96 Legnum V-r4
Does black absorb more heat/radiation or does black absorb more light thereby holding more heat/radiation? I thought it was the latter but please enlighten me?

heat and light are inter conected. the higher the temperature the shorter the wave length (or higher the frequency) emmited. rememebr 'light' is only a very small section of the electro magnetic spectrum.

using the stefan Boltzmann law we deive the following formula.
q = ε σ (Th4 - Tc4) Ac (3)
where
q = heat transfer per unit time (W)

ε = emissivity of the object (one for a black body)
σ = 5.6703 10-8 (W/m2K4) - The Stefan-Boltzmann Constant
Th = hot body absolute temperature (K)
Tc = cold surroundings absolute temperature (K)
Ac = area of the object (m2)
it is the diferance in tempeerature that make me think that keeping the cooler out of sunlight would be a good idea. in reality a shinny surface will reflect alot of this heat.

of couse then comes the question 'why then does metal get so hot when its int he sun?' this is due to its high thermal conductivity.

a bit of a ramble but i hope that helps.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Doesn't painting an intercooler impact the heat transfer ability?

to put it simply, yes it does.. speaking from my stupid experience..

Yes. but i dont think anyone will know the true impact of it.

i lost approximately 50-80kms out of my tank when i had my cooler painted black.. was matt black and it was a typical paint (none of those heat resistant paint)only had 2 coats on it too..

But I believe Gary have replied with something more complex

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If you paint it really thickly then you will lose some heat transfer ability. Anodizing it black however should be ok.

G

Unregistered
Pure and simple - I didn't want it to stand out as I like the factory style look.

From my point of view I figured that as you only paint the very front part of the cooler (i.e. you don't paint down inside the fins, nor the back) it should only have a marginal effect on cooling, and either way it still should be better than factory...

G

Unregistered
to put it simply, yes it does.. speaking from my stupid experience..

i lost approximately 50-80kms out of my tank when i had my cooler painted black.. was matt black and it was a typical paint (none of those heat resistant paint)only had 2 coats on it too..

But I believe Gary have replied with something more complex

Our stock one is painted black, so does that mean if we strip the paint off it we'll see some major improvements?

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Guess what rocked on up at my place today :) ... mmm evo 7 cooler. Needs a good clean, but no traces of oil in the core inlet or outlet; nor is there any damage front or rear. (well except for a couple of bent fins on the front)

cooler.jpg

Also came with the pipes; so should be able to work something out to work in with the standard setup.

IMO not bad for $150...

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
painted black is more efficient auto speed did tests and it was easily proven, use a spray can not thick paint

silver or chrome looks better but not as efficient black is always the best for getting rid of heat

Top Bottom