Evo parts compatibility

G

Unregistered
Hey guys

I have been doing some reading through the forums and have seen some legnums with what looks like evo front bars etc... I guess im just looking to cut through a lot of it and get definitive answers

What evo parts can actually fit on legnums?? whether they suite it is another matter, but im looking for answers on compatability?
Do they actually fit well or is there a heap of work involved??

i do understand info is in the other threads and apologise if the questions annoying. haha just trying to increase product knowledge here :D

thanks in advance

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
All the bonnets and front bars are manufactured for Legnums and are not off an EVO.

EVO V onwards Wheels will fit (Some will stick out a little on a Series 1)
EVO V onwards Brembos will fit (Series 1 will need FL Hub carriers to fit)
Seats can be modified to fit.
Carsten has a EVO clutch in his Legnum (Not an exact straight swap)
EVO 4/5/6 MOMO Steering wheels will fit.
EVO 4/5/6 Radiator will fit (Some members have aftermarket aluminium ones)
EVO 6 Climate Control unit is the same

All i can think of for now.

G

Unregistered
oh really... whoa...

so the evo bars that ive seen slapped on the front of legnums are actually just... the same design but made for our cars...?? is that right...

yeah i know... im showing how much of a newb i am. hahaha

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
No body parts are interchangeable apart from the door handles and you can bolt evo wings onto galants if you make new holes.

The EVO 4 calipers are identical to the facelift calipers, and EVO 4 pads and discs are the same as all VR-4's.

The gearbox internals from all 5 speed evo 4-9 are compatible for people wanting different ratios - like me!

The transfer case in EVO4-6 is the same.

The EVO 4-9 LSD/AYC/S-AYC diffs all fit in

The EVO 4-6 brake master cylinders fit in

EVO 4-X wheels bolt straight on :D

scientist

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Edmund Robinson
Drive
1989 Galant VR4
All the bonnets and front bars are manufactured for Legnums and are not off an EVO.

EVO V onwards Wheels will fit (Some will stick out a little on a Series 1)
EVO V onwards Brembos will fit (Series 1 will need FL Hub carriers to fit)
Seats can be modified to fit.
Carsten has a EVO clutch in his Legnum (Not an exact straight swap)
EVO 4/5/6 MOMO Steering wheels will fit.
EVO 4/5/6 Radiator will fit (Some members have aftermarket aluminium ones)
EVO 6 Climate Control unit is the same

All i can think of for now.

The evo 7-9 5spd Clutch and pressure plate fit. We're running one right now

anthony

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
tony
Drive
Rare Manual Legnum VR-4
i believe the wheel bearing kits are also the same part

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The lsd front goes into the transfer case. The EVO 4/5/6 transfer case is the same part number as a VR-4

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
What's an LSD on the front do? I thought the viscous gearing in the transfer case sorted out drive to the front wheels?

Yes I'm still a newb ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
40-50% of the power goes to the front wheels via the transfer case. The front diff is completely open, so it could send 50% of the engine power to a single front wheel in a sharp corner.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
And an LSD is better because it would feel the slip and retard power to that wheel? Isn't that what the transfer case in the VR4 should be doing anyway, or is it not that sophisticated?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
nahh the transfer case only moves power front and rear, not to each side of the car

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
So front wheels get equal drive power, which can be varied between 40 and 50% of total output, while the AYC diff can vary power from left to right by up to 8%? AYC is controlled electronically due to inputs from gyros, while transfer case distribution is defined by output shaft relative speed within the viscous coupling - basically if the output shaft speeds up primary power is pushed to the rear drive shaft and the front shafts take a little while to catch up (hence the 40/60 to 50/50 ratio)?

G

Unregistered
So we could put a lsd in the front transfer case then in the VR4? So this would make even better handeling and then S-AYC to step it up even more, right?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The only time it would help is if you were spinning one of your front wheels when coming out of a corner

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
So you either took the corner so sharp you've caused understeer and you're back on the power hard enough to lose traction, in which case you really should just give up and walk 'cause your driving is rubbish ;) Or the road surface is less than optimal, causing traction loss (eg wet, loose gravel, snow etc), so it would help here, although you're probably driving too aggressively for the conditions.

Thanks for the clarification Brad, filling in those blanks gives me a far more complete picture of how the whole system works :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Or you are driving around Pukekohe which has a very aggressively cambered hairpin which gets the front inside wheel airborne every lap!

Top Bottom