Exhaust....Single or Twin

G

Unregistered
Searching Google and came across a Legnum in the UK with custom twin exhaust. Are there any advantages for this? From past experience, I have found that a decent sized single exhaust is fine, although not too large as you don't want to lose too much back pressure. What are your thoughts on twin exhausts?

Please forgive my spelling in the title, I didn't check it.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Ask bradc as he got one........................................if I recall

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Without looking at the link, interesting idea. Are we thinking twin as in an exhaust from each turbo or twin after say the cat.

First thing that comes to mind is the O2 sensor. Can you wire two to the one plug. I doubt it as the voltages would be all wrong and your fuel comsuption would be effected. So I would guess that would mean a after market ECU solution. And why not I'd go the twin and by pass not only the O2 I'd dump the MAF at the same time.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
There isn't really room underneath the car to run two main pipes anyway. Having a muffler on either side would let you get away with a more restrictive pair of mufflers (quieter) than if you had just one without sacrificing performance.

G

Unregistered
Thanks Brad, Bella's car sounds quiet, but with a nice note, not to mention a wicked growl when you foot it. We are planning on keeping the exhaust on it anyways. May have to meet up with you one day. Was in your hood Thursday arvo too, went up to Presidents Hill Lookout.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Sean.

I think you're confusing Bradc with the other Brad (King Panther).

King Panther is around your neck of the woods. Bradc lives in New Zealand!

G

Unregistered
LOL...sorry about that, looks as though I will need to make the Leggy extra water tight then.

Sean.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Sean.

Ummm..... yes Sean. I am the 'other' Brad.

Best not to get us confused. Easy to tell the difference. Bradc knows what he's talking about. I do NOT!

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
this the style of exhaust im planning, and yes ill mind a way to make room for it :p

to me its just logical, V-configuration engine need their own seperate exhaust, otherwise where they join, your creating a bottle neck. weight increase would be minimal i reckon, as the twin pins are smaller diameter.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
this the style of exhaust im planning, and yes ill mind a way to make room for it :p

to me its just logical, V-configuration engine need their own seperate exhaust, otherwise where they join, your creating a bottle neck. weight increase would be minimal i reckon, as the twin pins are smaller diameter.

The type of exhaust being proposed here is a single pipe that splits into 2 though. That's pointless IMO (unless you're just doing it for looks).

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
oh.. yeah i just assumed we were talking about twin pipes as in a pipe off each turbo. yeah splitting them anywhere along the system is just pointless.

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
'98 VFR 800 / '92 Ford Laser Turbo / '10 Kia Cerato S
I'll be sticking with a single, but I do like the look of a couple of smaller exhausts out the back. Balances up the car without doing that stupid Porsche Boxter a**ehole in the middle :)

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
well im gona eventually do the dual pipes, but they will run in parallel and come out where the factory exhaust does. i like asymetric mods, otherwise ur car looks like a honda with massive dual 5" pipes thru the middle of the rear bar surrounded by mesh.. spew!

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I love the look of twin exhausts on either side of the car.. It's something simple I loved about my Liberty with the nice mufflers on it!

Looked great.. I would love it on the VR4 as well :)

It is a pointless mod, but it's all about the wank factor and looks haha..

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
well im gona eventually do the dual pipes, but they will run in parallel and come out where the factory exhaust does. i like asymetric mods, otherwise ur car looks like a honda with massive dual 5" pipes thru the middle of the rear bar surrounded by mesh.. spew!

Would look tough. Twin cannons side by side is always a good look.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
nuh screw cannons, done that on my silvia. im gona go straight pipes/flutes. and maybe a mid muffler or something to quiet it down a bit.

Top Bottom