Exhaust....Single or Twin

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
I like the look of twin pipes too and will probably go down that road soonish, not huge on the cannons tho. Yes not a real performance mod or nothing, more cosmetic that would look good IMO, and can't see how it would add that much extra weight to be honest.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
nuh screw cannons, done that on my silvia. im gona go straight pipes/flutes. and maybe a mid muffler or something to quiet it down a bit.

Well that too. You'll probably get away with that in terms of noise - I dropped the muffler off mine a while back to see if there was a restrictor or something and with no muffler and 2 hotdog resonators it would still have been under the legal limit. Mine still has the sucky compliance cat though.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Would it be feasable to run 4 pipes... if space permitted.. where the additional 2 would be from the wastegates of each turbo? ....and have no mufflers off these extra long screamers? (perhaps if you put a cat on each you would cover yourself legally?)

actually thinking about it... that wouldnt work would it - with o2 sensors etc... not to mention rediculously large space usage.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
just do a split dump and plumb it back in before the cat
R_ces_dump.jpg

OR:
twin straight pipes from the dif back!! 2.5" x2 :D

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
just do a split dump and plumb it back in before the cat

OR:
twin straight pipes from the dif back!! 2.5" x2 :D

The idea was no mufflers.. just straight pipes with as less restrictive of a cat as possible to keep 'some' legality..

Mainly for the sound lol

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
with screamers, u dont wana plumb them all the way to the back of the car. the whole point is a quick exit of gasses seperate to the main exhaust, otherwise u may as well just plumb it into the main exhaust.

ive had experience with screamer pipes and they really are a pain. they sound like crap. the only time u can get away with one is on a race track.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
What IS a screamer pipe anyway.. I don't even know what they look like or how they work or anything!

I heard a Skyline with one and it sounded pretty wicked, but would be irritating after a while..

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I definately prefer a twin exhaust setup. I just like the symmetry of it.
Plus I'd like twin pipes from twin exhausts.

Am investigating something like that for the Super...

wendnarb

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
1998 VR4 legnum
haha i know that i really dont know that much about legnums at all, but ive gone the dual exhausts on my magna!
the symmerty of it is so much nicer and it looks soooo much better!!
i went to windsor exhauts, they were heaps helpful and told me everything i was up for..

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Apart from looking good, the split rear pipes to mufflers allow for a quieter exhaust that is less restrictive than adding 36 resonators, or 3 compliance cats or whatever it may be.... So there ARE some benefits, but for the cost it'd wanna be worth it! :)

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
haha i know that i really dont know that much about legnums at all, but ive gone the dual exhausts on my magna!
the symmerty of it is so much nicer and it looks soooo much better!!
i went to windsor exhauts, they were heaps helpful and told me everything i was up for..

How much did that cost you over a single exhaust?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
What IS a screamer pipe anyway.. I don't even know what they look like or how they work or anything!

I heard a Skyline with one and it sounded pretty wicked, but would be irritating after a while..

A pipe that comes straight off the wastegate. The problem with doing it on a VR4 is it would be open whenever you accelerated. Terrible.

wendnarb

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
1998 VR4 legnum
from memory for a sinlge exhaust it would of been $360 although for the twins i think it ended up being $580 all up.. it was a few years ago but im pretty sure that this was it.. the extra price was having to buy two mufflers(which were 180 each) and then $20 for another tip, and $20 for the pipe to run to thte second side...
i have a 2.5split after the rear axle to duel 2.25's...

not sure what size you guys run or how revlevent that this info would be to you guys...

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I'm a fan of the twin exhaust setup, as stated by other people I like the way its symmetrical. Plus I think it kind of adds a classy sports look, depending on the exhaust tip/muffler you go for.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
i still fail to see why u would SPLIT the exhaust after you have JOINED them before the cat creating a bottle neck.

wouldnt u just keep them split the whole way thru.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
You would still need to join them somewhere along the line, otherwise the gas flow would be uneven between the pipes, causing a loss in performance. They would need to be joined so an equilibrium could be reached between the two pressures in each of the pipes.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
split dumps into 3" collector - 3"cat - and 3" pipe out to the back, tried and tru method

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
You would still need to join them somewhere along the line, otherwise the gas flow would be uneven between the pipes, causing a loss in performance. They would need to be joined so an equilibrium could be reached between the two pressures in each of the pipes.
i cant see how this is at all possible. each turbo will have their own outlet. one turbo doesnt need to know what the other is doing in the way of flowing gasses. many cars run a dual exhaust setup on a V configuration engine. the reason most people join them is for simplicity, cost and room under the car, but this sacrafices performance.

Top Bottom