Fitted new 02 sensor , now car not running

Ozyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
2000 Legnum
Hi there , I have been doing some maintenance on my legnum. I just changed the plugs and got the injectors cleaned. Car ran fine for a week. I decided to take to work and put on the hoist to replace the 02 sensor .
Replaced it , easy job. I did not run for long after I fitted as I had to work. Started the car to drive home and started fine. Once the car got up to temp , the engine stopped. When I get running by using the throttle to raise rpm , it blows heaps of fuel smoke and is running like crap.
I tried to disconnect the 02 sensor to see if it gets any better. No good.
Any ideas???? Has this happened to anyone else?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hi there , I have been doing some maintenance on my legnum. I just changed the plugs and got the injectors cleaned. Car ran fine for a week. I decided to take to work and put on the hoist to replace the 02 sensor .
Replaced it , easy job. I did not run for long after I fitted as I had to work. Started the car to drive home and started fine. Once the car got up to temp , the engine stopped. When I get running by using the throttle to raise rpm , it blows heaps of fuel smoke and is running like crap.
I tried to disconnect the 02 sensor to see if it gets any better. No good.
Any ideas???? Has this happened to anyone else?
Make sure the O2 sensor is actually connected. It sounds like it's in limp home mode, it will dump fuel in cause its not getting a correct O2 reading.

Also recheck your coil leads are seated properly if you recently removed them

Ozyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
2000 Legnum
Cool, I will check as the o2 sensor is what I changed. I had a look at cooler pipes and they look tight. I don't think it's in limo home mode as it won't idle without the throttle pressed and it used quarter a tank of fuel to drive 15K.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Cool, I will check as the o2 sensor is what I changed. I had a look at cooler pipes and they look tight. I don't think it's in limo home mode as it won't idle without the throttle pressed and it used quarter a tank of fuel to drive 15K.
Id still check the coil leads. Is it running on 5 cylinders or definitely 6?

It will sometimes idle badly in limp mode. If its using a shed load of fuel and you just changed the O2 sensor, I reckon that's the cause. Make sure the connections are definitely pressed together correctly.

Ozyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
2000 Legnum
I removed the coil packs and spark plugs from the front bank, this morning after starting the car while cold . I let it run for a minute . When I took out the rear plug under the coilpack smoke just came out. I suspect it was not running and it was vapour. I cleaned the plugs and pulled the springs in the coilpack longer to make sure it reaches the plug tips. I hope this fixes it but will not know until I star again. I may also redo some of the vacuum hoses to make sure I have leaks. I'll out my leak tester on it and fix any leaks.
Finger crossed that this will fix the problem .

Top Bottom