Fog lights = infringment

Itchy Scrot

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Luke
Drive
Legnum & scrotary
So, apparently driving with the fog lights on is a $200 on-the-spot fine.

I don't get why so many people drive with them on and don't get whassashmed more often? 4wds being the most common offenders.. :confused:

I was lucky to get off with a warning. I pleaded ignorant about using them saying the car was about a week old. Still, interesting fact and thought id share it with ya'll so you don't get caught and slapped.

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
Yeah that's been around for a while, it is rather stupid but I just try to never have them on.

Makes having fog lights pretty useless though :cry:

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Correct. I can't understand why some cars drive with the fogs on and headlights off on a bright clear day or even in the evening when there's still light and no sign of fog.

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
Some of the new cars have a switch that turns them on permanently with the lights.
They are a hazard because they can get in the eyes of the oncoming traffic or car in front of you,(because they cant really be aimed)

snitz

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Jason
Drive
Toyota Cressida,GK Scorpion,VP Calais..2000 Legnum type S and a Rota project in the shed.
Yep, Im sure the law states that fog lights or driving lights can be used only in extreme or adverse weather conditions..now its usually a $200 fine and demerit points in SA.Drive with them on and you deserve to get reamed IMHO..

it's.simon

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
VR-4 Galant Type S
I always get warned, if they're on a revenue raising rampage they will fine you. I find a lot of the jap foglights point to the ground so it's not that bad. Changing them to yellow is also less dazzling and looks cool. I generally only have mine on when it's raining so I have an excuse that the conditions aren't clear.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I used my foglights this morning, even though the fog wasn't really low enough to obscure vision... I felt so naughty

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I don't think I've ever used my fog lights here in SA. We just don't have the conditions necessary for them.

Can't stand ignorant people who insist they need them on. Every so often they have a police officer on the radio answering defect related questions and fog lights always get brought up. Some dude rang up saying how he always has them on, even during the day. The police officer blatantly said it's illegal unless in heavy rain or fog. The dude just hung up after saying he's still going to use them. Hope he gets raped with no lube, that's right, none!

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
In Vic i believe it is only an offense when just the fog lights are on and it isn't foggy. If the headlights are on i think it is ok..

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
The problem with fog lights (and you'll know this if you've ever replaced them) is they can't really be focused and have no dip/cut off. So they're at ground level pointing up, essentially blinding on coming drivers.

it's.simon

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
VR-4 Galant Type S
Those carbon fibre covers from the states sure do look good...but it seems you have to drill into the front bar to fit them?

ed84

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddie
Drive
09' Mitsubishi SWB Pajero NT X DiD, Honda CBR250rr
HAD: 99' Legnum s 2 Type S, 98' Galant S2 Type V
I really don't understand why it is such an issue for some people. I don't use them, because they're illegal - unless in heavy rain etc. But it seems some people get so worked up over them and now we have strict guidlines with a $200 fine if used... $200!!?
Seriously, is the world a better place because i (hypothetically) have switched off my driving lights? NO. It's just more overgoverning bullshit.
The only time driving lights are a bad thing, in my opinion, is when there sitting on a 4wd+ lift kit bumper level glaring straight into the back window of another car... which ours arnt. Most sedan/wagon/hatch/whatever arnt.
The most it probably needs, is a wattage limit. which im pretty sure their already was. a different wattage limit for LEDs/HIDs maybe?
Ive heard people swearing and cursing about driving lights before when they are absolutely doing no harm what so ever - and i think to myself "geez take a chill pill".
Personally i think it is far more distracting and offencive when people chew with their mouth open -but that does NOT mean we should make some rediculous law banning it.
If driving with driving lights on WAS legal and there were no fines imposed - i would still have them OFF, as i have no need for them under normal circumstance - but i certainly couldn't give a damn if the car next to me has them on.
It goes to show that the people writing and ammending the laws in this backwards state really have to much time on their hands and i think its about time we clear out some of these useless public servants!!

EDIT: I realize my fog lights are on in my avatar pic... My doors and boot are also open...

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Personally i think it is far more distracting and offencive when people chew with their mouth open -but that does NOT mean we should make some rediculous law banning it.

Oh yes it does.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
fog lights without cut off like 99% of commodores and falcons are the problem.

ours actually have a cut off, and adjustment.

i sometimes i'd much rather drive with them on, our headlights are pathetic being parabolic.

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
I use them in low light situations like when its pissing down with rain so it makes it easier for me to see the reflectors on the road, I'd use my headlights but my HID's are very bright and I think worse than foglights

Top Bottom