Gizzmo MS-IBC HELP!

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Hey guys, I just got one of these fitted and installed.. And I'm trying to increase the boost, but I can't work it out :(

The instructions say increase the Duty Cycle by 10% so I do that, but it still shows the standard boost level (0.54 bar).. 1 Bar is 14.1psi?

Anybody able to help me out with the right procedure in increasing the boost levels?

I know it's probably different for every EBC out there, but any kind of advice or assitance would be greatly appreciated!!

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
I know its a stupid question; but have you double checked your wiring/lines to ensure it is around the correct way? Sounds like you solenoid isn't doing anything; the same as being "turned off" it just runs wastegate pressure.

Compare with eyeballprawns diagram on EBC wiring. Should make it easy to work out whats going on.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Hmm when I see the guys who fitted it again I'll see if they can check, as I have no idea how to install these things so I got help lol

Thanks dude, I guess I thought that if done the wrong way it wouldn't boost at all lol

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
I fiddled with the gain, didn't seem to do any difference either

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Set duty to 40 and gain to 10 or so, then duty up by 5 until you get what you want. Also, i think these have to be setup for our cars. I think they are setting 12 or something when configering.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Thanks man :)

What do you mean by "setting 12"?

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I remember there was an intial parameter on a EBC and i thought it was the Gizzmo that had to be set to 12. Might even be the gain. I really can't remember if it was the IBC or not. Are you using it with the Mitsubishi solenoid?

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Nah it came with a new solonoid to use :)

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
OK, it will prob need a diff setting then. One advantage of an IBC is that it can use your stock solenoid. It should have a quick setup guide or something tho. Also, PM Absence. He has one and has it setup to 1 Bar. He should be able to help you.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Thanks so much!

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
I think it was just stock boost

G

Unregistered
Might pay to look at the diagram I drew up in the Greddy Profec thread and have a poke around yourself and see how they've installed it. Seems to be a common occurrence that people get the 'experts' to install their EBCs, only for them to fug it up anyway!

If it's boosting as stock, then the wastegates are seeing the boost pressure OK. But the solenoid is not withholding the pressure as it needs to do in order to make the boost rise higher & faster than normal.

The boost solenoid basically tricks the wastegates into seeing lower or no pressure until the controller tells the solenoid to open. When no power is applied to it (not under control) then it will function in NO (Normally Open) mode where it just passes all pressure through to the wastegates, causing them to open early.

The solenoid might plumbed in wrong or the electrical cabling for it might not be connected, can you check the back of the EBC and make sure the solenoid's cable is actually plugged in?

There's also another common mistake, there is a plastic cap that comes installed in the third unused port on the solenoid. This needs to removed as air is actually vented out that port when the solenoid is in action. Otherwise the wastegates can stay open due to a boost pressure airlock in the line.

Soldat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Blake
Drive
R33 GTST (S2)
Tom, if you're still having problems have a look at http://gizzmousa.com/file-copies/Dsport-MS-IBC.pdf.

I'm looking at getting one of these for whichever car I keep and from what I've read there and from the MS-IBC installation guide, you should start seeing some increased boost as you increase the DUTY amount.

GAIN was a trickier one to figure out but I think its basically saying how quickly boost is allowed to ramp up. The guys in the above link didn't seem to touch GAIN at all until later, so this could be the setting that is set at 12%

I'm not 100% sure but I'm thinking of GAIN in terms of a "restriction" (or a lack of one). Might be like trying to inflate a balloon with a hole in it. How much time it takes to fully inflate the balloon depends on the size of the hole and how much air is getting let out.

So a GAIN of 0% (or whatever the absolute minimum is) might be saying the balloon has a whopping big hole, meaning it will take ages to inflate that balloon (that is, it will take some time to reach your predetermined boost cap). Whereas a balloon with a small or no hole will inflate much quicker (thus, your boost limit is reached quickly).

Both the above link and the install guide warn against setting GAIN too high as you could overshoot your target (balloon goes boom = face hits dashboard).

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Thanks dude, if that is the case then the controller is most definitely installed incorrectly! As I tried increasing the Duty Cycle and encountered no changes of boost levels at all!

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Thanks for the graphs :) I'm having trouble understanding all this stuff because it's all new to me, but I'm getting there :)

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
I had a half day at work today, so I headed over to Meek to see what they had to say..

You guys were right, they told me that the hoses on the solonoid were the wrong way around, and also recommended I get a couple of metal hose plug thingies to replace the plastic ones that came with the intercooler kit.. and that was it =]

So it's boosting now, just have to tune the bo0zt

I would have done it myself, but I don't understand it properly, so I figured I'd get them to look at it haha

Top Bottom