Gizzmo MS-IBC HELP!

G

Unregistered
Good stuff Tom, glad you got it all sorted. Enjoy & report back! I'm really keen to hear how well the closed loop mode works.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Thanks dude :) Thanks for your assistance too!

Do you have any idea on what the Open and Closed Loop thing is? I'm trying to hit up google with that haha

Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_controller:
Control for the solenoids and stepper motors can be either closed loop or open loop. Closed loop systems rely on feedback from a manifold pressure sensor to meet a predetermined boost pressure. Open loop systems have a predetermined control output where control output is merely based on other inputs such as throttle angle and/or engine RPM. Open loop specifically leaves out a desired boost level, while closed loop attempts to target a specific level of boost pressure. Since open loop systems do not modify control levels based on MAP sensor, differing boost pressure levels may be reached based on outside variables such as weather conditions or engine coolant temperature. For this reason, systems that do not feature closed loop operation are not as widespread.

Wow, that confused me lol

G

Unregistered
Think of open loop as a manual mode, where you have to tweak it until the boost is set the way you like..the boost may fluctuate due to spiking etc. But you will have more control over the settings. There may be a little bit of feedback, for example the Greddy Profec I have is open loop but it will still monitor the boost and apply the limiter if required when over boosting.

The closed mode will be more automatic. You tell it that you want 13PSI and the controller will do all it can to make sure you reach that boost and that it does not fluctuate.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Oooh.. I think mine is on Open Loop mode at the moment, it spikes to 0.80 then levels out at 0.69.. Or is that normal or something, I haven't had a boost gauge on my car for ages so I don't know what levels it used to be on.. I have it on 40% Duty Cycle but haven't fiddled with it since having the controller sorted..

Soldat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Blake
Drive
R33 GTST (S2)
You can probably expect that sort of spike in Open Loop. I assume that IBC is displaying BAR by default, so that 0.80 (nearly 12psi) spike then drop to 0.69 (just over 10psi) can be expected from what is essentially a MANUAL boost controller at this point.

Flick it into Closed and see if you get any similar spiking; it should be a bit smoother.

G

Unregistered
How's the EBC going Tom? Running OK? Did you manage to tune out the spikes or try the closed loop mode yet?

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
To closed? Okay I'll give that a shot.. I think I've been zipping around with it set to open! Thanks guys =]

So far it's been pretty good!

G

Unregistered
Closed loop mode is what makes me excited about this controller as it's something you would only normally see on very expensive models. That's why I keep banging on about it and am keen to find out your experiences with it.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
I have it on Closed Loop mode, with 38 Duty Cycle and 5 Gain..

I think I might remove the Gain all together, as it's spiking to 0.86 then going to 0.71.. But when it spikes it hits cut a little so it delays my boosting and just revs instead of boosting..

G

Unregistered
Can't remember if I asked you before, is your car an automatic or manual tranny?

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
I managed to somehow figure out how to up the boost based on Bar ratings and playing with the Gain and stuff..

But I can't remember how to do that at this point in time..

I found it good, and didn't know the difference between Closed and Open loop! But yeah, I got it to sit at a good level :)

Just have to raise the Boost Cut if you can by editing the ECu.. I couldn't do that on the ECU I have, but if you have the 7202 one you'll be right as rain :)

Was able to run at 0.8 bar I think.. 1 bar being 14psi, and that is allowing spikes in different weather conditions.. I set it to 0.7 and it would always spike to 0.8 and be fine.. whenever it'd spike over 0.8 boost cut kicked in!

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
Threamine!

Guys i just wanted to ask - as i should be getting my Gizzmo MS-IBC very soon has anyone just exact setting for me?

I understand that Gain has very little affect on our cars. What sort of duty cycle should i put if i want to run 7psi and 13 psi

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
I have it on Closed Loop mode, with 38 Duty Cycle and 5 Gain..

I think I might remove the Gain all together, as it's spiking to 0.86 then going to 0.71.. But when it spikes it hits cut a little so it delays my boosting and just revs instead of boosting..

This is what I had it set to :) I just kept changing settings, then taking off and testing, pulling over, and testing.. This is the settings that (from memory) worked pretty well most of the time

I think for 7psi on one setting, set everything back to whatever the default for the controller is.. and to get 14psi, maybe give the settings I have here a shot and see how that suits?

shanzy

Idling at the Lights
First Name
shanzy
Drive
1997 legnum super vr-4
Hey guys.i got a 97 super leggy.i bought a gizzmo ms-ibc ima bit of an air head doing this and tried few auto leccys they can install but not tune so ill try myself.. im just gonna say im lost.. knda got the idea but were should i put the pressure line?(line that goes to gizzmo)...and took out my mbc that in and out cool to hook straight on to new solenoid?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Tuning a gizzmo is pretty easy if you have the instructions, there is not many settings. Yes the solenoid will plug in where your mbc is. You will need to run a vac line from the control unit into the engine bay and tap into a vac line. There is 2 vac lines coming off the back of the intake manifold, these will be the easiest vac lines for you to tap into. Then its just a matter of running the wiring loom from the control unit to the solenoid.
Im not sure how your MBC was plumbed in, but you should check that your factory boost control solenoid is unplugged or it wont work properly.

shanzy

Idling at the Lights
First Name
shanzy
Drive
1997 legnum super vr-4
Cheers how do i no which is vac line and behind manifold closest to cabin?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
rubber hoses about 10mm thick coming off the back off the manifold, there is 2 next to each other. the closest is best. do a bit of searching on here and you will probably even find a guide, the guide might be under installing a boost gauge, as thats all your doing really.

shanzy

Idling at the Lights
First Name
shanzy
Drive
1997 legnum super vr-4
Cheers mate saved me alotta time and cash..appreciate it heaps

buduki

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Cheyne
Drive
Stocko Galant vr4 Type V
Hey guys, I have the Gizzmo MS-2, intercooler, 3 inch high flow cat and exhaust. My I am for ever trying to find a happy medium for my settings. I decided to start from the very lowest settings and work my way up.

In closed loop 0 gain, 10 duty 9ish PSI / 0 gain, 11 duty 10.2ish PSI / 0 gain, 12 duty 11-12 PSI.

In open loop 5 gain, 10 duty spike to 12 tapper to 9ish, with 9.2 being the start read out. 5 gain, 11 duty spike to 12-13 (depending of weather) 10.5 on the read out. 5 gain, 12 duty this setting I run on warmer days, 12.2 PSI on the read out with spiking and tapering below 9 PSI.

Some of these runs were unstable of these runs were unstable with boost spike occurring as well as the waste gate or solenoid unable to provided a nice smooth boost level in closed loop. I'm starting to think the actuators are not performing the job I require. Would there be any benefit to "tune" the length of the actuator arm to aid the solenoid in its duty to control the boost levels?

Top Bottom