Guidence request for Wheel Selection

G

Unregistered
I've been surfing the net for months now looking for wheels and I've come across one huge problem, there isn't any wheels that will fit my requirements.

I'm looking for a set of 18" diameter for reducing side wall flex and looks, 8.5" or 9" width for grip, +35 or +38 offset for flush fitment and that will clear an aftermarket brake upgrade.

Ideally I would like something that look like this
DTM_D1_GunMetal.jpg
cdc6_version2_charcoal_grey.jpg

But anything, except chrome, would do.

Now, I could fix all this by buying an expensive set of Rays Wheels, but I just don't have that kind of cash.

Now my question is where do I get a set of wheels that fit? Am I asking to much? Can anyone point me in the direction of where I could get some?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Brave man asking for wheel advice on here - this thread could go on for years :)

The AUD->YEN rate is on it's way back up, what about outher Jap brands that aren't as exxy as Rays? 5zigen's like mine?

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Buddy Club P1's!

They are cheap as shit, come in heaps of sizes and look fairly similar to what you just posted up. They are well made and lightweight too.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Jesse Streeter will get you second hand jap wheels for cheap.

J-Imports have them for an OK price as well. Thuy is good to deal with too.

G

Unregistered
The AUD->YEN rate is on it's way back up, what about other Jap brands that aren't as exxy as Rays? 5zigen's like mine?

What distribution in Australia like? Would I have to buy them in Japan and get them shipped here?

Buddy Club P1's!

They are cheap as shit, come in heaps of sizes and look fairly similar to what you just posted up. They are well made and lightweight too.

The only P1 wheel that comes close to looks is the P1 Racing II Plus but doesn't come in a 18x8.5 or 9

And the only one that comes close to fitment is P1 Racing SF Challenge 18x9 +40

Jesse Streeter will get you second hand jap wheels for cheap.

J-Imports have them for an OK price as well. They is good to deal with too.

I had a quick look on the J-Imports but I couldn't see any set of 4 wheels that matched.

Trolling through Yahoo auctions might be my only option, but I would rather buy a second hand set that I can check out myself.

Okay, now this is a loaded question. What would other people compromise on; diameter, width or offset?

G

Unregistered
Listed as 8.5 & 9.5 width but im sure they'd sell a full set of 18x8.8 +35. $1210 plus delivery

The 8.5 comes with a +30 offset while the 9.5 comes with a +35 offset. I thought I had found my saving grace when I first saw them as well.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
If you find Rotas that you want let me know and I'll see if I can get you a price.

Otherwise, D1Rs maybe? As for your question, I'd sacrifice diameter before fitment. And I'd run a flush 8" wheels before a sunken 8.5".

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
Ok Guys i know i should be posting this in the too lazy fat prick rah rah rah thread.

However - If i wanted perfect fitment in a 18" rim, what would i be looking for.

sorry for the noobish Q

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
18x9 +35-38, 18x8.5 +30-32, 18x8 +20-25

The lower numbers will be slightly outside the guards, the higher numbers will be flush. This assumes you've lowered the car a reasonable amount and induced camber. It also assumes you won't be running bulged tyres.

G

Unregistered
18x9 +35-38, 18x8.5 +30-32, 18x8 +20-25

The lower numbers will be slightly outside the guards, the higher numbers will be flush. This assumes you've lowered the car a reasonable amount and induced camber. It also assumes you won't be running bulged tyres.

What about this from the Offsets sticky?
Flush Wheel Fitment

Diameters: 17 18 19

Widths: 8 8.5 9

Offsets: +38 +37 +36 +35 +34 +33 +32

Notes: evo wheels fall into this catagory. if u lower your car, yes u may/will hav to roll your rear guards, although stock hieght should be fine

Known combinations to work:

evo 7 rims: 17x8 +38
evo 8 rims: same
evo 9 rims: same
evo X(10) rims: 18x8.5 +38

17x8.5+38

17x8+35

18x9 +35

18x8.5 +35

18x9 +38

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
9" +38 (which I run), 8.5" +32 & 8" +25 all have the same outer position (give or take half a mm). That's what I'd call "flush", at the front at least. Close to flush at the rear if you correct camber.

Each step you go up brings the wheel in 1mm (ie +26 is 1mm further in than +25). The opposite for each step lower.

It is all down to personal preference. I wouldn't be satisfied with Evo rims on my car as they'd be too sunken for my liking, but most people think they're perfect.

G

Unregistered
What about a set of G.Max Drift 6?

m126large.jpg

Very very light, comes in 18x8" and clears Evo Brembo's for a very decent price.

Speak to Ivan (x3emotorsports) as he had a deal running here, was a while ago now, but may still be able to do a deal for you.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
True I forgot the unfortunates.

Subtract the width of your flares from the numbers I posted for flushness on flares, but be prepared to start cutting...

edit - the G-Max wheels are a good budget option. They're kind of like the time attack crowd's version of Drift Teks though...

G

Unregistered
9" +38 (which I run), 8.5" +32 & 8" +25 all have the same outer position (give or take half a mm). That's what I'd call "flush", at the front at least. Close to flush at the rear if you correct camber.

How flush are your wheels (ie how far do they extend past the guards)? Do you think I could get away with a set of 8.5" +29? No flares at the moment, but on the cards for the future.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
8.5 +29 sits only 3mm further out than a 9 +38.

Piece of piss. What have you found in this size?

9 +38 with 225/40 below.

Image027.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

Top Bottom