Haltech Miniceptor - Limitations??

G

Unregistered
Just looking at the haltech miniceptor units, seems like a pretty neat little thing! What would be the limitations on it in a real world sense, ie, if i wanted to go to larger turbos, injectors, afm, etc, can this be tuned with the miniceptor? Has anyone had any experience with it?

Cheers, Bart.

G

Unregistered
Best person to speak to is Dave at RPW ... (Mitsiman)
He loves his Haltech computers :)

G

Unregistered
The miniceptor/interceptor like any piggy back has some limiations but on the Galant/Legnum for the majority of owners you won't reach it.

You can't use larger injectors with it, but then again, unless you go with larger turbo's thats not going to be an issue.

It has its own inbuilt eletronic boost controller, so you save there.You can't change the AFM meter, but then again why would you need to as the one on there is already large enough and again, unless you change turbos...

Once you start changing turbo's, then your really starting to get into the realms of a full ems system. If its a manuel, then its no problem. Autos woudl require the EMS to be pigy back installed to run parallel with factory ecu, easy to do.

G

Unregistered
Cheers for the info! Looks like a good option ecu wise.

Is there much to gain economy wise with legnums, or even tuning to run on 95?

Cheers, Bart.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
From the info I can find, interceptor and miniceptor are exactly the same unit software and capability-wise. The difference is in the exterior casing.

The miniceptor is alloy cased and isn't waterproof whereas the interceptor is plastic cased and is waterproof.

Seeing as though you'll end up with it inside your car, it doesn't really matter which one, just get the cheaper one as the software is the same.

Ultimately, you'll get better results from a full aftermarket ecu like the E8 as they have more tuning points etc, but if you can't afford it (which is fair enough!) go for the miniceptor. You will definitely get gains no matter which one you use. Steer clear of greddy and those ones, I personally don't like SAFC's either.

G

Unregistered
Even though its in another thread, I thought I would update this one so we can continue a specific thread for the Haltech unit for people interested in using them.

To confirm RPW has successfully installed one onto the vehicle and it worked supurbly.

The unit controlled

Ignition Map +/- 20 degrees
Fuel Map +/- 100% on the air flow meter input/output
Boost Control - full ability to increase boost to whatever your desired level

Anyone wanting to use these units, they can be ordered from the RPW website. When ordering, if you advise that you vehicle is a VR4 I will provide a basemap to load onto the unit, wiring diagram for installation.

It only takes around 2 hours to wire the unit up (1 1/2 hour to wire up / 1/2 hour to get access to the wiring harness), and the car can be driven straight away on a "Zero" map setting other than boost control which will be effected straight away, although the base map we provide, will set the boost close to the factory settings.

The below link is for the miniceptor unit for those thinking of ordering.

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.ph...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31

If you have any questions regarding this feel free to ask away, specifically on the ecu package.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
So if we get this unit from you, wire it in ourselves, do you have recommended Haltec tuners in each state? ie. here in SA, if I get one of these, who would you recommend?

Cheers
Lee

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Wow, didn't realise these units were so pricey. I would assume that noone currently produces a plug and play unit.

What can these do over an SAFC?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Bega muffler centre is who'll be doing my E8 when it comes time. He's doing all the other work to my car too. Beau is a genius. He makes a lot of base maps for Haltech.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Joel - seems like MAF signal, boost control and timing can be done with the miniceptor, whereas SAFC only controls MAF signal - so I would presume its the same functions the same as e-Manage blue (not ultimate)?

G

Unregistered
nobody mentioned about the SAFC2 being a piece of rubbish??

although it has a pretty blue screen, +1 for that :p

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
What makes you say the SAFC II is a piece of rubbish? at about half the cost, it provides half the functions. So really, its great for what it is, but don't expect it do to the job of the miniceptor OR the emanage.

G

Unregistered
Their coarse tuning and invitingness (sp?) to fiddle makes it a pretty easy way to unintentionally lean out your mixtures.

If your finding it useful, im glad, im just speaking from experience, ive known alot of motors to pop because of SAFC's. I just think if your gonna do it, do it properly, just bending the MAF voltage confuses the ECU quite a bit, usually ending in lean conditions of super rich because the stock ecu is trying to compensate.

Cheers, Bart.

Top Bottom