Have I stuffed it?

G

Unregistered
Hi Guys,

Quick question...

I was going to change my rear diff oil and accidentally drained my AYC fluid. I immediately put the drain plug back in and pumped the old fluid back in through the AYC filler hole - will this be ok? Or do I now need to go through the AYC bleeding process?

Can someone let me know ASAP. Thanks guys!

Marc

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Did you completely drain it?? If so there is a slight possibility that air might be in the lines, which will require bleeding.

Have you serviced your AYC yet (full flush and bleed) if not, take this as the perfect opportunity.

Use the correct oil.... very important.

G

Unregistered
Yeah pretty much drained it. I realised just as it started to ebb. I had the AYC flushed when I bought it so it doesn't "need" it if there's no air in the lines...

If I take it for a drive will I know if it's got air in the lines? What damage could I do?

G

Unregistered
Also can someone please clarify something for me...

The "Torque transfer mechanism" takes "Mitsubishi Genuine Diaqueen AYC Fluid"
The "fluid level inspection" from the boot via the "maintenance lid" takes "Mitsubishi Genuine Diaqueen ATF-SPII"

Which is the fluid that requires the bleeding?

Do I just need to carry out "Step 5" as per this: http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1885 or the whole thing?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Also can someone please clarify something for me...

The "Torque transfer mechanism" takes "Mitsubishi Genuine Diaqueen AYC Fluid"
The "fluid level inspection" from the boot via the "maintenance lid" takes "Mitsubishi Genuine Diaqueen ATF-SPII"

Which is the fluid that requires the bleeding?

It is a bit mis-leading. The ONLY fluid that goes into the torque transfer diff (AYC) is either Mitsi SPIII or Amsoil ATF. NOTHING ELSE.

Do I just need to carry out "Step 5" as per this: http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1885 or the whole thing?

To be safe i would bleed the two sides but if you only drained the sump i am pretty sure that if you re-fill as per the instructions (On Trev's guide) you should be ok. There should be fluid already in the lines and it would stay in there if the pump was not operating. If the reservoir was empty and the pump was in operation that is when it sucks air (AFAIK)

What step 5 were you referring to?

G

Unregistered
Thanks for your reply godzilla.

OK from some more reading I did if the AYC pump sounds normal when cornering then I should be all good. If I hear the pump making more noise than usual I have air in the system and need a bleed.

Does this sound like a valid theory?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Sounds right Marc. When I got my Legnum, I had groaning occasionally from the rear - had the AYC serviced by Steve Knight which included a bleed and never heard another noise again ;)

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Thanks for your reply godzilla.

OK from some more reading I did if the AYC pump sounds normal when cornering then I should be all good. If I hear the pump making more noise than usual I have air in the system and need a bleed.

Does this sound like a valid theory?

Yep, or you will hear it as it primes when you first take off.

G

Unregistered
Just went for a spin and it sounds like I have got some air in the system. :( Is it ok to take out the AYC fuse for now until I have a chance to bleed it? Will this do any damage if I drive it like this?

Thanks for all your help so far guys!

G

Unregistered
You haven't drained any oil from the ayc pump circuit as there is no drain plug for it.

Where did you put the fluid back into. If the AYC pump reservoir trhen you have no oil in the torque transfer mechanisim. Do not drive the car until this is replaced

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Just so it clear, Torque Transfer Mechanism, is also called the AYC Clutch Packs.

I think you've had your car for 18+ months now Marc, the AYC is supposed to be serviced atleast every 20,000k's so I'd assume its due to be done.....

If its unclear where these are located and how to drain and fill here are a couple of pic's..... Clutch Pack will take 670ml's of Dia Queen AYC Fluid or Dia Queen SP-III ATF or AMSOIL AFT SP-III, anything else and you might experience problems...

Fill here !!
AYC1-1.jpg

Drain here !!
AYC1.jpg

G

Unregistered
Thanks Peter / Kat.

Using Kat's diagrams - I drained from the AYC Clutch Drain and filled back into the AYC Clutch Fill. So this means everything is ok and I don't need to bleed anything? (i.e there is no air in the system?) Please confirm?

If so I will go and get some new fluid and replace the clutch pack fluid with brand new stuff and then I have fully serviced my rear diff. Is that correct?

G

Unregistered
Yes that's ok but if you are hearing something apart from the pump priming then it would be worth changing all 3 fluids if not already done. I haven't heard anything from my ayc apart from when the car starts and the pump is primed

G

Unregistered
OK guys, I got some SP-III ATF and replaced the clutch pack fluid so should be all good.

Thanks for everyone's help!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The point to re-fill the diff is slightly out of shot in that picture, it is right at the back of the diff about 50% of the way up (but it looks and feels like it is 70% of the way up)

You should have been refilling using that and NOT the one in the boot.

Top Bottom