HELP! Engine Oil Drain Problem

SWagon

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jarryd
Drive
Legnum Type S
G'day gents,

Last night i changed the oil and oil filter. before i did this however i tried out a nulon engine cleaner... basically poured in a lil, let the car idle for 10min then began draining.. not much oil came out, maybe half a litre. i let it drain for 45min. i thought it might have just been bloody low (although it shouldn't have as the last time i serviced it wasn't that long ago) anyway i filled up with new oil, new filter and called it a night. today when i drove it i noticed straight away it was a little unhappy while idling (felt rough and shakey) and some smoke coming out the exhaust... drove a little around town as i was out but very gently and was really suspicious so went straight home to drain the oil and change the oil filter again. thought maybe that engine cleaner was still in there. took the bolt out and took off the oil filter, and the same thing happened, only ~half a litre came out! there is definately at least 3 litres of oil in the engine. the dip stick shows that there is oil in the car (checked it numerous times and the car is on level ground - the dip stick says its full!).

Bugga this, i need the car back on the road as soon as possible :(

just wondering if anyone might have any suggestions?

could it be some sludge blocking? oil pump stuffed? etc?

any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

cheers

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Mate, what concerns me is that you are saying that after you changed the oil, the car was running rough and blowing smoke. This could indicate that it is burning oil. BUT, you said at least 3 litres went in. Well that is 1.5 ltrs short as it is. Engine oil flush products are fine. If you drained it for 45 min and less than a litre came out, that's what was in there. Did you check it between the oil changes?

What oil did you use? What filter?
Did you check oil when hot and did you wipe the dipstick first?

chardo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
richard
Drive
2000 type S, Manual and Recaro's
Can you stick your finger into the drain hole and feel if there is something blocking the flow.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
You would think that if it was the oil pump, the oil light would come on due to no oil pressure.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Wow....never had this happen! poke something bent in the hole and see if it is blocked. There has to be a blockage if the dipstick reads full but nothing comes out! I don't think I want to know whats blocking it either :eek:

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
Pulling the sump off will be the quickest way but super messy.

SWagon

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jarryd
Drive
Legnum Type S
fully synthetic 0w-40 last changed 6k ago
thinking i might take her in... any suggestions as to where is good?
meek automotive? sydney inner west is where she is...
i really don't wanna drive her like this so might get the trailer off a mate...

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Jarryd, do you want me to have a look at it? If so give me a call, should be able to meet up one night.

G

Unregistered
I was thinking this, Don't take it as an insult. Does your oil light come on then off a startup?

Well I know someone who took their car to a mechanic for an engine oil change. Got it back with double the engine oil in there, and no fluid in the transmission. That was interesting.

Standard technical support routine, start at the simplest possibilities first.

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
Jarryd, I know a very good mobile guy that knows the Legnum well, he's worked on my car several times. PM me if you want his details....otherwise, I'm also in the inner west, I can come take a gander with Steve.

Top Bottom