Need Help - Engine jerking / Stuttering under light throttle

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Hey guys hope you can help me out with this problem...

It first started happening a few months ago. When I was a bit clumsy with the throttle in the middle of the rev range it would jerk back and forth until I either backed off the throttle all together or put my foot down. At first it would only happen if I was driving like an idiot and on the off the throttle frequently but now it happens in any gear whether Im gentle with the throttle or not. For example its now very noticeable on the highway sitting around 120 with light throttle in fifth gear cruising along it will start jerking, sort of stuttering and gasping like its is struggling to get air or fuel or something. Start going up a bit of incline and it become even more noticeable. If I hold the same speed it will smooth out a bit but if I accelerate slowly from 100-120km/h it is most noticeable. It feels like what I imagine a massive boost leak would feel like, but I have checked most of my piping and cant find anything obvious. Might try soapy water tomorrow and see if anything shows up.
I had an engine mount changed when the problem first appeared but this did not help and the fact that it does it when Im just cruising along makes me think its not a mount problem but an actual engine problem. It also drives fine at full throttle, feel a bit down on power and sluggish but it doesn't stutter or jerk. Would a miss fire cause a problem like this? There was a bit of oil in the spark plug tubes when I changed the plugs about 15,000kms ago, so if is possible for this to be a miss fire thats what I will fix next.
Im just not very good at diagnosing these problems and my mechanics seem to be even worse, so Id love to know what you guys think before I start throwing money at it.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Sounds like an ignition miss mate, more of a coil miss than a plug miss. My other thought was roll stops, which one did you change?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
I still suspect TPS & idle switch adjustment are playing a part here. I had some major random jerkiness at really light throttle when my idle switch was closing before the throttle plate was actually closed. Definitely worthwhile getting yourself a cheap datalogging cable and log what the idle solenoid is doing while you drive.

Then again, there's every chance I'm talking from my bum and this isn't the issue. Getting the cable and software will go a long way to helping you diagnose the fault.

Oil in the plug tubes is bad regardless. Change the seals!

chocco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Christian
Drive
1999 FL Galant VR4 with MMCS
If it does come down to coils, when I do my COP kit you are more then welcome to try my coils and see how they go.
Iv had it boosted up as far as 1.2 bar prior to break down due to horrible plugs. I am confident to say my coils are still
fine to use pending desired boost levels.

The plugs for your coils are all clipped in tight? no loose connectors? No damage to any part of the loom anywhere? Also
wat kind of condition are the 3 leads to the rear bank?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Thanks for the replies. I do have a second hand set of coil packs (believed to be fine) coming in the mail so I will be able to play around with that soon, ill clean them with contact cleaner and put them in see if that helps. My leads should be fine as I put new ICE leads in last plug change, about 10-15,000kms ago. I plan to do plugs and tube seals soon, as well as some new rocker cover gaskets. Ill put new rear injector seals in while I have access to the rear bank also, already did the fronts. Ill check those connections like you mentioned also christian.
Jon it was the front roll stop I changed, but I might as well do the rear one also.
Joey I think the data logging cable is a good idea, Ill see if I can find one. It does feel like something weird is going on, so maybe your onto something there.

noony

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Paul
Drive
Black 99 FL
Coil packs in the work postage pickup!
Gets picked up tomorrow

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
I had a similer problem like this twice first time turned out to be the ecu droped a injector cerkit ( steve could give more info on that subject) 2nd time was wirring to the water temp sensor. Just a thought

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Very good point. May be worthwhile inspecting your ecu as some of the drivers for circuits can and do fail. Look for leaking capacitors and burned traces. Maybe try swapping ECUs too if it's an option?

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
does the stuttering go away under full throttle? if its only occuring under light throttle (ie closed loop ECU conditions) it could be a faulty 02 sensor? i guess you could unplug the o2 sensor and see if that makes the situation alter or not. (and check for error codes in the first instance.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Got this problem sorted today! Thanks for the advice offered by everyone but luckily it turned out to be something very cheap and easy to fix, a cracked intercooler hose. I guess it was opening under a certain load/boost and causing the jerking, but it would otherwise stay somewhat closed. Must of started as a small split as the problem just slowly got worse and worse until I poked my finger in the crack and made the car almost undrivable.

The car is now running the best it has run since I have owned it so the problem must of been there to begin with. Even when I had the tune done it didn't feel this quick and Steve did notice it was a bit slow making boost. Actually feels as quick as my legnum used to and makes boost very quickly like a VR4 should.

A picture of the culprit...
photobucket-5552-1355117790196.jpg

Sleepyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew Reddel
Drive
1997 Vr4 Legnum
Which hose was it ... need to check mine as i know I have a leak in there

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Top one, behind the drivers side headlight. Could just as easily happen to any of those black hoses though.

Top Bottom