Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
Help me please - I'm stranded! AGAIN!

Hi Guys,

some of you may have seen some of my other threads..
Long story short, I bought Ivor's legnum and after 30km's the gearbox stopped working... I was in drive at about 40% throttle and then the car seemed like it was having trouble selecting gears and then never managed to.

I pulled over onto the nature strip and shut off the car and restarted and tried again, but nothing happens! the engine starts fine, 'P' gear works but when I go to forwards or reverse it seems to try to select the gear, but if I rev at all the car just rev's freely and doesn't move.

What should I do?

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Stuart, is the gear selector letters on the dash Flashing??? Also check the A/T fluid level, they are very sensitive to low oil levels, (Car has to running to check the A/T Fluid levels)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Does the speedo react at all? I'm guessing your torque converter splines have exploded, it is fairly common on the autos.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
must admit I'm not at the car right now - I will check these things asap before towing it...

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
After only 30 kms??? Man, that sucks big time! Hope you get it sorted out without too much hassle. I wonder what Ivor has to say about it?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
When you tow it, make sure it is on a flat deck truck with all wheels on the truck

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
After only 30 kms??? Man, that sucks big time! Hope you get it sorted out without too much hassle. I wonder what Ivor has to say about it?

basically tough luck

@bradc - yeah I'm going to get a tilt tray

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
This is one of my worst nightmares when buying a car. Hope it isnt too expensive for ya mate.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
search on cvr4 for torque converter splines. It happens all the time on the 4 speed autos in n/a legnums, but every so often in VR-4's too

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I see, i just don't remember reading it on here. I hope its not serious Stuart. Everyone spoke so highly of Ivor's Legnum, i hope it's nothing that he could have forseen.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
The auto box on my Legnum spat chunks when we did the first fluid change after getting the car from Japan, and had to be rebuilt. It cost me about 3k, minus labour, and was done using upgraded parts to help strengthen it. I can give you the number of my mechanic in Bundoora who did the work if you like? He's old school, but will do it well, and on the money with the amount of work required to get the damn thing out of the car.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
The auto box on my Legnum spat chunks when we did the first fluid change after getting the car from Japan, and had to be rebuilt. It cost me about 3k, minus labour, and was done using upgraded parts to help strengthen it. I can give you the number of my mechanic in Bundoora who did the work if you like? He's old school, but will do it well, and on the money with the amount of work required to get the damn thing out of the car.

Yeah please pass on the details. though to be honest 3k is reallly pushing what I can stretch for atm.

update on when I got back to the car - no selector/'N' lights flashing no lights on on the dash

Speedo doesn't respond when I rev in 'D'

so unless my understanding of gearboxes is a bit whacky that means the basically the gears are no longer meshing/selecting out of neutral so that it is in neutral all the time (the light does show as '1' or 'R' when I select drive or reverse) or that the engine is not connecting with the box.. so from what I've read (again I could be wrong) I'm thinking either the torque converter or the wave spring

SO the car has been towed to the place I'm moving into tomorrow (renting in templestowe) and I checked the fluid levels in the fairly flat garage, but they seemed to me to be acceptable

Anything else I should do for fault finding or is this really a case of cop it sweet and hand it to a mechanic and lube myself up to try to ease the pain?

Can people please recommend me someone who can be trusted and a good price in nort eastish melbourne?

Cheers guys - this is a worse feeling than when I first got dumped in high school many years ago o_O

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
What about tip tronic? Does it just rev and make no noise at all? Does the dash light up D when it is in drive?

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
No difference between tiptronic and normal as far as I can tell

Is an ECU reset something I should do? how would that effect the safc?

G

Unregistered
It will make no difference to the SAFC but try and read the fault code before removing the battery

Top Bottom