HELP! Need a RADIATOR ASAP!!!

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
My car is in the shop with a cracked radiator and I need a new one ASAP!

I figured Michael's Auto parts had a 40mm racing radiator in stock (cause they told me they did!) and when the mechanic rang them the guy was like "awrr no we have only Manual trans radiator not for auto" FARK!
so now I am stuck without a car for the weekend and even into next week unless someone out there knows where I can a: get a replacement radiator from or b: knows what other radiators (evo maybe) will fit into our cars?

Anyone?
I would obviously like to upgrade to an all alloy one, but at this point if anyone even has a working stock one they want to sell me, I'll take it!

HELP

(Kat. You're a freak helper! I bet you have one spare somewhere LOL!)

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
Further to this, I just found out that its very hard to find an all alloy radiator for an auto, but if I buy an Auto trans cooler then I can install the Manual Trans Radiator and run the auto trans cooler seperate.
My mechanic however does not like the idea of just running the auto trans seperate and says "I can do it, but dont get pissed at me if your auto blows up"

any advice guys?

I have no idea

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
i didnt even know the radiators are different, why would an engine radiator be different for an auto vs a manual vr4

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Alex, I wish I could wave the magic wand, BUT, I'm at a loss of where to source one locally ASAP, there is a heap on BIDJDM, but these will take about a week to get delivered.

I'm in the same position as you, I have just found a miniscule hairline crack in my top header tank just below the radiator cap, I'm going to uses a "Michaels" and modify it by running a couple of 10mm Al tubes through bottom tank and TIG them in, plus run a cooler.

I gather your mechanic is concerned about warming the oil when car is cold? was this the reason for his statement about blowing the tranny??

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Wes,

in bottom tank of auto radiator, they pass the AT fluid via pipes to pre warm it when the car is cold, also helps to cool and maintain fluid temps when transmission is getting a workout.....

I'm not even sure that they use a different OEM radiator between the manual and auto equipped VR4's. they probably just screw plugs in the holes if it's in a manual.... perhaps some of our guru's can confirm / flame me on this..... would like to know myself...... I'll have a look on caps and see what I can find.

G

Unregistered
get the manual rad and a decent size trans cooler,

the trans cooler in the auto rad is shit! its just like a length of pipe pn the bottom of the rad,
and with the temps you guys see in aus, very insufficient,

any medium or larger transcooler would be better than the factory POS

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
Thanks Kat!
Just got told that the radiator is rebuild-able and since the warranty bastards are not covering it and its costing ME money I think I'll just go this option.
Besides, my wife is lurking and me thinks she will take this car as her own.

Thanks for the advise and yeah, Wes, I had no idea either.

PS: Wes, tell Renee to answer my damn email! LOL (6 cars?! hahaha, man I confused her)

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Alex,

From what I understand the top tanks (Fibre-plastic composite) on the original radiators are crap and are prone to cracking (Gly???) if its a repaired you'll be back in the same position again at some point, the Aliminium one should last a hell of a lot longer, as Gly points out just use a descent Transmission cooler, the autos really need one anyway

I just checked ASA
Auto MR212455
Man MR212454

so they must be different...

G

Unregistered
yep the auto one is technically smaller due to the in built trans-cooler,

and yes they are prone to cracking, although I've only had this happen on my old 6g galant,

personally id go with an alloy job. rather than throwing money at something that IMO is really not up to spec,
if you plan to track or even do a bit of spirited driving i wouldn't even consider a refurbished unit.

and id put on a aftermarket trans-cooler regardless of what you choose to go with.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The radiators are in fact different, well the bottom tanks at least are different. I would suggest simply getting a big cooler and the manual radiator if you can't find a stock one.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Someone on here got a brand new one from NZ for $200 posted.

Was posted on here just this week, have a search...

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
Sweet! Perfect copy of OEM radiator. Thankyou all SO MUCH for all of your help and input
Seriously! For once my wife is praising this site and not giving me shit for it, have just placed order and awaiting delivery. (damn the weekend!)... *sorry weekend, I didn't really mean that

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
sound like we have an associate member of the leggie ladies sub group. glad to hear your set Alex, now I'll have to see about getting an Aliminium one for me........

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
sound like we have an associate member of the leggie ladies sub group. glad to hear your set Alex, now I'll have to see about getting an Aliminium one for me........

LOL! I'll tell her that one, she'll like it, and thanks again Kat.

when I get my second leggie for me I'll come back and see how you go with the all alloy rad.
On second thought, when I get my second Legnum, Im pitching a tent in your front yard and not leaving until I have stolen all I can from that brain of yours. :p:love:

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
brad..... I'm so not going there, I know he'd only have to ask and you do the same.:p

I lend a hand where i can

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
I've been running my tranny cooler without the radiator now for over a year now with no probs.;)

Top Bottom