frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
I just jacked my car up to do the oil and noticed this pasty looking yellowish stuff (thick!) all over near the front left... kinda like where the control arms and stuff is, and where my brace connects to (it is on the brace a bit too) and above..

it looks foul, and cant be good.. theres quite a lot of it but no evidence of dripping where i park... what is it is probably my best question..

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
could it be differential fluid or something? its really thick.. like a cream almost.. and an off white, almost yellowy sorta colour.. its coming from pretty far up, so im assuming higher than the diff :S i dont know

G

Unregistered
what does it smell like? it could be breather line leakage, the yellow stuff could be blow by.
my catch can was gunky with a fuel smelling yellow paste crap in side..
dsc05022fo8.jpg

dsc05020xs9.jpg

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
kinda like that but less yellow... Ill get pics soon..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Josh I've had my coolant hoses off for a couple of months (Ivan used them to make the silicone ones) and I noticed yesterday that a lot of yellow gunk had dripped down over the diff and dried, while in some places it was still a gooey ooze.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
could it be your cv joint grease? does it look like splatter? if it does.. check your cv joints and boot.. see if the splatter lines up with it.. if it does then thoroughly check your cv boots

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
it looks like its coming from higher than that christian, and a long drip all the way down to my brace...

My uncle said it sounds like whipped oil from my breather/airbox but to check for more

G

Unregistered
I think the CV grease is yellow from replacing the cv boot last year and it will end up all over the area you mention as it will be thrown out of the seal if it is split or has come off the joint

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
+1 for CV boot grease, one split on our old Liberty last year and holy crap where DIDN'T it go...

G

Unregistered
LOL^^^^ I had the same with my proton the stuff went every were but it was a little thicker. That stuff looks like water has mixed with some realy old compressor oil have a look around for a leak in your air con pipes or even look at your shockers dont some have oil and gas??

G

Unregistered
+1 for CV boot grease, one split on our old Liberty last year and holy crap where DIDN'T it go...

+2. I swapped out a split inner CV boot about 18 months ago. I used a geniune Mitsu repair kit and the grease is yellow. It has quite a thin consistency - Almost like slightly oily custard!

And yes, because it's a relatively thin grease, it gets flicked all over the shop, sasserfrasser,muttermutter....:mad:

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
pour petrol all over it then wash it down with water :D old trick they do back home..

G

Unregistered
i love petrol it cleans everything. as the boys have said check the cv joints if its not that check breather line, the oil gunk in my catch can wasnt that yellow it just looks bright cause it was at night and the flash was on..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Josh messaged me earlier the today.. confirmed that it is the cv boots.. poor fella.. one after another..

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
no luck with my car hey? :p its just one problem after the next as christian said. Yes, i took it to APC, and it is a split CV boot. I am going to just replace the driveshafts and cvs and get my standard ones reconditioned to sell back to the very nice person helping me with the cvs... kinda got this idea sorted out though so its already set to happen. Just going to wait till i got a few spare $$ for labour. Should only be a couple/few hours aparently.. varying car to car.

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
What about the remanants of a squashed cane toad which the car ran over? That's kinda gooey and yucky yellow I think? :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom