HELP!!!! What have I fried?

Zapata

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Zeb
Drive
1996 Mitsubishi Legnum
While changing all my interior lights to LED's I managed to short the rear festoon globe against the body. Didn't think too much of it at the time but later noticed that the keyhole illumination stays on all the time. It doesn't go off after 10 seconds or so like it is meant to.

Trawling through the US Galant manual in the chassis electrical system I found a section in the troubleshooting that has got me worried. It basically says that if the light stays on then it is most likely caused by either a short in the wiring or a problem with the ECU.

galant test.JPG

To test which one it is I need to disconnect connector C-134 from junction block (1).

Can anyone tell me where the junction block is and which connector it is?

Either way the car will be going to a sparkie but would be nice to be able to narrow it down a bit more before doing that.

Zapata

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Zeb
Drive
1996 Mitsubishi Legnum
Yeah, that's what the workshop manual has to say.

G

Unregistered
You might have just blown a fuse, I've done the same thing a couple of times while tinkering and everything went haywire! Weird things happened that seemed totally unrelated. Are the interior lights themselves working now? Once I changed the fuse all was good again.

I think it was fuse #1 in the engine bay fuse box, check out the third photo down here:

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?8667-VR4-Fuses-Cabin-and-Engine-Bay

Zapata

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Zeb
Drive
1996 Mitsubishi Legnum
All the interior lights still work, but I will change the fuse anyway to see if it makes a difference.

Zapata

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Zeb
Drive
1996 Mitsubishi Legnum
Checked the fuse, wasn't blown. The pins were a little black so I changed it for another one but didn't make a difference. The keyhole illumination light stayed on the whole time :(

sanchez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
rodrigo
Drive
legnum
You can check the insulation scenario above by disconnecting from the ecu and then bell the cables out, if you still have a circuit with the plug floating then you have a short between wires, if it's open then it's heading more towards the ecu.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Just as an FYI if you are not aware its not your ENGINE ecu but the body / etacs module that would be the culprit (as opposed to the engine ecu)

stupid suggestion; what happens if you remove the globe you shorted.

Zapata

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Zeb
Drive
1996 Mitsubishi Legnum
And the answer to the question is....

I damaged the ETACS ecu. :(

From what was posted here and some more searching of the forums I found an electrical wiring manual in the VR4 Manuals thread. While not been for our exact model it was pretty close and indicated that junction 1 was the fuse box under the dash and it also had a connector referred to as C-134. When I pulled the plug out the light went out.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions on where too look.

For future reference if anyone else has a similar problem, the junction block is the fuse box in the cabin. In the image below (shamelessly stolen from Kat's fuse thread) you can see 2 plugs above R-3. C-134 is the one on the left, next to R-1.
CabinFusesLabeled.jpg

So, next question is, does anyone have an ETACS ecu for sale?

G

Unregistered
The thing that does most of the other stuff that's not related to moving :D

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey.

You might want to specify pre facelift or facelift. As I expect that they would be different. Not by much but the additional driving light would be etacs controlled. As would the additional functions in the facelift key remote.

Regards

Gavin

ENEMY-1

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Otti
Drive
97 legnum
I may have a similar problem. My side mirrors won't auto fold away and my rev and speedo needle won't light up. Yet all fuses seem to be fine and I've changed the LEDs in the needles them selfs. The strange part is that all the gauges work perfectly. Any clue?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Yeah my needles don't light up either, But I know they work cause sometimes it will flash on for a few seconds

ENEMY-1

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Otti
Drive
97 legnum
But another odd thing is that both my fuel and temp needles work perfectly.
I'll check my relays. Then if all else fails I'll have to go to a sparky

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Yup same deal with mine, fuel and temp work fine. Not sure about mirrors, I dont use that feature. Sounds like we might have same problem, would love to know how to fix it.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Lancers get a similar issue from hairline cracks in the pcb behind the guages, lights stop working with low ambient temps. Maybe VR4s suffer this fault too?

ENEMY-1

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Otti
Drive
97 legnum
If cracks are the cause of the needles not operating then why doesn't the auto hide feature on my mirrors work. They fold in and out easy it's just the auto function that doesn't seem to do anything

Top Bottom