HID Install

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Hi all, just a quick qustion, is it necessary to install a relay when fitting H7 HID bulbs? On the instructions is shows a relay but on the back of the box it doesn't so I am a bit confused.

Gary

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I just spliced the factory wires and rewired the HID's to work off that.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure. The instructions are a bit ambiguous.

Gary

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
i dont hav hid's but i think i used to as its a birdsnest of wires and i dont hav the rubber plugs for the back of the bulbs :S

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Another question, I have just gone for a drive and noticed the light displayed from the HID's is "broken", not a solid stream. Do I need to remove the metal cap inside the low beam? could this cause the light to look like it does?

Gary

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
its because vr4 headlights are not projector style, so the light will be scattered. u will have to angle the low beams very low so they dont blind other people.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Thanks Steve, palyed around with the alignment last night, managed to get the "stream" nice.

Gary

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
No problems, will take some tonight

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Nothing worse than nobs with HID's in non HID reflectors.

I can agree in "some" cases; and this has been debated before on here. But honestly; 90% of the time I get hit in the eye's by HID's, they are from factory installs. Especially Honda Account Euro, Mazda 3, Merc's and BMW's; or $%^#$&n 4WD's that are at your head height anyway.

I have stood in front of my car; and been in a car driving in front of it; and can honestly say it doesn't have any affect; obviously if you stare at the actual lights they look super bright, but the "beam" does not reflect everywhere. By no means is the beam as clear cut as the normal globes, but you can clearly see the cut off line. I think the secret is finding that sweet spot when adjusting your lights, POST install.

anyway just me 2c from my personal experience. I have never been flashed by anyone since installing my HID's

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
^^^^^ thats why i adjusted mine at night

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
yes u can adjust them so they are reasonable, but will never be as good as a projectors. which is why im planning on getting some projectors and putting them in mine. just duno where to get them.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
yes u can adjust them so they are reasonable, but will never be as good as a projectors. which is why im planning on getting some projectors and putting them in mine. just duno where to get them.

Flea-bay... there is plenty on there for fairly cheap. Or perhaps a wreckers from a fairly new car; even the old Fairmont from 89' or something had projectors.

I adjusted mine @ night too. But I agree they will never be as good as projectors; but then again I didn't pay the money either; it is a compromise I guess. Ideally I would love cibies; but we all know how rare and exxy they are.

Top Bottom