HOW TO: Customise your Windows 7 Logon screen (OZVR4 Style)

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
G'Day Guys,

Thought I'd put this up there for the personal touch to your PC.

ozvr4windows7.jpg

This is how I put the photos provided here by "OVR444" (Brett) to good use. I had a copy of the image resized to fit my desktop... and asked myself how would I use it as a logon screen?

This DOES involve digging around the Windows Registry so be *real* careful... use it at your own risk and don't blame me if things go awry.

Ok, on with the shenanigans!

1) Click onto your "start" and in the "search" field, type in REGEDIT

2) Navigate through the registry settings folders to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background

3) Right-click the word OEMBackground in the right handed pane, select Modify on the menu. Another windows will pop up. Change the value from 0 to 1 as I have below.

regeditlogonscreen.jpg

4) Find your custom image. It must be less than 256kB. It will stretch your picture to fit. I made mine down to 1366x768, because that's the size of of 15" widescreen so it wouldn't stretch.

5) Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds. You may need to create the folder, "Info" and then inside that one, "backgrounds".

6) Place the image file in there. It HAS to be renamed as "backgroundDefault.jpg" or else the Registry setting you created before won't pick up your new file.

No need to restart... logoff to bask in your handiwork!

NOTE: If you have a laptop with a custom logon screen already there (eg: Acer laptops), you will need to backup those pictures already found there in the ".../backgrounds/" folder and replace your custom image there.

Enjoy!

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Ey! Very nice! If you want; please edit my username from "w1k3d" to OVR444 as I no longer use the old account.

If anyone needs a resize. I would be happy to do what I can. Great write up Gavin ... much kudos !

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
*HEH* no worries Brett... I work as an IT instructor so this method got shown to my clients today (custom logon screens, etc).

I decided to go for a live example and figured "why not?"

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Just tried this on Ultimate 64 bit and it didnt work for me.... Though managed to make it work with another tool..

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
64-bit users can try this key.... Haven't done it myself as I don't have a 64 bit machine handy at the moment

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Thanks for the feedback guys... interesting to note since I do use Windows 7 Ultimate x64 edition.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Ey! Very nice! If you want; please edit my username from "w1k3d" to OVR444 as I no longer use the old account.

If anyone needs a resize. I would be happy to do what I can. Great write up Gavin ... much kudos !

Would I be able to get all those resized images too? 1920x1080?

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Hi all, can someone please reduce the file size of this fron 411kb to 250kb (below) and maintaining it as 1280x800?
ready_to_race_hd_wallpape_by_GrzeSSss.jpg

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Done mate... 217kb

Attachments

• Resized.jpg
    Resized.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 81

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
brilliant! thanks!

EDIT:

Question: Is Win7 capable of extending the logon screen background onto the second monitor? Because it only shows one screen and the second goes blank when you lock the PC/notebook.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Only one monitor is recognised until logon, when the rest of drivers for the display actually kick in.

With a triple monitor ATi "Eyefinity" setup, there is a bit of overlap between the three screens, but only because "Eyefinity" sees it as a single monitor, not three discreet desktops.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Was messing around with CS5; here's another someone may want to use for their boot-screen.

(Original size is 1080p)

OZVR4_sticker_wet.jpg

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Here's one that some might like...
gvr4.jpg

Top Bottom