Corrupt

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Nick
Drive
Daily: 1998 Galant VR-4
Project: 1934 Ford Roadster
So after 10+ years or so my bodge fix has come to bite me in the arse...

Long story short, when i first imported the car none of the power windows worked at all, checked all the fuses/relays and just to be sure replaced all the related fuses/relays, still no windows...

My bodge fix to get the car over pits and get them all working was to jam the relay closed (open?) so that it had power 100% of the time, even with ignition off, as kinda handy as it was this of course meant my battery was constantly being drained that lead to jump-starting/charging every few months. Not Ideal...

After replacing 3 (three) century batteries over that time i upgraded to the Optima Red Top about 18 months ago i have pulled out the relay completely and not had power windows since.

Anyone come across this sort of issue or might have a good idea of where i can look myself before i hand it to an auto sparky to hopefully solve? I'm almost convinced its not the switches/window motors etc as they were working with the relay bodged, my best guess is a bad wiring connection SOMEWHERE along the line, a clamped/squashed wire or a fuse box problem.

I might cross-post this on the Facebook group if i need more eyes on it.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I think the little ecu behind the radio with yellow plugs has the computer that controls the windows.
Maybe it's faulty?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Power windows have a lot to do with the ETACS system, which is clipped into the back of fuse box.

Corrupt

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Nick
Drive
Daily: 1998 Galant VR-4
Project: 1934 Ford Roadster
I think the little ecu behind the radio with yellow plugs has the computer that controls the windows.
Maybe it's faulty?
Hmmm i wonder if there is any way to test if it is faulty? other that getting another one and swapping them over...
Power windows have a lot to do with the ETACS system, which is clipped into the back of fuse box.
I will certainly check this out, that whole fuse box area will be my main focus of investigation.

Cheers for the ideas so far, will update with any progress i make.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
If got a spare or two if you want to try another one

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Maybe it's faulty?

Yellow plugs is SRS system.

The other small black box behind radio is the receiver for the keyfob to unlock/lock car. This interfaces with ETACS

ETACS controls all body functions like central locking, interior light and power windows.

Top Bottom