HRC Performance Fuel Pumps - Maybe a Walbro Alternative?

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
I did a google search of 'Walbro failure'.... the results are surprising...there's ton of them failing. Mind you, one common cause is to run the car low on fuel for extended periods of time, they then over heat & can cause premature failure. Which admittedly, because my setup uses 12 baby seals per kilometre, happens to me quite regularly :oops:

I bit the bullet & bought the Bosch 044. No more half arsing on this motor, Im tired of shitty products failing on me.

Also went with a high flow (30 micron) inline filter. Factory units can be quite restrictive apparently. This new one has replaceable elements too.

dsc00120mu.jpg

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
You have to be careful when buying on ebay that you actually get a genuine walbro, and as you can see from this video, there is a big difference.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Bumping up an old thread here but it seems like a good place to ask it. What are all the options we have for replacement fuel pumps? A few people I have talked to aren't convinced that Walbro are as good as they are talked up to be so if they are no good, what else can we use?

I'm after an in tank replacement here not a full blown surge tank setup.

Stanislav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stan
Drive
2009 Audi S3
Bosch 044 or the 040 are popular. Thinking of upgrading mine soon.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
As far as im aware, the Bosch pumps aren't a straight in tank bolt in. They are an inline pump aren't they?

Stanislav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stan
Drive
2009 Audi S3
Im pretty sure they have an in-tank option. Havent bought one yet though so im not 100% certain

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
they can be in-tank, just that they're alot bigger in size.. well the 044 anyway AFAIK

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
What do you need to fit a 044 in the tank? Is that all the options we have?

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
When I had a bosch pump (can't remember if 040 or 044) fitted to my R32 about 7 years ago, I know they had to machine up fittings to install in tank. The fittings were to fit the sock filter to etc. That thing was damn noisy too.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
as far as I remember the size was alot bigger compared to the stock ones.. so I think you will need to get things customized.. (diameter and length i think)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
If that's the case, that will be one of the more expensive options. So basically we have the TRE pumps, the Walbro pumps and these HRC pumps. Does anyone know what the Evo boys like running?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
im waiting for Bruce to come up with a twin pump setup, much like the ones sold for $1k without the pumps..

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
How much is that going to cost? I think thats probably a little bit of overkill for my purposes.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
If that's the case, that will be one of the more expensive options. So basically we have the TRE pumps, the Walbro pumps and these HRC pumps. Does anyone know what the Evo boys like running?
A lot of evos run walbros, unless they are chasing huge power or building a race car. It's cheap, easy to fit and most people have only had good experiences. When you think about how many people use walbros (it has to be the most popular pump around) it's only natural there will be a few horror stories, nothing is perfect.

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
Im now ditching the Bosche 044 :lol:

So far as power & flow, no problems at all, but because the FTO tank is relatively small, I had to run it inline with a Walbro feeding from the tank, it got so god damned loud when it warmed up it was deafening... and that's quite normal I'm told :s

So I'm slightly downsizing to a similar Walbro product, that is much quieter, the GSL392. also going to be used inline. In fact, will almost be a straight swap for the Bosch.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WALBRO-G...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43aa7fa7bc

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
When I get the cash I think ill be going one of these HRC ones. Ive read a few good things about them, they have a better warranty than the Walbro and apparently use better parts.

Top Bottom