Impact guns and performance

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Thanks guys, looks like I just don't have enough torque on mine.

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
Anyone used a Bosch gun? I wws looking at getting one of those eventually, keen to hear how they compare

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
I have a small Bosch driver and have always used Bosch angle grinders, kill an angle grinder every year or two after much abuse but Bosch power tools are of good quality as far as I know.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
The milwaulkees are awesome. A mate of mine runs bish been. Seems fine. I was committed to the battery of Makita so just stuck with it, they're only cars we're working on so not that tight really.

What I've noticed is that the smaller Makita impacts don't work as good as the rating suggests. So you can get 160 and 280nm models and they are ok but they won't get real tight stuff apart. But they're nice and small and light. I have a bigger gun that's 450 which isn't massively more. Craps all over the smaller ones and I've never had a bolt on a car it couldn't undo. Not one.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
I have a bigger gun that's 450 which isn't massively more. Craps all over the smaller ones and I've never had a bolt on a car it couldn't undo. Not one.

That must have been the one I used to remove my wheel nuts last week. Time to ditch all my AEG stuff maybe, unless AEG somehow have a 450Nm+ unit hiding in their catalogue.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
If it was heavy with a single switch running forward and reverse then yeah.

Like i said nothing special about Makita just all of my stuff is Makita for battery swapping. I think i have about 9 makita battery tools so one battery type is handy

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Talking to one of my team mates at work he has AEG at home and swears by them. Reckons its better than his DeWalt he uses at work. Also same company owns Milwaulkee and AEG and are made at same factory. Dont quote me as this is second hand info but AEG might not be as bad as you suspect @Kaldek.

Badger

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
Manual Super Legnum VR4
AEG used to be the best tools you could buy, but they're aren't as good as what they used to be these days, they come out of China now lol

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Talking to one of my team mates at work he has AEG at home and swears by them. Reckons its better than his DeWalt he uses at work.

That doesn't surprise me, as the CEO of one of my previous employers told me how in a previous CEO role for the parent company of DeWalt he basically rebuilt the DeWalt brand as a premium brand without actually making the gear any more premium.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
That must have been the one I used to remove my wheel nuts last week. Time to ditch all my AEG stuff maybe, unless AEG somehow have a 450Nm+ unit hiding in their catalogue.
Sorry, do you actually mean wheel nuts? or axle nuts?
Wheel nuts shouldnt be that tight should they?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Sorry, do you actually mean wheel nuts? or axle nuts?
Wheel nuts shouldnt be that tight should they?
I do mean wheel nuts. My AEG must be more gutless than I thought. I had no issues getting the axle nuts off with my AEG though. Weird.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
I love my ryobi impact, but the 1/2 inch drive one, not the little hex drive thing, older ones like mine have about 270 nm, newer 3 speed ones have 360 nm.

Milwaukee make the bees knees of impact drivers, some now with over 1000 nm of torque. but very exxy.

Also just got Jess a light small De-Walt 10.8v 3/8th drive impact driver with 2.0ah batteries and 130nm, not bad for a light weight little thing.

I only got it out a few times. Turns out the speed settings are torque settings. I was using the first setting expecting it to be slower but higher torque. This is not the case. Higher speed higher torque. Bam popping off bolts like there's no tomorrow now Lol

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Damn I missed out my Ryobi doesn't have speed settings - I would have bought that instead if I knew it existed.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
its actually pretty good now im using it correctly, pretty silly mistake but oh well. made sense to me how i was using it lol

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Damn I missed out my Ryobi doesn't have speed settings - I would have bought that instead if I knew it existed.

Insider tip,
If it's under warranty, return it to your local Bunnings,
They are a 2 year replacement warranty, almost no questions asked, say it cuts out when at full torque.
If they don't have the old model, which I doubt they will, you'll get upgraded to the newest model.

AEG is under Ryobis Parent company Tektronics,
The old AEG models usually become the basis for Ryobis new models.

Makita have two 18v impact guns, one is around 300nm, the other closer to 500nm

I personally have AEG, the hammer drill, impact driver, Rattlegun and cordless grinder(greatest invention ever)

Tas_Legnum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wade
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
I got the Ryobi One+ 1/2" Impact and to start with was mildly unimpressed. But I only had the stock batteries. Grabbed a 5ah one (they have 6s now) and it turned into the gun it was meant to be. Always takes off wheel nuts with ease. I'm a One+ fan. Have the Drill, Impact Driver, Impact Wrench, Corner Cat Sander, Orbital Sander and now the smaller 12v mini drill. They use the same batteries as the Milwaukee M12 range, just with a different clip.

wintertidenz

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
98 Galant VR4
I've got an air impact - one of the Super Cheap branded ones, the heavy duty one. Ramp the air pressure to 110psi or so and there's almost nothing that bastard won't budge.
Done flywheel bolts, exhaust bolts, etc with no issues. Downside is that it needs a compressor...

If the flywheel bolts really piss me off one day I'll just get a 17mm socket for my 3/4" breaker bar, and get them off that way... lol.

Top Bottom