Intake And BOVs

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
I used to always aim for around 3 psi or so. Better to have it a little too tight than too loose (and hence leaking). You can start adjusting from either loose or tight.....doesn't matter.

I'd start by listening for what it's set at from factory, usually loose, i.e. BOV vents with no compressor reversion no matter how much or how little boost you've built. Start tightening it until you notice that at low boost (i.e. partial throttle) when you back off the accelerator the BOV doesn't vent and you get the choof-choof-choof sound of compressor reversion (this could be pretty quiet). Adjust the BOV further until that that cut off pressure is at ~3 psi.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
theres actually a guide on these forums about adjusting a bov... i believe best way is start off with it loose, and tighten it until you can rev the car with someone listening to the bov and tighten it till its not leaking anymore.. i found mine made a high pitched whistling sound until it was tight enough. then i tightened it some more to have it so it only vents around ~5psi+ (depending on load etc obviously..)

edit - here you go http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5785

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
What do you guys recon of this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=248808662

Would you still be able to hear it a bit even though its plumb back?

Also, Are these SSQV the only ones that make a diferent noise or are there more? I really dont want one that just makes a single loud "SHHH" noise.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
on stock boost with stock intercooler pipes itll only go "shhhhhhh" but really high pitched. needs more boost/higher flowing pipes to get the secondary valve opening.

ps, buy a genunie one. mate of mine bought a copy for his s15, lasted a month before the small valve shot out the end.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
SSQV's are cool.... Only the coolest people in the world would have one :p

Make sure you get a genuine one too. A universal fit 34/35 or 38mm one will fit.

Here are some vids of the sound it makes on my car -

Low boost

High boost (I'm the car in front of Paul who is videoing)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
So the SSQV is the only BOV that dosnt just make a single "sshhh" noise? How do you guys find the VTA BOV affecting the car? Any dramas or is there a plumb back option on the HKS ones?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
You'll get shift knock but the car will dump fuel to protect the engine. I had a leaky BOV before so its been a vast improvement for me.

I don't know whether any others are dual type though, sorry :)

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
i got a plumb back adaptor for my ssq, only thing is that the diamter of the exit pipe for the bov is 25mm so i need to get an adaptor made up 25mm =>34mm

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I don't know whether any others are dual type though, sorry :)

So HKS has the only BOV that makes a different noise to all the others? Quite a monopoly they have then huh. Would you still be able to hear it if it were plumbed back?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
dunnno, ill tell you in a few weeks when i plumb mine back

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
That not bad price, but you do know it won't fit a VR4? You will need to get a 35mm universal adapter for it as well to make it fit

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
So HKS has the only BOV that makes a different noise to all the others? Quite a monopoly they have then huh. Would you still be able to hear it if it were plumbed back?

how different are they? I know i get 2 sounds.. 1 is just like a gush of wind when on low boost, then the typical 'POP' when on full boost.. got the HKS SSQV 2

SSQV's are cool.... Only the coolest people in the world would have one :p

that makes me and Dawso COOL!!! (y)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Hehehe.... We are SOOOOOOO cool, we make Antarctica look like a sauna! :)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
That not bad price, but you do know it won't fit a VR4? You will need to get a 35mm universal adapter for it as well to make it fit

Yeah i knew that, thats why I said I still needed to get the adapters ;) thanks for your input guys. Now I have to find out what the best EBC is:D

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Been reading through this thread... So far what I've put together in my noggen is that the HKS SSQV provides a nifty sound, but seems to wreck fuel consumption thanks to venting and stuffing up the MAF... But plumb-back kits will avoid that. Is that about right? Haha this is the first turbo car I've owned :(

Anyone actually fitted the plumb-back kit with the HKS SSQV and fixed the running rich without losing the sound?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Mine uses no more fuel (That I have noticed) than it did with the plumb back...

If you plumb it back you will pretty much lose the sound.

So whats the point of changing them over? Thought you'd never ask :)

You'd swap them because the standard one leaks and the HKS unit won't. :D

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Makes sense!
Do you have it pretty tight to avoid fuel dumps under lighter load? My only real concern is having it run rough as guts without a piggyback and a retune.

Top Bottom