Interesting turbos...

scientist

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Edmund Robinson
Drive
1989 Galant VR4
I was checking around TIAL SPort's Website and noticed they made turbos for the Porsche 911 turbo... and check out the flanges!!

tc_996t-s_m.jpg

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I'm lost, what are we looking at and why exactly?

(Such a turbo noob I know, I know..)

G

Unregistered
perhaps he is refering to the 3 bolt flange possible bolting up to the 6A13 manifolds..

i'd love a pair of variable vane turbo's, all boost, no lag!

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
I don't think they are the variable ones. Pretty sure the variable unit's have a far more complex rear housing.

Does it list any specs for the turbos?

scientist

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Edmund Robinson
Drive
1989 Galant VR4
its a Tial GT28 based turbo charger from the Tial Alpha Series of turbos.

Dual Ball bearing
tc_996t-c_m.jpg

tc_996t-t_m.jpg

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
While flange design is interesting, I wouldn't get too caught up on it - as long as the port sizes are relatively close you can get flange adapters made up to fit no matter what the shape.

RE Variable vane turbos, from what I've read you're likely to pay the cost of one of our cars for a single turbo... Yes the idea's fantastic but while the technology is still relatively new (been around for about a decade, but the new Porsche is the first production petrol engined car with one stock) they are gonna be insanely expensive.

Oh and I wouldn't go taking one from a diesel if I were you, unless you already have a replacement engine lying around ;)

scientist

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Edmund Robinson
Drive
1989 Galant VR4
those turbos aren't VNTs. they are just GT28s flanged for a Porshe 911 GT2/Turbo

G

Unregistered
those turbo's have an insanely large exhaust dump flange for a tiny GT28....

the internal gate looks like it would cause a bit of turbulence too.

scientist

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Edmund Robinson
Drive
1989 Galant VR4
well based on the info on them....the pair is rated to 900 crank HP which makes one of them rated to about 450 per.
might try to get a friend of mine to try it out

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Most GT28 series turbos from Garrett are rated at between 400 and 500hp.

Better off getting a pair of custom manifolds made and a pair of GT2560's as used on GTR's fitted. Still small, but would haul ass!

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
those turbo's have an insanely large exhaust dump flange for a tiny GT28....

the internal gate looks like it would cause a bit of turbulence too.

The turbulence caused by the shape of that rear housing is actually likely to be beneficial. I would have thought that a separate waste gate pipe integrated ~ 1' after the turbo and dump being stepped off the back of the turbine flange would have been better....but packaging always wins.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
It's well & good to say these turbos will bolt up to the manifolds with an adaption plate but these turbos are insanely massive and would require major redesign to the engine bay to even get them to fit. Even TD04L's require the firewall to be beaten back & a slim thermo fan installed. Valmes spent massive amounts of time & $$$ fitting his TD05's.

IMO too much trouble unless you've got $30,000 hiding in a mattress.

Dave from RPW said after he finishes his development of the miniceptor & dump pipe setup that he might look into modifying the original turbos so nothing has to get moved or modified due to lack of space. A great move!

G

Unregistered
2 kidneys
1 liver

I know which organ I'd be selling first, and it's not my liver... :p

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
You can actually donate 1/2 a liver as it's the only organ in the body that can regenerate back to pull size. The only thing is... it freakin hurts!!:eek:

Not sure if I want to go through all that pain & trouble for a 900hp car!

G

Unregistered
from my research I think getting the existing ones high flowed would be best. You dont have to worry about flanges, dont have to worry about size, and dont have to worry about cops or transport as noone will know. Only problems are the limitations to BIG horsepower (should be enough unless you want big ponies high 400's or so I'd say) And the second is waiting for them to get high flowed while your car is off the road, about a week.
I've been thinking and tempted to buy a motor and take off the turbos get them high flowed ready to put in and then put the old ones back on that motor. Like the one for sale on eBay for $850 with the mines computer. Anyone interested in going for a group buy?

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
While I haven't looked in depth myself, everything I've read so far about those turbos suggests there's very little you can get out of "high flowing" them. Being such a physically tiny turbo, it would not surprise me at all if the stock wheels are as big as you can fit in those housings.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
I think it would be a good idea to get a turbo specilist to check out one of them if anyone has one off a car at any stage.

As if we could squeeze just a bit more out of them it could mean greater results with out the expense of replacing and modifying engine bay.

Top Bottom