ISC-N1 Coilovers

G

Unregistered
Hi, my name is Jon.
I resently purchased a Galant VR-4 1999 model and I'm trying to track down some decent coilovers for it. I have had a look at D2's, G4's and racing logic kits and they appear all the same (made in china just rebadged) and I've heard and read mixed opinions on them. Looking at some ISC-N1's at the moment and am trying to find out some info about them (Quoted $1542 delivered).
Does anyone on here own a set or know anything about this particular model set up?
Does the ISC brand have a good name?
If you haven't heard of them or they are no good, any sugestions for future directions?

Any insight is much appeciated,
Jon.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
get teins.. this had been discussed before.. search for 'teins'

another alternative is the 7g galant suspension.. works a treat..

G

Unregistered
I was meant to ask you that Christian, did you ever end up getting those KYB AGX's??

Back on topic, if you were to troll through the internet you'll get a vast range of opinions regarding D2, G4 etc. Mitchy on here recommends the G4's on his Super Legnum, whereas on EvoOZ someone reckoned they were too noisy and unreliable.

For ISC, check out the Nissan Silvia and Skylines Australia, as thats where I've seen their advertising and people using them. The reason why I went past them is that the spring rate for our cars seemed too stiff (12F/8R).

As said above, if you are definitly after adjustables, go with the Teins, they have been proven to work, and there are heaps of positive opinions here and on ClubVR4.

G

Unregistered
I agree that the spring rate seems a bit stiff, prob more suited for the track hey. I took christians advise and had a look at the Tein Jap website. As i can see it my options for tein coilovers are between Super Wagon, Basic Flex Wagon (similarly priced) and Super Flex Wagon (more expensive).
Spring rates between them seem similar (approx 5F/3R) between them, the super flex wagon setup appears to offer a greater height adjustment range (these might be the go).
Is there anywhere in australia that i could source these through, or will i have to buy direct from Japan?

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
If you want to lower your car significantly, then you will need a decent spring rate to stop you hitting the ground, epecially at high speed. It might not sound like a big issue, but you try going over a dip in the road at 180kph and bottoming out.

I found 12/8 front/rear to be fine so long as a low damper setting was used for around town. (4 / 32 front 2 / 32 rear) Even Joanne could tolerate it and even expressed her approval.

btw, I have a non-badged set which are from the same factory as ISC.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I haven't bought the KYB agx since I have more important things to do first, ie.. Timing belt and *ehem* clutch..

Also extra info.. The ralliart 4 way damper adjustable shocks/struts that is catered for 8th gen vr4's are made by KYB japan so, KYB AGX 8 front/ 4 rear damper adjustables are the way for me..

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Seems no one here has ISCs! I run a set on my Silvia and I find them great. And the guy is fantastic to deal with too.

If you want suspension now, without the wait, go for the ISCs over the Teins. For the record, I have Teins on my Galant and I don't see any reason to go with them over the ISCs. Note that you can also option the ISCs with whatever spring rates you want for no extra cost.

G

Unregistered
Seems no one here has ISCs! I run a set on my Silvia and I find them great. And the guy is fantastic to deal with too.

If you want suspension now, without the wait, go for the ISCs over the Teins. For the record, I have Teins on my Galant and I don't see any reason to go with them over the ISCs. Note that you can also option the ISCs with whatever spring rates you want for no extra cost.
Sounds good, do you a link with more info?
What spring rates can we choose from and do they make them Galant/Legnum specific?

G

Unregistered
Ok so this is what I have found out:

Nengun - Super Flex Wagons (GSR42-R1SS3) $1429.08 or $2007.77 delivered (Sunny coast QLD).
So, between the ISC's and the teins, the teins are aprox $500 dearer. I'm almost persuaded to go back to the idea of getting ISC's but with a softer spring rate.
However, I have a mate who reckons he can get relatively cheap teins imported from Japan, he's currently chasing me down a price. How much the price difference ends up being will most likely swey my dicision toward one or the other, because from what I can gather, neither are a bad choice, the teins may result in a slightly softer ride but the ISC's seem better bang for buck.

Hopefully he gets back to me soon...
Thanks for the insight thus far guys, it has been very helpful.
I will let yous know when i make my discision and ultimately, when I put them in.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I got TEIN superwagons for appx $1300 delivered from RHDJapan. I'm happy with them.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
TEIN SUCKS!!! :p

j/k first hand opinion.. THEY'RE GREAT.. installed one in my friend's accord euro, he's got 20" rims on 225/30r20... so imagine how it felt on the factory suspension.. after installing the tein coilovers (can't remember which one) ride was very comfortable and still had control around corners.. so yah.. THUMBS UP FROM ME!!!

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
i just contacted isc this what he had to say
Hi, The coilovers will cost you $1499 + $38 postage. Unfortunatly we do not
have 5kg rates but we can supply you with a 8kg/6kg set up.

I dont know FA bout spring rates etc Is this too stiff for a daily driver anybody wish to comment please.....help a brotha out :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
The back end will seem a little loose and soft from my opinion.
I had these ratings on my old car, got no idea what mine are on the legnum but would be close to those figures.
If you change the damper settings you can get a nice and comfy ride.
But i dont know what you call stiff so cant really tell you.
8kg is stiff though, no doubt about it, you will be bouncing in your seat a bit.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
The 8kg front and 5kg rear on my Teins is perfect. 8kg fronts do NOT feel that hard at all. I could safely say that with the right dampner settings a 10kg front would be ok, but 8kg is more than enough for daily driving.

A 6kg rear would be better than the 5kg I have.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Ok, i'll add my 2 cents and you guys can flame away.

Jon. If you can wait mate, change your anti roll bars first. It should be the first mod you do and you'll find it will deliver the best results- yes with your stock suspension.

A few things first.
1. Jap springs rates tend to be very stiff, as they like control roll with spring rate- shit way to do it- probably a carry over of drifting.

2. The standard ARB is 20mm front 22mm rear. I would suggest probaby a step up to 22 front 24 rear- but i will be investigating this a little further with a potential group buy on this....

3. You really should use the softest spring you can get away with. Remember, its the damper that does all the work, a spring is a spring is a spring. I run 7 front 5/4 rear on my track car, getting close to these for an everyday road car is overkill and really tells me your anti roll bars aren't big enough.

The Tein superflex are pretty spot on, 5kg front 3kg rear. My car came with these and i think they are perfect. Was dissappointed that the standard anti roll bars were still fitted.
I have 2 other cars with similar and harder so i can speak from experience regarding a well set up car and one that uses stiff spring rates in an attempt to control roll.
Follow the link here look for EC5W http://www.tein.co.jp/search/search1.cgi?act=ITEM&item=SWG&make=MITSUBISHI&lang=e

I hope that helps.

Top Bottom