ISC-N1 Coilovers

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
I would adjust your spring preload. Adding spring preload will raise the front nicely. VR-4s don't have much issue with rebound travel in the front, though I have had some issues with preloading the rear of a Galant.

Personally I think your springs are too soft and your dampers are way too hard. The bounce comes from the dampeners being too hard for general driving. The way to look at it is frequency response. If you go slow, you need lower frequency response in your suspension so that the wheels can conform to the shape of the roads it travels over, so you need the dampeners to give (be soft). At high speed, you hit bumps faster and more of them in any set amount of time, so in this case you need to make sure the energy pushing the wheel up is braked so that the wheel doesn't fly up and lose contact with the road, hence a high damper rate. Since it sounds like your height is OK, you shouldn't have to worry about roll centre changes causing excessive body roll either.

There are people who disagree of course, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

Best is to do some reading and work out what is going on for yourself. Once you understand the physics involved you can make adjustments to suit your goals. The internet has some good resources, though many are quite complicated
Try this one though: http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

It is actually written for RC cars, the great thing about RC cars is that many have the same adjustments as real cars and even their suspension is similar to our unequal length a-arm derived setup. Also, with an RC car you can easily observe the adjustments and how they affect the car. Pretty much directly translates to how you setup your VR-4, except you have much less adjustment in your VR-4.

8/6

I'm also finding them quite bouncy despite having the dampening set at 32 on all corners. Wouldn't increasing the preload increase the bounciness?

This may all be in my head though as I'm not used to driving on coilovers. Though I have been a passenger in plenty of vehicles with them, and while the ride was always firm, it never gave me the feeling of bobbing up and down in my seat.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Body roll is fine, the car is fairly planted around bends. I just want to raise the front a smidge and eliminate the bouncing. I made the executive decision to run front at 8 and rear at 6 based on other brands and what I was currently using. A lot of other brands I looked at had rated around the 5 -6 mark or even lower. My existing lowering springs were like 2.5 and 4kg.

I might give the preload a fiddle and see if it effects ride height and the bouncing.

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
are you turning the damper adjuster the right way? have you tried the other way? if so does it get much worse?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I found the 8kg/mm fronts were too low so had to add a bit of preload for height. Didn't have any problems with it.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
are you turning the damper adjuster the right way? have you tried the other way? if so does it get much worse?

I have tried it the other way, it did get worse.

I found the 8kg/mm fronts were too low so had to add a bit of preload for height. Didn't have any problems with it.

I see. I just spent 15 minutes winding up the preload on one side by 5mm. I measured the spring and it went from 175mm to 170mm. I wound it back out to 175mm before dropping the car. I can't see how that'll increase the height as it's just compressing the spring. Is this just reinforcing the fact that the springs are too soft?

I could probably live the height (as it's not scrubbing or anything) if it wasn't so bouncy. But then again it may all be in my head as I'm not learned in driving with coilovers.

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
say your spring is 200mm to begin with, and 150mm when the car is compressed (say 400kg corner weight and 8kg/mm spring rate).. if you apply 30mm of pre-load to the spring by raising the lower spring seat by 30mm then when "unloaded" the spring is 170mm long, and the coilover has 240kg (30mmx8kg/mm)trying to push it open further (obviously it cant open any wider so nothing appears to happen). But now when you put the car down onto it the spring only compresses a further 20mm (it already has 240kg pushing up against it from the spring, this "counters" 240kg of the cars corner weight, so there only remains 160kg to compress the spring further), so the spring still compresses to 150mm long. HOWEVER now that the mount is 30mm higher, the the car will sit 30mm higher than before....

are you sure the springs are the correct rating? possibly they were marked incorrectly? If you can, try taking the spring off and compressing it with a known weight and measuring the deflection to check that it is actually 8kg/mm..

apart from that the only thing I can think if is the dampers are broken or were incorrectly manufactured or have incorrect valving so their damping coefficient is too low.

I really wouldn't have thought that 8kg/mm spring rate is so far off the normal rates that the dampers cant be adjusted to compensate and provide good quality.

I would really raise the issues with the supplier though seems to me its their problem. If the spring rate is too low surely they should have told you of complications it could cause.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
So has the base height been maxed out? I was able to get mine really high.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Base height has been maxed out. I wound them all the way down last night to see how higher than the inspection holes they were. They're sitting about 5mm higher than the inspection holes. I wouldn't want to run them any higher than that.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Oh well, there isn't much else you can do. Your car looks good, I wouldn't raise it anyway.

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
can you measure the length of the compressed spring with the car down?

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Oh well, there isn't much else you can do. Your car looks good, I wouldn't raise it anyway.

I wouldn't mind actually tagging along in your car sometime soon, to get an idea of how your ISCs feel. Or you can ride in mine and tell me if it is actually bouncy or if that's just the way they are.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Yeah, feel free. I'll message you on facebook or something.

The_Giefster

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Evo 5 + Motorbike
Just a quick question for the guys that have the ISC N1's. I've had my set in for a month now. 10f 8r and over small bumps the coilovers sound like they are rattling. It sounds like the top bolts are not tightened, yet they are. Has anyone else experienced this?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Nup...how are your control arms ?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I had that at the front after using them for 3 years. The pillowball mounts at the top had the slightest bit of play. I was able to replace just the top hats for $100 a pair. Seeing yours are only a month old, they will be under warranty.

Top Bottom