frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
its a small jack - doesnt reach the front point.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
same as me. i might go to the wreckers and grab a mitsu scissor jack to be safe.

mine is a bottle jack, 1500kg, baby little thing

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
**WARNING**

I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks but haven't had the time to get on here. I re-bled my AYC hydraulic system a few weeks ago and when I was setting up I put my trolley jack under the rear of the car using the proper jacking point. As I was lifting the car, I noticed something looked a little off so quickly dropped the car back down, and to my dismay discovered the jacking point had COLLAPSED, also causing part of the spare wheel well to deform as well! :( Fortunately I discovered that I could get under the car to service the AYC diff with the car sitting flat by sliding on the ground. But now I don't have any safe way to jack the rear of the car up with the trolley jack.

My recommendation to avoid facing this problem yourself: use a flat piece of steel between the jack and the car to even out the pressure from the jack. You'll need to be EXTREMELY careful to line everything up correctly, but by distributing the pressure on the jacking point it is much more likely to be able to hold up. I think mine probably collapsed because there looks as though there was more pressure on one side than the other, as it collapsed inward from one side (towards the rear of the car) and outward on the other (the front side). I can't see this being a problem at all on the front jacking point as it is much stronger, but the rear is just hollow moulded 2mm (estimate) steel plate.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The rear always collapses, I never use it. Instead I use the two side ones towards the rear of the car.

G

Unregistered
Probably safer that way Brad, get it up on some heavy duty stands one side at a time.

So has anyone had problems with the front one not supporting the weight properly or even threatening to slip?

I also bought some awesome rubber wheel chocks from Clark Rubber. They are huge! They come almost up the axle, jam right under the tyre nicely and don't slip on sealed concrete. There is no way the car is going anywhere with them under, and I've proven that when I forgot to remove them one time.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The front one is fine as it is the main cross memeber from the front of the engine bay to the rear. It is also easily replaceable in about 20 minutes even if it does get damaged - although I've never seen one with problems.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
ok, this still doesnt answer my original question,

concerning only the side jacking points

can i safely use my bottle jack, which has a circular lifting surface of about 6cm diamter to lift from the sides?

where do i put it? on the metal fold tab? out side the tab between the side skirt? inside the tab on the flat peice of metal, similar to a body gusset?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
On that tab where you have the two cut outs you can put the jack between those and about 10cm either side.

G

Unregistered
Yep, and I have a wooden block with a slot in it that's made to fit my trolley jack's cup. You can easily make one with a holesaw and some hardwood. I tried rubber, and even the really solid stuff just squashed under the weight.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
Yep, and I have a wooden block with a slot in it that's made to fit my trolley jack's cup. You can easily make one with a holesaw and some hardwood. I tried rubber, and even the really solid stuff just squashed under the weight.

wooden block, me rikey

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Sorry to dig up an OLD thread but I need to put the car up on stands and remove the wheels, only thing is the Stands I have have a flat base. In this thread there are no posts shiowing where I can place stands like these on the front?

There was one post where a block of wood with a groove was used but surely there should be somewhere where I can put my flat base stands to hold the front up without flattening the tab.

Top Bottom