Kakimoto vs Fujitsubo

G

Unregistered
Do you need to go to that extreme? S/S would add a massive amount to the total cost. Mild steel should be fine from the cat back.

It wouldnt be a need just personal preference :)

and yeah i am aware of it... a friend had a custom mild steel cat back done for his silvia when drifting for $250 from a friend at Kleen Flo locally...

Estimated price of S/S Up around the 6-800 mark... But hey who knows having said that... he may change my mind when I meet him... But yeah as it stands... just a preference...

Brenton2

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Brenton
Drive
mazda familia
stainless is recommended if you are only driving short distances and the exhaust doesn't have enough time to warm right up and get rid of all the mildew left in there from the night before.

you may have seen cars in front while driving with water coming out of the exhaust, alot of country cars or long distance driven cars barely ever need exhausts replaced, but it is a common problem with cars only drivin short ditances or in the city.

on a side not, ill be selling 3' stainless cat backs in a few months, or with cats and dumps etc etc, but more when there finalised

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
on a side not, ill be selling 3' stainless cat backs in a few months, or with cats and dumps etc etc, but more when there finalised
This sounds good will you be selling on the forums

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
I dont know why people like buying off the shelf exhausts, they aren't any better, if anything custom is best as they are able to ensure correct fitment before you drive away.

Because, like Mc Donalds, you know exactly what you are getting and how much it is going to cost before making any sort of financial commitment.

There are trade-offs, like anything.

I have seen more F'd up exhausts from "custom" manufacture than I have seen from off the shelf brands. Things like crappy welding and creases in the tube to make it fit around a difficult spot because it would take too long to do it properly (and have probably already quoted for it)

Also, the manufacturing ability of the companies which do the off the shelf exhaust systems usually results in products which are manufactured in a superior manner, using complex mandrel bending and machine welding which doesn't leave spots on the inside of the steel.
It also allows them to use thinner walled tube for a lighter end product. Try going to an exhaust shop and asking for a SS exhaust in 1.2mm or 0.9mm 3" tube :p

In saying that, my next exhaust will probably be custom made by me, because while off the shelf exhausts (the best of which, for my taste, is Fujitsubo) can be excellent, I want to try some theories to see if I can make my perfect exhaust.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I have seen custom exhausts make cars lose power. I also want the Jap exhausts for the Jasma approval.

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
I have seen custom exhausts make cars lose power. I also want the Jap exhausts for the Jasma approval.

Why's that?

There is no need for Japanese emission law's to hinder your choice on exhaust , unless you are living in japan.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
JASMA doesn't just meet emisions, but also dB requirements. All JASMA exhausts are nice and quiet but still have a good note.

I would hate to fork out my hard earned and get a droney shit sounding exhaust...

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
Any decent exhaust shop worth a pinch of shit can make an exhaust like that. They buy the mandrel bends, some straight pipe and cut/weld where required.

I dont know why people like buying off the shelf exhausts, they aren't any better, if anything custom is best as they are able to ensure correct fitment before you drive away.

True , but then you look at the quality of what you are getting.
If i couldn't do all this work myself , i would buy off the shelf.

The welding and fitment of exhaust shop's work is next to appauling.
I personally would never get any exhaust shop to make me an exhaust.

Plus , i doubt any exhaust shop's workers have ever done any welding tickets etc.

This is My personal opinion anywho.

marksanne

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mark
Drive
1999 8G VR2 Galant & 1996 8G VR4 Galant
My Legnum came with a full 3" (inner diameter!!) cat-back with kakimoto end-muffler. I swapped the orginal Mitsu downpipe for a PS-Iida 2.5"/3" and now only thing left to do is swapping the cat for a de-cat pipe (don't have the time to fit it). This system looks and sounds good, but with low revvs is does sound more 'droning' that I personally prefer. It's loud (louder than approved by our laws here) but not a screamer, so all people notice is the deep low sound.

G

Unregistered
With the Fujitsubo and no doubt the Kakimoto you are paying for a proven item, after years of 'custom' exhausts on different cars I personally DIDNT want to mess up the VR4 with a bassy drony exhaust when trying to pootle round town, I DID want a noise though on full chat. I have the Fujitsubo Super LEgalis R now coupled with the RPW downpipes. On idle theres a slight audible difference than stock, normal driving is a similar story. Full on the loud pedal is music, just perfect!

Hopefully ill have some footage from track this coming weekend.

Best of luck in your choice!

Mike

G

Unregistered
Ok so... my local exhaust shop quoted me a 3inch cat back in mild steel and S/S canon styled muffler for $700 fitted. (two hot dogs)

Question is do all the Super R Fuji's come with that tray styled muffler? ... Im just looking at them and they look like a 2.5 cat back, 3inch tip width?

Comments? Opinions?

:)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Wasn't where else to put this, but a bit of useful info on the Legalis R Exhaust:

Volume

Idling volume
Standard 66dB
FUJITSUBO 70dB

Near exhaust noise (4125rpm)
Standard 90dB
FUJITSUBO 93dB

3000rpm
Standard 87dB
FUJITSUBO 91dB

5000rpm
Standard 94dB
FUJITSUBO 101dB

4000rpm ~ 6000rpm
Standard 104dB
FUJITSUBO 113dB

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
My Legnum came with a full 3" (inner diameter!!) cat-back with kakimoto end-muffler. I swapped the orginal Mitsu downpipe for a PS-Iida 2.5"/3" and now only thing left to do is swapping the cat for a de-cat pipe (don't have the time to fit it). This system looks and sounds good, but with low revvs is does sound more 'droning' that I personally prefer. It's loud (louder than approved by our laws here) but not a screamer, so all people notice is the deep low sound.

Hey Mark would u happen to know how much the PS- Iida down pipes are and would you happen to know if they are any better than RPWs offerings ?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
about 800 bucks, no diference to rpw's in reality. maybe a 1/3hp difference but no one has dyno'ed them

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
about 800 bucks, no diference to rpw's in reality. maybe a 1/3hp difference but no one has dyno'ed them

I've got a set of Pro Shop Iida's on the way currently along with a Fujitsubo Legalis Super R.
Really looking forward to getting them on and tuned with the AFC Neo.

Really need to test them on the same car to compare properly but I don't know anyone who has access to both types, certainly I don't think anyone would buy both!

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
how much did you get the ps iida's for? and where?

Top Bottom