Koyo Type R Radiator and Golpher Radiator. Any other Options?

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Jet, I have the same issue with my one. I have just gone for a proper cold air box with a properly set up pod set up.

Thanks -- I guess it's good to know I'm not alone. Although I'm still hoping its something I can fix without having to go the whole cold air box/pod filter setup.

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
Lapse in manufacturing tolerances?

Gosh, I hope not. If only I could test-fit someone else's Golpher, but I don't think that would be practical. I just want to get to the bottom of this without spending much more.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
It does look like your intake is sitting back further. Can you pull it forward so that the holes line up? Cant remember but I think there is a step on the bottom of the air intake.

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
It does look like your intake is sitting back further. Can you pull it forward so that the holes line up? Cant remember but I think there is a step on the bottom of the air intake.

Will give it a try and let you know.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Mine wouldnt matter where the intake sat, got to the point that the bonnet was squeaking while driving with mine.. :(

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
Well, I think I know what part of the problem is at least -- a small part of the radiator is touching the blow-off valve. When I push down on the radiator a bit, they both move slightly then bounce back up. I need to just move the intercooler pipe just a few mm, I think. Somehow.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Well, I think I know what part of the problem is at least -- a small part of the radiator is touching the blow-off valve. When I push down on the radiator a bit, they both move slightly then bounce back up. I need to just move the intercooler pipe just a few mm, I think. Somehow.

Ahh yes, mine did the same - I forgot about that

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
I am glad that you found the issue. Hope you can sort it out now.

G

Unregistered
Mine was doing this, it wasnt the BOV but a clamp right above it on the hose, I backed the clamp off and rotated it until the tightning bolt was out of the way of the radiator and it was all good.
If it is the BOV, get someone to push the rad down while you push the BOV across while under the car :)
Im guessing you have an evo 8 or 10 BOV?

Sent from the fires of Mt Doom

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
Mine was doing this, it wasnt the BOV but a clamp right above it on the hose, I backed the clamp off and rotated it until the tightning bolt was out of the way of the radiator and it was all good.
If it is the BOV, get someone to push the rad down while you push the BOV across while under the car :)
Im guessing you have an evo 8 or 10 BOV?

Glad it's something other people have come across before and it looks like an easy fix. I'm guessing its ok to loosen the clamps and all that and twist the pipe around? Sorry, I am a bit of a noob when it comes to working on cars...

And yeah, I have an Evo X BOV :)

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Glad it's something other people have come across before and it looks like an easy fix. I'm guessing its ok to loosen the clamps and all that and twist the pipe around? Sorry, I am a bit of a noob when it comes to working on cars...

And yeah, I have an Evo X BOV :)

I'd take the BOV off and get the radiator where it should be - check that your snorkel fits, and then reattach the BOV so that it clears the radiator.

G

Unregistered
Yep, I have a X Box too.
Mine sits very close to the radiator. You can force the BOV hise over a little to allow everything to fit, just needs a second set of hands to do some pushing and shoving. You can twist the hoses and BOV around to make a bit of space.
In the end, when your radiator is in place, if it touches at all, just get an old, thick bit if hose and stick It between the BOV and Rad to prevent rubbing into eachother.

G

Unregistered
Heres how mine sits.
Very close but its in there :)

3apa8enu.jpg

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
I have just looked at mine and yes the std bov is resting on the radiator, but its not whats causing the rad to sit up enough to cause the issue with the snorkel. I think the issue more lies with the stud off the bottom of the radiator, or the bottom tank shape. I had a look at mine in the car with a straight edge and it didnt look straight..

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
So it turns out I'm an idiot. Steve dropped by for a short while and he simply slammed the bonnet down a little harder than I did and hey presto! The bonnet closed. After I drove around for a bit, I found that the bonnet closed a bit easier -- the heat from the radiator may have bent the plastic down a bit. I still can't put the clips on, but that's a minor issue. As for the BOV -- so far I've just slid it down the hose by a few mm so it no longer touches the radiator. It still seems tight and secure.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Nothing wrong with being cautiousits good that you got it sorted and the simple fixes are the best.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Wouldnt say I slammed it lol, dropped it from about 300mm from memory :) the top tank does sit a little higher than stock I must say

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
I took it for a spin and it all seems good. Thanks for the help and advice, all. I'd just like to say that the Golpher seems fine after driving it around on the weekend. I have no problems with it. Good bit of kit for the price.

Scuba

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Stephen
Drive
1999 vr4 legnum
Got my radiator today and it looks good enough. The welding is better than I had pictured in my head not perfect but it will do the job. Needs to pass the fitment test next.

Which golpher is it???

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
I got the full alloy radiator to suit an Auto. I just had a search on ebay for it and couldn't find the exact one I used and they only have to MT ones available. I wouldn't bother getting the auto one anyway if you have an auto that is and just get an aftermarket trans cooler. Not just to protect the trans from overheating but if you have an internal leak inside the radiator into trans cooler pipe that will certainly stuff your trans up. It is good to keep the systems separated. One of the fitters I now work with used to work for Borg Warner/Dana and said this was a common problem ford radiators have. I used a PWR cooler from repco for the trans and that cost me about $90 all up. As for the radiator full alloy will give you the best heat exchange.

Top Bottom