ksport coilover question

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
1996 Trigger Mauve Galant VR4
Hi there VR4rians

I will be getting my FTO wreck back tomorrow. I am just wondering what is the difference between the Ksport coilover i have in the FTO to a Galant one. was told it won't fit so was trying to figure out whats the differences.
Rang Ksport today and the person said the top mount is changeable , $250/pair for rear and $400/pair( pretty sure, a bit ridiculous for $400ea) front. are there anything else which is different? I am not sure about the spring rate as well so will get that checked up and update.

if it end up to be more expensive, i might just save up and get a set made for Galant.
Also, best place to get better ARB?

cheers

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
fto strut are like evo/mirage struts. macphersons

vr4 suspension
$(KGrHqUOKkME4mZZv,)gBON0f1G7u!~~0_35.JPG

fto/mirage/lancer suspension

5G65Kf5Me3K93Jd3H9c5e81c294e2a11a1080.jpg

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
ones a macferson set up the other is not from memory.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
If they're base adjustable you could maybe just change the bottom bits. But better off selling & buying proper ones.

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
mine look like this from memory

will take pic once i pull it out
ksport-kontrol-pro-coilovers-99-mitsubishi-galant-vr-4.jpg

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
If they're base adjustable you could maybe just change the bottom bits. But better off selling & buying proper ones.

will ask them. thanks.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
You won't be able to use VR4 fronts in an FTO
after knowing what my VR4 struts/coilovers look like and the FTO ones after fitting Bass_Twitchs in his FTO they are 100% different
the FTO has the mounts for the knuckle on the base of the strut whereas the VR4 has the strut locked into the lower arm by a pinch bolt and the hub is supported by the upper and lower arms.
As Tim said, if they are base adjustable, you might be able to swap the base, but it's probably just as easy to get the correct setup. The top plate however looks pretty similar from memory.
(FTO can get camber top plates, maybe us VR4 guys could utilise the camber adjustable top plate from an FTO setup- both are 3 bolt top plates?)
Rear struts MAY fit as they are the exact same setup, you'd hve to check the length of them however

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
You won't be able to use VR4 fronts in an FTO
after knowing what my VR4 struts/coilovers look like and the FTO ones after fitting Bass_Twitchs in his FTO they are 100% different
the FTO has the mounts for the knuckle on the base of the strut whereas the VR4 has the strut locked into the lower arm by a pinch bolt and the hub is supported by the upper and lower arms.
Rear struts MAY fit as they are the exact same setup, you'd hve to check the length of them however

Sigh. so I cant fit my FTO coilovers in the VR4. Means have to fork out more money for a new set:(

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Like the others have said, if the height(after you completely remove the base adjust) is similar you might be able to buy just the lower adjust/mount.
But I'm guessing the VR4 standard coulovers(without custom spring rates) would be a good 4kgs heavier than an FTO would have...
and FYI, nearly all coilover kits are universal parts so just because XYZ might not sell you the bottom mount, doesn't mean Team Yellowspeed/D2/ksport won't and they will fit yours provided yours are base adjustable

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
Like the others have said, if the height(after you completely remove the base adjust) is similar you might be able to buy just the lower adjust/mount.
But I'm guessing the VR4 standard coulovers(without custom spring rates) would be a good 4kgs heavier than an FTO would have...
and FYI, nearly all coilover kits are universal parts so just because XYZ might not sell you the bottom mount, doesn't mean Team Yellowspeed/D2/ksport won't and they will fit yours provided yours are base adjustable

I see. I'll take a pic and see what i can do. Will try to have a closer look at VR4 coilovers and try to match.
couple of weeks ago i was at Bass's place schofield. you live around there?

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
should meet up someday. i am always around richmond.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
For the record, VR4's run Macpherson struts also. The definition of Macpherson stut is the spring seat is mounted on the shock absorber body.
I know...I know....who cares. I CARE!

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Close, I think this is the first time I've disagreed with you Jon;)

The definition is that a macpherson strut is one where the steering pivots around a telepscopic section, which a VR4 does not, the damper and spring is supported seperately (Now what I can't remember is what if the telescopic section was only a sprung section and a damper elsewhere would it still be a macpherson strut, I think not but I'm not 100%). Ours is called multilink and is very close to double wishbone. Make an adjustable upper arm if you want to change camber, moving the strut will achieve nothing :)

IMO the multilink system is better, would be better still with an adjustable upper wishbone and lower castor arm :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Not to my knowledge

Top Bottom