Leaking transfer case?

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
I have noticed a drip of clear oil coming from this plug; in the photo below is this the plug to the centre diff transfer case. And is it possible the seal to the back of the tail shaft is going?

Thanks.:)

TransferCase.jpg

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Josh, do you park your car on that very exact spot?

IMO, its not coming from the xfer case drain plug (looks very dry).. but fromt he fill plug..

also get your seals checked (between the g/box and xfer case.. might be leaking from there)

G

Unregistered
try and tighten it or new crush washer,
its the transfercase drain plug.

not if the oils at the plug, if it was leaking out the tail shoft it would be dripping out the cup end

best to clean the whole lot first, and check it in a day or 2, see where the leak really is

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Spray it down with degreaser, hose it off, then get under there with a rag and give it a good clean. Being the lowest point in that area it could be a number of things that could leak down onto it, making it look like that's where it's leaking from when it may in fact not be.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Well after cleaning it several times it was pretty hard to work out where the leak was coming from as there's a lot of air flow blowing the oil everywhere. But I'm pretty convinced it's the transfer case seal to the back of the gearbox.

TransferCaseSeal.jpg

Has anyone come across the 2 seal part numbers for the transfer case? Done a search but can't find it.

Thanks in advance.
Josh:)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Josh, that's a piss weak clean, i can still see the oil on top of the case where it joins the tailshaft- in fact it doesn't look like you've cleaned it at all??

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Simon that's exactly the same photo as above... I'm HOPING Josh cleaned it down properly but just used the same pic 'cause he was being lazy... :banghead:

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Josh, that's a piss weak clean, i can still see the oil on top of the case where it joins the tailshaft- in fact it doesn't look like you've cleaned it at all??

In fact I added some greasy black oil just to annoy you Simon!:p

No it's the same pic just recycled it to see if anyone new the part number for the seal.

I have cleaned it spotless since probably about 4 times but most times the whole case was coated and was too hard to see where the leak was but am convinced it's the seal with the arrow.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
i think there's no precut seals for the transfer case but only something you put on then let dry..

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
i think there's no precut seals for the transfer case but only something you put on then let dry..

On close inspection it does actually look like there is a silicon like substance sealing it.

Are you sure of this?

CAPS also shows no seal for this area. Only a seal at the rear behind the cup.:)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
i think they use some sort of silicon gasket.. at the moment i just can't think of the name.. also looking at the picture.. it shows that there are some overfill on it.. looking at the white colored stuff..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
i think they use some sort of silicon gasket.. at the moment i just can't think of the name.. also looking at the picture.. it shows that there are some overfill on it.. looking at the white colored stuff..
That's Manual Transmission liquid gasket, part number MD997740 ;)

Top Bottom