LED parkers bulb

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
Hey all,

Just want to share my experience fitting these LED parkers bulb on my s2 galant.
Bought it from ebay for couple bucks, pulled out the front grill and headlights off my car, installed these 2 bulbs, then found out that the left hand side parkers didn't light up. Strange..

Test it with multimeter and found out that the left hand side parking light bulb holder has -12 Volt DC instead of +12 Volt DC.
So I swapped the wire around to get +12 Volt reading, then the LED is ON. ;)

I think being LED light the current can only travel one way, diode principal.
But is this only happened to my car, or all other legnum/galant will have -12 DC volt on left hand side headlight as well?? :huh:

G

Unregistered
Interesting. Got any pics with them installed or links to the product?

G

Unregistered
Same thing happened when I installed them on my old Magna, the LED lihts only work in one polarity. So if it doesn't work you pull it out and rotate the bulb 180-degrees and reinstall and it should work again.

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
basically the product is just those normal parkers bulb but the LED version, i'll put up some pics later when i finished installing HID on my fog light too :D

@ naughtika: so its not only my car then, good, i thought mitsu japan somehow stuffed my car headlight wiring :D

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
@ esemte: yes you right can rotate it if the bulb is the wedge type.
but our one being BA9 where the polarity is fixed on the bulb and the holder therefore we need to cut the wire manually and swapped it around

G

Unregistered
Ahh yes of course, good point. I should have known that as I only replaced my parkers last week :p

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
@ esemte: yes you right can rotate it if the bulb is the wedge type.
but our one being BA9 where the polarity is fixed on the bulb and the holder therefore we need to cut the wire manually and swapped it around
Having replaced nearly every globe in the car with LED's, I can tell you with certainty you don't have to cut a single wire - you can use a jeweller's screwdriver to release the pins in the connector and just swap them over :) All the indicators in my car (so I assume all VR4s) were reversed polarity, so I had to swap the pins on every single one (and I had to replace my relay with an LED friendly one). Most of the other bulbs just swapped straight in, although brake lights need in-line resistors or you'll trip out the AYC and Engine warning sensors.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey Trev, any way you can share how you wired that up resistor? as well as what type/rating it is..

G

Unregistered
Interesting. Got any pics with them installed or links to the product?

I'm still interested in some recommendations, there seems to be many different types.

Some would probably just make a forward facing pin-point, but others look to many outward facing LEDS and would light the reflector better I assume. So if anyone has pics and can tell me which type they are it would be great mate (y)

They are expensive buggers to test out via trial and error.

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
i'll upload some pics tonite if I can, i got my fog light HID installed too y'day :cool:

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
Those are the ones I bought via the last GB (xenonlook.com):

Before: [URL="
IMG_0612.jpg

After: [URL="
IMG_0614.jpg

Model: 5xLED BA9S Hyper White

Emu, Mortz and x17x bought them along with me. Mortz managed to break one during installation but thats sorted and I think they are all happy with the result.

G

Unregistered
Just got around to doing mine, the difference it makes is amazing!

G

Unregistered
I will also add that the LEDs worked fine first go in both parkers and I didn't need to change either side's polarity like some other people have mentioned :confused:

G

Unregistered
One of the LED parker bulbs has blown already! Looks like the little surface mount resistor has been fried, I assume the LEDs themselves are still fine but sadly no-go.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
How long did they last??? 2Days !!!! might have been a faulty unit

I'm using these, they have been in just over 9 months with now issues so far.
bulbs.jpg

G

Unregistered
These are the ones I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I think I will change to the different style like you bought, Kat. Where did you buy them?

They may well have been faulty. I took them apart and there is a little resistor inside the metal bayonet housing that had turned quite black.

I was also concerned with this type because they are quite long and I think it might have been touching the low-beam bulb shield.

On the plus side, I figured out how to fix the parkers to make it really easy to take in and out. First time around you need to remove your headlight. Then unscrew the flat metal plate the parkers clip into (not the bulb holder thing) from the headlight reflector. On that plate bend the two little tabs outwards slightly. Now you can easily clip & unclip with a minimum of effort even with the headlights still in the car.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
From Ebay, current Item # 200437641927

Just out of curiousity was it the left or right that blew?

Ow, I did have to switch the wires on left side to get it working !

These put a nice blue tinge in the headlights at night.

G

Unregistered
Driver's side blew.

How bright are those ones you bought? The 5 LED ones I had would light up the garage wall in front of the car.

Just went out and changed both sides back to standard bulbs now so the car doesn't look bung-eyed.

Top Bottom