Leggie blowing smoke

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Last night noticed a heap of smoke blowing, sometimes grey, sometimes blue, even on idling, got to get it sorted asap as I'm booked in for a tune on Tuesday, but being a Saturday not much is open here... but any ideas?

No loss of power either

I did a search and didn't come up with much, maybe leaking oil, a seal on the turbo, piston rings, but compression was fine when checked recently?

Will post up a video after 10 mins.

Edit: Here's a pic, video is uploading... looks more grey from this angle for sure?

P1000666.jpg

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
P1000666-1.jpg

That was after a bit of a throttle

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Sure does look like oil smoke. Have you noticed increased oil consumption?

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Fresh pipework often emits some smoke as it burns off manufacturing oils and stuff, but that seems excessive...

As Tim said, how is the oil level?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Checked the oil last night and it was full...

It wasn't blowing smoke for the first 2 weeks, just started over the last few days.

It's probably something to do with all the new pipe work and plumbing, will get it checked out on Monday.

Wondering if it is safe to drive though?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I am not convinced it is oil, from what i see it seems to dissipate very quickly. This might sound like a stupid question but how does the "smoke" smell ? Have you recently used any additives in your fuel / engine?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Yeah it does dissipate quick there... I dunno about smell, I mean I have smelt when the rings are going, but this appears different.

Dave said there was a leak around the newly plumbed oil filter.

No new additives.

G

Unregistered
hate to say it but ive seen this before and it could be residual oil in piping, overfilling the engine oil, fried rings, or *blown turbo* :(

G

Unregistered
Have a look at the rear bumper above the tail pipe if it has a black residue it would be oil. BUT it may not be the rings. Have a look at the plenum chamber gaskets pour some water over them if in one spot it is sucked in there is your problem. Otherwise have a look at the inside of your turbo plumbing look before the turbos and after if there is an oily residue that will be your problem. It looks more like water vapour more then oil smoke. IMHO

Edit: try the water thing on the intake manifold gasket as well but watch for bubbles as well i am not sure if it will bubble or suck in. It should suck in the water.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Oil was over filled, this in turn managed to flow off I to the front turbo. Problem solved. Thanks for all your input guys. Dropped it off at RPW today for the injector installation and mega boost increase. 280kw at the wheels here we come!!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
With the turbo upgrade you sure it isn't Contrails??

contrails-c.jpg

:D

They aren't contrails dude :banghead:

So how did it go Madhav??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Should be ready on Tuesday mate

Top Bottom