Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Hey guys,

Got a problem with a non-starting Leggy, wondering if anyone can provide some input.

During a short drive last week the car lurched violently a couple of times then the engine cut out and a small puff of smoke came out the exhaust.
I tried to start it immediately after and when I turned the key there was nothing, tried again a minute later and it was cranking but not turning over - and that's where I'm still at now.

The RACQ bloke had a very quick look and suggested it might be the Crank Angle Sensor, but I checked the error codes and all I've got is the rear speed sensors (which were already present beforehand).

I had no other option but to get it towed to a nearby mechanic who is reputable, but said he's only worked on a VR4 once several years ago.
So it's been at the mechanic's for a couple of days and they haven't been able to determine what the problem could be - they said they've been scanning it but aren't getting any errors.

The last work I did on it was replacing the injector filters/seals, fuel loop, and a Walbro pump - but that was several weeks ago and it's been running perfectly up until now.

Anyone got any ideas?

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Cheers Christian - I replaced the IFS with a brand newie about 6 months ago so I doubt that's the culprit.
Still probably worth a shot just to rule it out though.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Wild stab, fuel filter or boost leak, also have they checked fuel pressure at the rail / after the FPR?

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Wild stab, fuel filter or boost leak, also have they checked fuel pressure at the rail / after the FPR?

The fuel filter was replaced a couple of months back, so I think that could be ruled out - I haven't checked boost leaks though, could that prevent the engine from cranking over?

I'm not sure exactly how much they've done besides scanning for errors, but I'll ask about fuel pressure. Hopefully I can get a better idea of what they've actually tested when I speak to them tomorrow.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I haven't checked boost leaks though, could that prevent the engine from cranking over?.
So it cranks but won't start? If the boost leak is big enough (i.e a pipe has popped off) I would think it would prevent it firing.
Were you accelerating when the problem started?

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Ah ok, that makes sense - and yes, I was accelerating at the time (although not terribly hard).

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Ah ok, that makes sense - and yes, I was accelerating at the time (although not terribly hard).
If it was on boost it sounds to me like a pipe has popped off under boost. It will start badly and will run ok -ish idling but probably idle a little low and little rough.
Check all pipes, and have a good look at the black plastic elbow that connects to the throttle body. They have a habit of coming off and sitting very close to the normal position so it looks ok but in actually fact its sitting off the TB.

When you said smoke out the back what colour, black or white?

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
It will start badly and will run ok -ish idling but probably idle a little low and little rough.

When you said smoke out the back what colour, black or white?

That's the thing though - it won't start at all :(

The colour of the smoke was white.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Agree with jungle sorta sounds similar to mine when i popped the connection before the Y-pipe that crosses over the engine cover, have custom piping and was a real pain to get to with the silicone joiner and worm drive clamp down in beside the water resivoirs etc.

You'd never tell it was off just looking from above in my case.

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Cheers lads, I'll make sure the mechanic's checked out those few things you've mentioned when I speak to him later on today.

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Ok then did you just fill up with fuel before it stopped

No, not immediately beforehand, probably a few days prior. I don't drive it every day, so it would've been pretty close to full though.

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Hey guys, just a quick update on this - the car's still at the workshop and they can't figure it out.
Fuel pressure's good, they've checked the fuel pump and IFS and replaced both the crank angle & cam position sensors and still no love.

Looks like there's a problem with spark - apparently the rear bank is getting spark sometimes, but nothing at all at the front.
They've got an auto-electrician coming out to take a look today so hopefully he can sort out what's going wrong.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hey guys, just a quick update on this - the car's still at the workshop and they can't figure it out.
Fuel pressure's good, they've checked the fuel pump and IFS and replaced both the crank angle & cam position sensors and still no love.

Looks like there's a problem with spark - apparently the rear bank is getting spark sometimes, but nothing at all at the front.
They've got an auto-electrician coming out to take a look today so hopefully he can sort out what's going wrong.

So the timing belts been off and on again, Crank sensor is behind the crank pulley?

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
So the timing belts been off and on again, Crank sensor is behind the crank pulley?

Yeah, I'm not sure the exact location, but both sensors are in that area behind the timing belt cover.

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Ok guys, I finally got my car back yesterday after 2 weeks in the shop - it turns out the problem was with my alarm/immobilizer.
Apparently a wire between the ignition and an alarm control box had shorted, blowing some fuses/relays and the IFS along the way.

Haven't had a chance to drive it much yet, but so far it seems like it's sorted.
Thanks again to everyone for the input! (y)

Top Bottom