Lost 2nd, 4th and reverse

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
last night while driving slowly away from the servo as I let out the clutch in first I heard a pop sound. I didn't feel anything through the car and it seemed to be driving normally. I pulled out onto the road from the servo and it was fine until I went to shift into second, I felt a slight grinding and then nothing. I thought it was in gear but when I accellerated it was as if it was in neutral. I found third but was very concerned, so I attempted to go for fourth but only found neutral so I moved the shifter to go back to third and thought i was still in neutral but it engaged third.

So basically what I think has happened is that something has broken in the linkages and where shift positions 2nd, 4th and reverse are I'm getting neutral and where neutral should be I'm getting 1st, 3rd and 5th.

Has anyone else had this before or any ideas what has broken?

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
Thanks Paul I don't care what people say about you, you're alright.

I do suspect it is something at the gearbox end cos the pop sound came from there and the linkages still looked attached at the shifter end.

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
Sorry Its a bit of an in joke at work I say that all the time to people who help me out

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Almost certainly the rubber bushings on top of the gearbox towards the firewall that Christian linked to.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Sorry Its a bit of an in joke at work I say that all the time to people who help me out

yes i was informed by an knowledge chap aka derek about this saying lol i get it now

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
Problem solved. Same problem as in the link that paul posted. I fixed it the same way and it is a prick to get access to but everything is on these engines.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
If you think these cars are bad you should work on European cars.

I had to do an alternator on a Vectra and to do i i had to either take the intake manifold off or jack the engine, disconnect the front engine mount take off the alternator and the mounting bracket and a whole bunch of plates and shrouds. I'm not even going to start on the Audi or BMW I had to do.

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
oki doki heres my story to add on to what happened to you mathew. i had the same problem with the rubber dampers on the shift linkage bracket. drilled the holes and bolted and nutted etc. put it all back togethor and then when i took it for a drive its all hunky dory except i have no third gear...by this i mean i put the clutch in go to third from second. goes all the way into gear fine..release clutch and go to continue driving and it revs out like its in neutral...so i go back. remove the shift cables from the lever on the side of the box..push the lever into fourth gear using my hand..cannot push the car as it is in gear..go across to third..clicks in beautifully but i can push the car as if its in neutral...must be in the box. just a heads up wanting to know if anyone else has had this prob?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
nope.. you're the first..

i'd say... get someone else to play with the gear stick while you go and watch it... something must be broken..

do you get 1st and 5th gear too or not?

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
yep done that at work have driven it on the hoist gone through all gears while my boss watched under the bonnet..nothing obvious outside the box anyway. and yep get every other gear perfect including reverse. in the time between my last post and this one ive spoken to mark at hills motorsport as my workshop is too busy to even drive my car in let alone get it on a hoist for any length of time..plus i needed a clutch too anyway so works out ok. he tells me what i already knew sort of..it is engaging 3rd gear fine but he believes from his experience there is an issue with the detent keys falling out that hold you in gear plus he also mentoined something about a circlip..guess we'll see when the box is apart..burning that i couldnt take it all apart myself.but with no hoist im sure as hell not doing it on jackstands in my garage..not keen on that idea at all lol.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Maybe you were unlucky enough that when it fell out of place it somehow managed to pop something off inside the gearbox as the workshop said.

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
Wow unlucky something like that was what I was dreading when I had my issue. I hope its an easy fix for you

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
yeh unlucky i guess cheers for that hopefully something good comes out of it lol. there goes the 3 grand i had just finished saving for rails for my brides, intercooler kit, hard pipe kit, front pipes and electronic boost controller.fail.

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
box is stripped and the synchro hub assy for 3rd was fcuked, baulk ring broken and the selector fork was smashed to pieces and in the bottom of the box apparently..parts on the way from tokyo mitsubishi pending prices...which i believe to be telephone numbers...6 weeks of legnum ownership and its been on the road for 10 days....its killing me

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
damn, you're not having a good day are you?

goodluck, and hope you get it back on the road sooner.. have you tried contacting Jesse Streeter? he might be able to get the hardware for you.. might be cheaper too..

Top Bottom