Lost braking efficience

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
I've had new rear pads and rotors fitted. when they were looking at the old ones they thought they weren't working that well and suggested either something blocking the lines or brake cylinder replacement. I know its a bit hard to tell me without seeing the car but what should i look at doing to fix this. The fluid has been replaced in the last 1000kms

Thanks

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
How well did they bed them in? If you don't bed brakes in properly, they never have the right samount of friction between the surfaces. It sounds harsh, but give the brakes a very hard time and see if it gets better.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
No oil or bad residue that will reduce friction on pad or disc?
Get them to do their job and diagnose it before they just start charging you $$$ to replace shit in the hopes it fixes it.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
ok cheers

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
My thoughts are:
If there was something blocking the lines depending on the method of bleeding it would have been very obvious.
And what did they actually see to tell you they suggest that they're " not working that well" ?

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Another thing to keep in mind is that if the pads are rated at a higher temperature, often that comes at the expense of cold bite. As such, the brakes can feel quite numb until warmed up at which point they grip like shit to a blanket.

I had a set on my first VR-4 which were always numb when cold. Was pretty cool to pull up from 200+ with the brakes smoking and disks almost transparent though ;)

Also +1 for bedding in properly. I have always found that until you properly heat cycle them (normally to the point of smoking and smelling like burnt clutch) they will not be at their best.
Unfortunately this is one of the problems with Brembos. Unless you really thrash them or track them (or perhaps have an auto, can't comment on that score) they hardly ever get up to proper operating temperature. Mine are usually cold enough that I can hold the disk when I get out of the car.

Top Bottom