Vibration in reverse/engine braking

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Hi guys,

I've just noticed a vibration/rattling I can feel thru the left foot footrest, I first noticed it when reversing quickly but I've also realised it happens on high-rev engine braking.
Seems like it is related to force being applied in the reverse direction, because everything seems fine driving normally.

Has anyone else had something like this happen before?

Further information:
The car is an automatic (supposedly strengthened in all the ways) with evo RS helical front diff (with HT bolts) in a strengthened-bolt transfer case and an SAYC rear diff.

I drained the fluids from the gearbox, transfer case and rear diff (diff oil only) and found nothing out of the ordinary, no shinys/chunks.

INB4 Auto box must be broken because they R weak and manuals are god, because while I admit that's a possibility, I've broken autos before and never experienced anything like this... So don't say it unless you have actual relevant anecdotal evidence.

My suspicion is the front diff, that maybe I didn't reassemble it correctly after fitting the helical core or abused it too much, its been in the car about 3 months/1 laps session/2 drag days.
Mainly I suspect it because its the only compartment I can't really drain to inspect the oil of since it shares its fluid with the gearbox.

Cheers,

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
Can you get all 4 wheels up in the air and try to get a better idea of where it's coming from?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Did that, no noises...
All 4 wheels spin at once and everything seems normal :(

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
Is it repeatable/always happens under certain circumstances, or intermittent?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Always happens, just not when it's in the air/under no load.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
No I didn't, what would be the best way to do that safely?

Top Bottom