Vibration when travelling at speed

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
1999 VR4 FL Legnum w recaro and momo
Need some think tank time. When I travel at over 110 km/h I get a a vibration coming through the car and it gets worse when accelerating from 110 upwards. I thought it may have been the wheels out of balance but I had them checked and they're ok. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it may be?

I was thinking along the lines of prop shaft bearings but would like some more input.

Thanks in advance

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
I'm thinking prop shaft too. Mine has a bit of a shake at WOT and another member's car did similar.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Wheel balance/hubs not true would be where I would start. Wheels out of round potentially as well.

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
My FTO had a bad vibration @110km's and it ended up being one of my Tien coilovers gone.
It had a leak and ended up with a bent shaft, also ended up bending one of my sway bar drop links too.

I ended up having the coilovers rebuilt for a small some of $980.

Rick5857

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Richard
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 1998
Wheel balance/hubs not true would be where I would start. Wheels out of round potentially as well.
I just finished with clutch replacement but a shaking sound coming probably a loose thing kinda noise when I put my foot on the gas pedal. What could it be

craig

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 Legnum Super VR-4, Silver (project)
1997 Galant VR-4, soon to be manual
2004 Toyota Funcargo, Silver (daily)
I had a vibration from the front universal joint in the prop shaft being worn out badly, also had the drivers side engine mount worn out pretty bad too that caused a vibration. I don't remember which, but one happened at about the same speed and sounded like a subwoofer pulsing, think it was the engine mount.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I just finished with clutch replacement but a shaking sound coming probably a loose thing kinda noise when I put my foot on the gas pedal. What could it be
I guess look at everything you pulled out if it wasn't there before

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
I had a slight wheel vibration last year when I drove from Darwin to Brisbane. Just out of Mataranka it started very faintly, and only when travelling above 130 km/h. Gradually it got worse and worse, and between Mt Isa and Augathella it started to get quite severe. I decided to get it checked the next morning in Mitchell - but twenty km out of Mitchell the right rear tyre completely disintegrated in a loud explosion.

Pulled over, started to change the tyre, and managed to shear off one of the lug bolts. Made it a very long day after that, and I missed having dinner with Macca because of it.

IMG-1921.JPG

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
2004 Ford Territory 4 sp Dual fuel
2006 Ford Territory 6 sp Dual fuel
I've noticed a small sound coming from my rear drive train, bit of a metal noise, like a dry bearing (tingtingtingting, relative to speed) but its predominately when I am absolutely putting the boot in around 5000+RPM. I was thinking it could be rear clutch packs worn down too much? Not really sure, it seems to spin all 4 wheels if I launch it on dirt though (mind you it grabs traction in a fraction of a second anyway...)
Fresh Diff fluid and AYC gear fluid. The AYC gear fluid was very very black/purple/red/WINE when I dropped it though. Could be nothing but you know how it is with strange noises :p
I only really notice it when I am flooring it because I am in the process of setting up the AVC-R EBC

Top Bottom