Lowering - Anyone tracked down any good setups?

G

Unregistered
OK so what your telling me they are for looks not handling? All show no go?

Coil overs the better option then?

Cheers

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
If you want the best in handling and adjustability, then yes coilovers. There are spring options available in Japan, and these can be a good option if you dont want/need to purchase new shocks. However, if you need new shocks too, then coilovers become very cost competetive, as by the time you buy springs and new shocks, you are only 100-200 off the cost of coilovers.

Springs available inclue Tein S-Tech, Tanabe, RS-R Ti2000, all of which are developed specifically for VR4's. Esemtee has Tein S-Techs with Bilstein Shocks and is very happy with the setup, but I'd imagine it would be comparative cost to Tein Coilovers.

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
just to add to that. Money spent on good quality coilovers is well worth it in the name of handling. Cheap coilovers are unlikely to improve your handling and in many cases make it worse.

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
or there is of course Gold Coast Gemini Spec - (springs optional)

G

Unregistered
I might run with the No Springs sounds good to me, going for the Ultimate Low look!

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Gorgs and myself are looking at getting K-MAC custom build springs for now, while we save up for coilovers.
They are fully custom, state of the art springs which have won SEMA awards in 2006 and 2007.
They cost $570 to be built and fitted. But the main reason why i'm going for these instead of the normal "lowered" springs is Gorg's had them in his old car and even with a full car load and 20" wheels, he didn't bottom out.
And that's what i'm looking for. I want the looks and also no bottoming out. Please god lol

They are located in Sydney: http://www.k-mac.com.au/pages/springs/springs.htm

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
Peter D has just fitted them to his legnum. He hasn't passed judgement yet, but is going to compare them to the Teins in his wifes legnum. Wait for his feedback I reckon.

Excellent, with the way the Yen is I have no interest in Japan at the moment.

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
unless the springs are super-stiff, it's the shocks that stop the car from bottoming out.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
unless the springs are super-stiff, it's the shocks that stop the car from bottoming out.
The springs from K-mac can made on what ever spring rate you like and whatever height you like.

I never ever had, i mean never my car bottomed out and the ride was never compramised. it wasn't bouncy nor stiff, perfect for my taste. even on full load.

Rolling on 17"
2723896941_2c994bda24.jpg

Rolling on 20"
14pd0.jpg

IMGP0260.jpg

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
I don't doubt that it never bottomed out Gorg, all I was pointing out is that that's the job of the shocks. Don't rely on springs to do that job, their job is to keep the wheels pressed down onto the pavement, the shocks are there to stop the wheels from going skyward when you hit a bump.

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
can't say given the variables. it'll be a case of try it and see.

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
don't dick around with pedders. Your first port of call should be k-mac. You want to get shocks that are matched to your springs for the best result.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I've personally heard a lot of bad things about Pedders. I don't doubt SOME of their guys know their stuff, but they have too many apprentice jockstraps working for them who screw things up :banghead:

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
I have some Tein Lowered springs at the moment, the hard thing is getting shock's, no one in oz wants to sell me any, so i am currently getting quotes to buy them direct out of japan. tried NZ and the price was ok, but the freight was shit because they would only send them DHL and it was $80 per package

How did you get on with this Jason? I really need to lose 1.5 - 3 inch's but am not a fan of coil overs on the street

Top Bottom