Manual Gear shifts, feel notchy.???

vr4ssz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
98 PFL Legnum VR-4, 2005 VZ SSZ, 1991 Cressida (1jz converted)
Hey guys

I have never driven my VR4 before today due to getting it ready for rego etc, anyway today I took it for its blueslip and noticed the gear shifts are very firm (notchy) is this typical for these cars?, is there anyway to get rid of the harness??, I was shifting around 2200-3000rpm. (also the car hasnt been driven in 5 years)

Thanks

G

Unregistered
1st Step: Change the transmission fluid and go from there.
I use Penrite Progear or hypergear (whichever the full synthetic one is out if the 2) in my Evo.
Old/Bad/incorrect fluid will cause notchiness,noise,difficulty shifting etc so its the easiest and cheapest place to start.

Sent from the fires of Mt Doom

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
They are a pretty notchy box especially when cold but as Mitch mentioned fresh fluid does help.

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
Check you engine mounts. Mine used to be pretty bad until I changed them. Now its only slightly bad.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Shifter cable brackets could be worn too, as could be the cable bushes

vr4ssz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
Thanks for the info, I will give the oil a change and check bushes and mounts.

Would have thought they would have checked that on the blueslip.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
These have one of the notchiest boxes going. So I wouldn't spend too much time trying to fix it. The several manuals I have driven were all quite notchy compared to others manuals.

In the words of Boris the Blade... "Heavy is good... Sign of reliability".

G

Unregistered
There is a big difference between firm and notchy (the way I take it anyway)
Firm and smooth is where its at :) my mated GTR shifts feel like you need to apply 2tonnes of pressure but it moves smooth as silk and seamlessly engages.

Notchy/clunky/difficult to select and engage is how I took the original description.
Sorry if I misread.

Sent from the fires of Mt Doom

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
I find that mine is quite notchy when cold. Selecting first is especially difficult and reverse is even worse (sometimes impossible) until I let everything warm up. Once everything's warm it shifts fine.

I read somewhere that GL4 oil is essential for the box as GL5 is "too good" or something and will lead to difficult shifts... Something about the synchros not grabbing right.. I dunno. I suspect this may be the problem with mine as Meek put in a GL4/GL5 (Motul) oil when I brought my car in.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Would have thought they would have checked that on the blueslip.
Blue slip is really just a safety check. Engine mounts, bushes and mounts can be worn enough to cause the car to be a bit poor to drive without being a safety or roadworthy issue.

vr4ssz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
The gear shifts are firm and direct no issues in selecting gears at all and engages very quick once clutch is released during up and down shifts.

just havent had this with any other manuals that ive driven they have all been smooth, though this is the first awd manual ive driven.

Oh I also forgot to add the car was cold and felt a little bette ron the way back when warmed.

G

Unregistered
It's most likely fine :)
Although, personally, when I buy a car I do a complete fluid change so I start fresh with good quality fluids that I know are at the correct levels and specifications, so I would be changing it anyway.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
These gearboxes are said to be good for something like 700hp in stock form, so I figure you can't expect such a tough box to be as light and silky smooth as your average A to B car :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Use gl4 oil only, not 5, 5 eats the synchros, it's not too good, common misconception, 5 is different, not better.... Use a lighter weight if it's still crap, like vmx80 in lieu of 80/90. Check the bushes and mounts and then you have it as good as it gets. It's effectively an evo box btw.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Does it have a short shifter kit, could be that the pivot/ball wasn't regressed properly when fitted?

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
Use gl4 oil only, not 5, 5 eats the synchros, it's not too good, common misconception, 5 is different, not better.... Use a lighter weight if it's still crap, like vmx80 in lieu of 80/90. Check the bushes and mounts and then you have it as good as it gets. It's effectively an evo box btw.

Looks like i'll be needing to change my gearbox oil soon too... :/
Damn it Meek...

vr4ssz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
Doesnt have a short shifter, I did the full engine service and had planned to do gearbox, clutch, ayc and diff oils.

Just was in a hurry to get it on the road, I will do all fludis over the weekend hopefully its a little better and will check bushes etc why im at it. If it doesnt improve I am pretty sure I will learn to live with it.

yoshimitsu9

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
stefan
Drive
ae86 sprinter
its most likely fine.

i thought exactly same thing until i took my car to techsport here in melb. they took it for a test drive with me in the passenger seat. they assured me it was completley normal for the gear changes to be notchy in our cars

Top Bottom