Mivec????

G

Unregistered
Just a quick question....Is the galant / legnum engine mivec or can it be converted to mivec.

There has been some success with converting mivec motors to force fed over the past few years and it has proved a brilliant decision for the owners as the power gain has been huge. If I recall correctly there was a mirage converted to a 1.8l mivec and then supercharged in WA and the guy had 180kw ish and a huge 420nm/t ish on 9pounds of boost. Soooo if they are getting a huge jump in power would that be a good way to get more out of the 6a13 motor?? Is it even possiable to swap the heads over??

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It is possible but it is a huge amount of work and isn't worth the money you'd need to spend. It is also worth pointing out that a lot of guys with Honda's disable the low speed cam and just run on the high speed cam when they put turbos on their cars.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
so basically you might as well just put some stage 1/2 cams in or something? :p

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Also worth noting that most people who turbocharge FTOs start with the GR (non-MIVEC) rather than the GPX due to the complexity of doing a MIVEC turbo conversion.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
David Thomas from RPW has tinkered with that sort of setup too; not sure if it's a 6A13TT MIVEC. Maybe contact him.:)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
That's a monster hybrid thingmajig - you don't want to go trying that as a project unless you're certifiably nuts... :banghead:

G

Unregistered
Its possible to do the mivec hybrid but not one we would ever do again unless someone put $10K deposit down in advance.

Instead go custom twin turbo's, RPW improved camshafts and aftermarket ECu and you won't miss the mivec beleive me.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Hehe yeah... who needs tricky valve timing when you've got 300kw from well tuned timing and fuel.:D

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
Yeah, too many computers to force to cooperate or too many parameters involved... I remember it being enough work for RPW or some workshop to get a 6G72 MIVEC running in a Magna, only some very expensive ECUs were capable of controlling the variable intake.

Top Bottom