My AWD Converted SSS Pulsar

G

Unregistered
Hey Guys,

Thought i'd show off my weekend toy/track car/show car...aka 'the money pit'.

Make: Nissan

Model: Jap Spec Pulsar SSS (ABS, Sunroof, Climate Control)

Year: 1993

Engine:

*GTIR SR20DET Engine
*3” Custom Turbo Back Exhaust & Custom Dump Pipe
*600x300x76 FMIC With Custom Piping
*Aluminium Radiator Overflow Bottle
*Aluminium Wiper Bottle
*Greddy E-Manage Piggyback Computer
*Greddy Profec B-Spec II Electronic Boost Controller
*Cold Air Intake
*K&N Pod Filter
*Turbosmart BOV
*Neo Gold 100% Synthetic Engine Oil/Gearbox Oil/Brake Fluid
*Walbro 500hp Fuel Pump
*NGK Ignition Leads
*NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
*Greddy Oil Cap
*Greddy 1.2bar Radiator Cap

Suspension & Drivetrain:

*GTIR AWD Conversion
*GTIR Front Calipers
*Standard 5 Speed Gearbox
*6 Puck Clutch
*PAR Lightened Fly Wheel
*1200kg Custom Pressure Plate
*G4 Adjustable Coilover Suspension
*Adjustable Tie Rod Ends

Brakes & Wheels:

*17x7" Speedy Lite 7 Wheels In Charcoal
*N15 SSS Wheels & Falken Azenis RT615 Semi Slicks For Track Use
*205/40/17 Kuhmo Ectsa Tyres
*DBA Slotted Front Discs
*EBC Redstuff Pads (Front)
*EBC Greenstuff Pads (Rear)
*Goodridge Braided Brake Lines – Front & Rear (ADR Approved)

Exterior:

*Full Respray - Ford BA/BF Falcon "Shockwave Metallic Blue"
*GTIR Bonnet
*GTIR Front Bar
*Window Tint
*Clear Front & Side Indicators
*GT Autostyle Eyelids

Interior:

*Complete GTIR Interior
*2kg Fire Extinguisher
*Isotta Talladega bucket seats
*Black Velour Door Trims With “SSS” In Blue
*AXS Navy Blue Front Seat Covers
*Autotecnica Leather Steering Wheel
*Monza Leather Gear Knob
*Monza Leather Gear Boot

ICE:

*JVC 4x45W Head Unit
*Clarion 6" Front Splits
*Kenwood 6" Rear Speakers
*V12 Amplifier
*Pioneer 10" Sub

Power:

*170kw @ 13psi
*202kw @ 18psi

Future Mods:

*4 pot front brake upgrade (possibly r32 gtr calipers/rotors)
*Tomie cams & valve springs
*Uprated turbo
*Ported inlet and exhaust manifolds
*Whiteline swaybars/strut braces/all bushes replaced
*PPG 1st-4th gearset with front lsd

Its currently in the latest issue (february) of fast fours, with the green honda civic on the cover, and these are some of the many shots taken from the photoshoot.

http://www.users.on.net/~bracken/Pulsar/gallery/

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

pic003.jpg

power_18psi.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Perry

Crunching Gears
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 TJ Magna Sports
looks good. i've always liked the look of the SSS plusars

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Wow! you can tell a lot of time and cash has gone into that! Looks great!

Have you had it down the 1/4 mile?

G

Unregistered
Nice car Stephen,

Is that a cosworth style rear wing? Can't quite see it in the photo.

thats the factory rear spoiler for the sss...

Wow! you can tell a lot of time and cash has gone into that! Looks great!

Have you had it down the 1/4 mile?
unfortunately not yet. our one and only 1/4 mile strip in SA is shut due to bob jane buying it, and ****ing it up/closing it. so unless i go interstate i doubt it will see a 1/4 mile strip. id estimate low 12's though.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Was wondering when we would see this! Looks awesome steve. Who did the AWD conversion to it? was it a chassi shop here in SA or was it done interstate? Surely it involved cutting the floorpan out a GTI and welding it into the SSS, then custom length driveshafts etc?

I would hate to estimate how much it would have cost :(

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Wowzers, that's a speedy little number. You must blast some unsuspecting como drivers at the lights when push comes to shove.

If you don't mind me asking, just how much have you spent on it to get it to this point?

G

Unregistered
Im running the standard gtir T28 turbo.

Lee, you are correct. The entire sss floorpan was 'unpicked' from the seams and removed then replaced with the gtir one and the rear extended by some 300mm as the wheel base is shorter by that amount. driveshafts etc are all bolt ons. the transfer/case and bell housing was a tight fit in the engine bay as the gtir bay is slighty more spacious but not to the human eye.

estimated total cost, including buying the cars, mods, replacing broken shafts/gearboxes etc...$45k. im on my second gearbox lol. if it blows again ill leave it up on jacks and put a ppg gearset in when i can afford it. 202kw and a 6 puck clutch with a 1200kg dont partner up very well with a stock box/driveshafts *evil grin*

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
Does that dyno graph imply that it has 727NM of torque ....holy shit...it'd move...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Dyno graphs are funny like that, I've seen 1300nm for a Legnum, remember the transmission reduction gears multiply torque.

A stock Legnum Dyno graph I have here peaked at about 870nm torque at 90kmh also in 3rd gear, which would appear to be very similarly geared to the Pulsar (about 6% more torque multiplication advantage to the Pulsar)

It was above 800nm from ~47kmh to ~95kmh.

A car with similar mods to mine (but not quite as much) who makes bang on 200kw ATW made just under 1200nm on the same dyno at 75kmh and didn't drop below 800nm until 105kmh. My car spools up much quicker and goes much harder than his in the mid range as Carsten will attest to (I've got downpipes and no cat). It'd have to be over 1300nm on the same dyno, I've gotta get it there some day!

G

Unregistered
my driveshaft count is now up to 6 :p smashed another one on the weekend. I should really start sourcing some billet ones, but then the gearbox will be the weakest link and i'm already on number 2.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
my driveshaft count is now up to 6 :p smashed another one on the weekend. I should really start sourcing some billet ones, but then the gearbox will be the weakest link and i'm already on number 2.

Were you at the track or just some 'spirited' street driving?

cheers

Lee

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
i wanted to do the the whole engine swap into my civic,it seems to be a huge thing in america.but i think it will just be easier to get a legnum,plus the resale value is a lot better

plus a lot of power in the fwd wont be the safest and once i get over 200 hp it starts braking stuff,so wats the fun in that,but they do reckon the swap can be equivalent power to weight ratio as a porsche or lotus

G

Unregistered
lee, it was just some spirited driving through the hills. funnily enough *touches wood* i have never broken anything at the track except for a radiator hose lol.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Steve, did you mention you entering modern regularity some time soon? Is this going to cause a set back for that?

Was it front or rear driveshaft is one end more prone than the other?

G

Unregistered
yeah, im hoping to get back out in april for the next modern reg but $$ permits at the moment with all my insurance/rego bills due at once and also i have a feeling ill be getting a nice big compliance bill for the leggie around that time too!

its not a set back, ive already replaced the driveshaft with another one as i did it on sunday when i was bored. the fronts are the ones that always go as gtir's have an open front diff, vicous centre and rear lsd. i am looking (in the future) at uprating the gearbox and including a front lsd in there too. the drivetrain split is 50/50 but weight distribution is something like 70/30 so understeer is a bitch and im hoping the lsd will help along with uprated bushes/swaybars etc.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
i wanted to do the the whole engine swap into my civic,it seems to be a huge thing in america.but i think it will just be easier to get a legnum,plus the resale value is a lot better

plus a lot of power in the fwd wont be the safest and once i get over 200 hp it starts braking stuff,so wats the fun in that,but they do reckon the swap can be equivalent power to weight ratio as a porsche or lotus

James, don't believe the hype mate!! Back in the day I had a converted twin cam mini with Efi, technically it had a better power to weight ratio than most stuff on the road, didn't mean it was the fastest though.
But on the other side of the coin, I built a '73 Lancer coupe with EFi 2.6 5Spd and Scorpion LSD. It was 1992 when everyone was falling inlove with spendind 30k on a SR20 S13 and my little Lancer would eat them for breakfast, lol. I am talking trying to slap the L/H rear 1/4 on the road in "spirited" 2nd -3rd shifts and 4th gear on the spot burn outs on the brake. GOOD FUN, LOL

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
yeah, im hoping to get back out in april for the next modern reg but $$ permits at the moment with all my insurance/rego bills due at once and also i have a feeling ill be getting a nice big compliance bill for the leggie around that time too!

its not a set back, ive already replaced the driveshaft with another one as i did it on sunday when i was bored. the fronts are the ones that always go as gtir's have an open front diff, vicous centre and rear lsd. i am looking (in the future) at uprating the gearbox and including a front lsd in there too. the drivetrain split is 50/50 but weight distribution is something like 70/30 so understeer is a bitch and im hoping the lsd will help along with uprated bushes/swaybars etc.

You need to talk to PPG about a more suitable split that is complementry to weight distribution. I think a 40% front 60% rear would be far more suited to the weight. From memory I reckon this was the case with the TX3 AWD Lasers and these little suckers were fun, with a 60% rear biast you could actually compession lock them sideways into a corner and then use/ABuse the AWD to get you out of the corner, damn lot of fun :)

Top Bottom