My poor Legnum got rear-ended

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
I was heading up to Southport from Tweed Heads area for Uni like a day ago and got rear ended by behind, domino effect while i was at a dead stop which was pretty freaky.
The highway up near Nerang gets pretty congested and drivers tend to stick up each others bum all the time, it makes driving up there all the time pretty nerve wracking. The traffic was bad and i'd just braked down to a stop behind another car, leaving a bit of space between us like i always do in peak hour traffic. Next thing I know I hear a tyre screech and i feel my car get collected from the drivers rear corner, pushing me out of the lane as a car flies up my right(I was in right lane).
I got out after pulling over more and the driver of the Hiace van that hit me from behind says "The guy behind me (in a Range Rover) hit me when i was stopped, pushed me into you." The car that flew past me got collected by either the Van or the Range Rover that hit it, at the start of the crash when it all started...i'm not sure. I was glad I left a space because i didn't hit anyone in front of me, even though the other car flew past my side somehow.
So the youngish guy in the Rover got out, looking pretty sheepish and we all exchanged details, no need to ask him any questions about how, it was obvious he was travelling too close to the van. The poor girl who was in the car now in front of me was crying, she had 2 kids in the car and was heavily pregnant but was OK. I was so glad i didn't hit her car in the melee.
Anyways, the Leggys rear drivers side of the bumper is totally caved in, the lights broken and all the metal up the side near the fuel flap is pretty crumpled up as well where the Van scraped up the side of my car a bit after he hit the bumper. Going to get some quotes on Monday for the driver who caused it all, lucky he has insurance cause it's gunna be pretty expensive to fix the 4 cars he smashed up. I just want my car back to normal, the damage is not very pretty. I'll post pics up in the morning. :cry:

G

Unregistered
Sorry to hear Luke, glad to hear your ok, hopefully the repair process is quick and painless. Unfortunately I too have been in a similar 'domino' accident, fortunately I was passenger but my mate was the cause of the whole thing. Took his eyes off the road for a moment and bang hit the car in front, which hit the car in front of that.

Btw, happy 1000th post, just wish it was on better terms :)

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Good to hear everyone is ok and the Leggy isn't wrecked! My heart skipped a beat when I noticed it was you posting, I dont want to have the only Leggy in town! :p

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Holy crap man, that sux balls. I drive that road everyday and agree it is hecktik. The whole stop start thing from there until palmy is a joke.

I hope it all gets fixed without any dramas mate.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
damn.. sorry to hear that your car's banged up..

i'd check your ayc fluid reservoir just in case.. otherwise you'll have more expenses to think about..

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback
Kudos for not hitting the pregnant woman's car. I think they give out sainthoods for that kinda stuff.

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
damn sorry to here mate. Do you think they will write it off?

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Crap news Luke!

Good thing you left a decent space from the car in front!

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Thanks for the kind words guys :)
Christian, i'll def do that just to be safe. The AYC seems to be working fine though so far, lights are still coming on and there's no groaning or anything, hopefully it's all good.
Brad, i'm not really sure. A new bumper will need to be put on, a new light and some skilled panelbeating will be needed around the fuel flap though. But i haven't seen if there's any damage to the actual frame of the car yet, so i guess there could be more hidden damage. I have talked to the lady with the kids and her car is apparently gunna cost $7000 to fix (wow) and it didn't seem to have a great deal of damage compared to mine so that's not very promising. Meh, if they do write it off i'll buy a series 2 Galant :D
And yeah Bruce, i'm so glad i did too, otherwise might've been a lot worse. Anyway, i'll go take some photos

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Hehe, well it's pretty much just me in the Leggy 90% of time, a Galant may be a smarter choice. But then again, if the perfect black or blue manual Leggy came along...
Alrighty, here's the pics (if anyone's wondering, stock rims are on cause i'm wearing those tyres down before i slap the 18's back on):

DSC03489.jpg

DSC03488.jpg

DSC03487.jpg

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Ouch! Does not look pretty. Not sure if it would be a write-off, would it?

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Thats not a write-off. Car came up all right I reckon :)

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Yeah, i expected much worse. Hopefully it's all just panel damage.
For the amount of force i felt when it happened the damage isn't that bad, they seem to be built pretty well.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Did this happen around 1:00-2:00pm on Thursday, cause I was heading up to Pacific Pines and got stuck in a crapload of traffic at about 1:45.

By the time I got past the TRUs and their flashy lights they'd just finished sweeping stuff off the road.

Going by the pics, it seems you've been lucky, probably no significant hidden damage. Also, glad you're OK :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You also need to buy yourself some new wheels! Check out the stock offset fail!

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
lol Brad, i said in one of the other posts that i'm about to change back to my 18's. I do agree though, the stockies look really shit. I was wearing down the tyres before i bought new ones for the 18's. Also fixed the camber, and a bad toe problem i had that was tearing through my tyres.
Matt, that time sounds about right mate.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Heh, so it's your fault it took me about 15mins to get from the Nerang to Pacific Pines exit :p

Glad you're ok though :)

Top Bottom