Poor Radio Reception

G

Unregistered
Hi Guys,

I finally put my new "Aussie" radio in the other night so I can listen to the radio, however my FM and AM reception is VERY poor...? Any thoughts as to why? I connected the aerial wires at the back (both large and small) but the reception is average to say the least!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Marc

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
most people find they get poor reception,someone will most likely know the answer why but you'll notice that a few people have new aftermarket arials attached to the roof for better reception.maybe you should look into that

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Marc this is a common issue and has been covered elsewhere in this forum. As James has pointed out to get the best reception you will need to use an after market antenna. In the Legnum the antennas are in the rear side glass and only really work well when your in close proximity and have virtual line of sight to the transmitting antenna.
Please use the SEARCH function and see what others have written on this topic.

G

Unregistered
was the recepetion poor with the original stereo?

i think ALOT of people forget to wire the antenna up/power from the stereo,
to the legnums factory signal booster.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg

Agreed, mine is crystal clear..... Yeah don't forget to do that lol.....

G

Unregistered

Hard to say as it only picked up a community radio station in Adelaide due to freqency differences between Australia and Japan. So how is this done Gly? I am using a Mitsubishi head unit so all I did was plug into the harness and connect the two aerial cables. There were both sides of a white splade connector there as well and I connected this into itself??? Was this wrong? Can you shed some more light on how to power the signal booster?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Hard to say as it only picked up a community radio station in Adelaide due to freqency differences between Australia and Japan. So how is this done Gly? I am using a Mitsubishi head unit so all I did was plug into the harness and connect the two aerial cables. There were both sides of a white splade connector there as well and I connected this into itself??? Was this wrong? Can you shed some more light on how to power the signal booster?

What bandwidth range has the head unit got?

G

Unregistered
The new one is fine 87-108 on the odd (i.e. 91.9, 92.7, 107.1 etc...). I can't believe it's how it's meant to be and I need an extrnal antenna though, as I'm in metro adelaide and the reception is rubbish! I think Gly is on the right track...

G

Unregistered
oh ok, if its a misti unit it should be fine,

maybe its just crap signal where you are

G

Unregistered
hmmm... So what about other Legnum drivers in adelaide??? Do you guys have the same issue?

G

Unregistered
ok just did some more reading. By the sounds of it I just need to get a converter and use the small aeriel plug in the large hole instead of the large one - Will head to Jaycar tomorrow and report back if it works or not...

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
ok just did some more reading. By the sounds of it I just need to get a converter and use the small aeriel plug in the large hole instead of the large one - Will head to Jaycar tomorrow and report back if it works or not...

If you find one of the plug converters can you please give me the part number... i tried a few jaycars but with no luck...

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
hmmm... So what about other Legnum drivers in adelaide??? Do you guys have the same issue?

Yeah mine's crap... Only in the city really but I'm pretty sure I didn't wire mine up to the factory booster flux capacitor thingy...

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Marc mine is ok, but not great.
I tend to just listen to CD's or USB (MP3) so can't comment anywhere else out of the city either. With the SP23 I can usually get reception well past Pt Wakefield on the way north, but I would imagine the legnum would struggle past Gepps X..

damian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Damian
Drive
2000 black legnum
Mine works Ok but again like Lee said I usually only travel around the city areas. Ive got a cheapo Pioneer head unit and just used a converter plug to wire it up and have only the large antenna socket plugged in.
The reception does seem to struggle when im under overhead power lines though, and the reception is always really bad where Portrush Rd meets Glen Osmond road at the traffic lights there.

G

Unregistered
Well I can confirm that using the smaller plug has fixed my issues! I couldn't find an adapter so I just cut the small plug off and connected a larger plug that I bought from Jaycar for $2.

Happy days! :)

Top Bottom