New Car selection.. EVO X vs GOLF R

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I didn't realise this was for you, if you have a galant, I'd go the R if that's the choice, nicer interior etc and you'll have a monster fast car anyway, I'm not going to stray to other cars because that just opens up too many options.

The EVO X would be too close to the galant in terms of feel for me.

Also, while EVO's are cheap to play with VW/Audi trubo's respond really well, 239kW from an APR chip and nothing else is a nice upgrade

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
go the EvoX Chris!, if this news holds true...the EvoX could be the last Evo made!!
http://www.evolutionoz.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=62962

resale should be good eh.

for those without evo-oz logins:

I?ve just spent an engaging half-hour in the company of Gayu Eusegi, Mitsubishi?s global product director.

Mostly we talked about the new Global Small Concept, which will be built in Thailand and sized somewhere between a Toyota Aygo and the Colt supermini. It?ll go on UK sale in 2012, effectively replacing the Colt in the line-up.

But also he told me some news, which seemed to surprise a few Mitsubishi Europe bods as much as it did me.

The Lancer Evolution X, Eusegi told me, will be the last Evo. ?There is still a demand [for the car],? he said, ?but we must stop.? Eyebrow up.

?Our influence now is EV technology,? Eusegi said, adding that the decision was a ?policy change?.

It seems Mitsubishi, which is going to introduce eight full electric or hybrid cars by 2015, has decided its image is about lowering CO2, not making lurid replicas of rally cars that don?t go top-level rallying any more.

Eusegi said that customers would find it ?easier to understand? what Mitsubishi was about if it was no longer in this motorsport-inspired market.

He seemed to put the rumoured diesel hybrid Evo replacement to bed, too. So the X will be the last Evolution model? ?Yes. Maybe the world can change, and maybe someday we can do a motor race by electric vehicles,? said Eusegi. ?Maybe then we can enter the market again.?
Until then, prepare yourselves for the end of an era.

Source: http://www.revscene.net/forums/confirmed-m...8.html?t=639018

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Buy the car for the purpose.

Golf R is the better daily driver, with more refinement, better real world response, nicer interior etc. Good up to about 8/10ths when fanging.

Evo X is better track / hardcore warrior. Louder, bumpier, laggier, but also ultimately quicker (assuming you get a break from the traffic!).

I've test driven an Evo X and found the turbo lag off putting. Not surprising given that 1625kg + 2 litre engine with big turbo = poor bottom end response.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
My mate has a Golf R. I hate it with a passion. Response is good, but other than that it is a characterless, lifeless, soulless, overpriced thing. The interior is just kind of OK, but there's nothing there that makes it "pop" and there are a couple of details that are not to the standard I'd expect at all if I was spending the trillion dollars that they cost to buy. Visually they're sort of OK again, but still nothing that really sets it apart. There's just no personality to it at all.

And also they stole the side profile off the superseded Civic Type R. You should have seen my mate's face when I showed him the 8 year old Civic that looks exactly the same as his car.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
You know what, just keep the galant as a daily and ....

how about an Evo SAYC diff, some new ratios for your gearbox (maybe a 6 speed) something else for the front, an ACD, some forged pistons and nice rods, a pair of turbo's, an interior retrim and use Evo X seats maybe, bilstein coilovers, a respray.... and some of those 8spot front calipers, put them with evoX rotors, so of those 4 or 6 or whatever they were rear calipers, plus I'm sure there's other stuff. As you'll have heaps left over before you do that strip it and seam weld it all to stiffen it a bit more.

Save you a fortune and 600Hp should beat the pair of them :)

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
You know what, just keep the galant as a daily and ....

how about an Evo SAYC diff, some new ratios for your gearbox (maybe a 6 speed) something else for the front, an ACD, some forged pistons and nice rods, a pair of turbo's, an interior retrim and use Evo X seats maybe, bilstein coilovers, a respray.... and some of those 8spot front calipers, put them with evoX rotors, so of those 4 or 6 or whatever they were rear calipers, plus I'm sure there's other stuff. As you'll have heaps left over before you do that strip it and seam weld it all to stiffen it a bit more.

Save you a fortune and 600Hp should beat the pair of them :)

im a bit tingly in the pants region after that. if i stripped mine...it'd stay stripped

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
I'd go the Evo. Good power prospects, huge brakes, Mitsubishi and the correct wheel PCD.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
There's nothing wrong per se with the R, but I'd go the Evo X, simply because of my absolutely horrible experience dealing with VW in regards to my fucking shithouse of a Caddy, which crapped up on the way home yet again tonight.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
That's because they're punishing you for driving a caddy

Christian, sent you an email

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Are you actually going to be buying one of these cars? I'm not too thrilled by either TBH. I'd prefer an EVO 9 MR with a 6 speed

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Isn't the new Golf R FWD? I agree with Paul, for a daily driver offering something different from a built galant, I'd go the Golf, but ultimately I think I'd enjoy driving the evo more

I vote neither ... Evo 8 MR FQ400 or perhaps a Ford Focus RS for something different if AWD isn't mandatory?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
The Focus is cool. If someone put a gun to my head and said "Either you choose a European car or I pull the trigger", I'd think about which option I'd like to go with for a while, grudgingly choose the latter, then go with the Focus.

Top Bottom