newbie needs help/opinions....

Jonty

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jon
Drive
Subaru
hey guys and gals!

just chasing after a late model legnum, and came across this hum-dinger....

- 1999 legnum
- pearl white (tho is there a "normal white" and a "pearl white"?)
- auto/tiptronic
- "usual" vr4 features
- 53300-ish on the odo
- 17" rims (tho they look like merc rims)
- cloth interior
- "carbon" dash surround
- sunroof
- roof rails
- ralliart muffler

some "finer" details:
- atm this car is a daily for the owner's wife
- on the day i went to look at it, apparently she hit a cat and as a consequence there are a couple of cracks on the front bottom bumper/skirt and the centre bit is also missing from the skirt
- its from a dealer, so is offering 1 year warranty and 24/7 roadside assist
- it was in need of a REALLY GOOD wash, tho from what i could tell, there weren't any/many chips/scratches - apart from the "cat hit" :rolleyes:
- tho after a good detail (which he said he'd do - as well as replacing the centre bit from the front skirt), you never know what shows up....
- OH! there's also a crack in the rear bumper, where the centre of the exhaust tip is - when i asked him about that, he said he didn't know.... and then proceed to tell me about the ralliart muffler.... ???

he's askin for $17500; which turns out to be about $18300-ish after gov and stamp duty and that crap. i offered $17500 drive away, but he said no way. so then offered $18000; he said ok....

so atm, i'm in the conundrum of biting the bullet now and go for it, or hold off until another cracker of a car pops up on iron chef....

any thoughts/comments/opinions would be greatly appreciated

cheers in advance,

jon

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i'd say dont get it.. im pretty sure you can get a better deal.. who's this "seller"

Im pretty sure someone here will say so too.. ask Kristian and Ben Im pretty sure they can help you with it..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
if it has the things that you want (sunroof, wheels, facelift, low km's) then I would say it isn't that bad considering that the other option would probably be waiting 3-4 months for one to come in, assuming you can find one quickly that is!

How long has it been in the country and how much service work has been done to it?

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Can you wait for one, or do you want one now ?

The options that this one has seem to be pretty common in Japan, and if you can wait, you will save some $$$ and maybe pick up a better car.

Remember that the Chef also has this one available 99 VR-4 Type S with Recaros and J-Spec have this neat Silver 2000 model too.

To wait or not wait, that is the question :)

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Hit a cat hu? Rite... for 18k it would want to be perfect and it sounds like it's far from it. If you absolutely need the car yesterday, go for it but if you can wait then look at that white one on Kristians site as one like that would be much nicer in the long run.

G

Unregistered
That combo is pretty easy to get hold of ... look at my car ... LOL
As stated above, if u don't need it now check out the Iron Chef and J-Spec lads.
If u have the dollars at the ready and its what u want, u will be very happy with it ... I certainly am with mine :)

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
I thought you were after manual and not white? Stick to your guns, what you are after will come up eventally, im sure the ol' trx will hold up a bit longer

Jonty

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jon
Drive
Subaru
cheers guys

yeah i can hold out til "whenever", as i ride to work most days and only really drive if its raining - which is barely at all in this "drought" we're havin here in melb....

yeah u guys are rite in sayin that for $18k i'd be able to get one in better condition.

i test drove a manual legnum at the same dealer (oh, its "southern special vehicles" in east oakleigh, melb. has anyone here dealt with em or know of them?), and cos i gotta have the seat fair forward - as i'm a short ass! - found that me elbow kept on hitting the side support bit of the bucket seat?!?! weird i know, but was thinkin i should try and drive another manual b4 committing myself.

i know that kristian from iron chef is very reliable and provides a really good service; tho haven't heard much about j-spec? anyone dealt thru them?

anywho, will prob just hold off til after chrissy - as i'm busy enuf at work and "stuff" without worryin about trying to sell me trx and find a car

G

Unregistered
My car was complied there and I found that they did not change the cat converter and they did not give me the font number plate spacers. This is after I drove to Sydney so best to check these things when you pick it up.
On the good side they didn't cut the spot light wires and they didn't disconect the auto up on the windows.

Jonty

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jon
Drive
Subaru
....Remember that the Chef also has this one available 99 VR-4 Type S with Recaros and J-Spec have this neat Silver 2000 model too.

To wait or not wait, that is the question :)

i've already checked both those cars, tho do have my reservations about em:

with the one iron chef is selling, i've noticed that the rear has been debadged and the "legnum" bit on the rear garnish is gone!?!? so i dunno what happened there.... also, he mentions "slight rust on underside...." - how much exactly is "slight". those two things were of concern....

as for the one on j-spec, that one is fair schmick.... almost too schmick.... actually don't mind the rims on it too; plus UBER low kms! :cool: the only thing that concerns me about this is why is it that the other "facelift" (1999) models he's offering have done MORE km's, slightly earlier year, seems to have just as much stuff on it, yet the two 1999 models are goin for a more - esp the black one (over $20k!). i've noticed that one of the 1999's is a "type v", and the other 1999 is pretty much the same as the 2000, but like $5k more!

so if anyone could provide some insight into this, that's be awesome, otherwise i might just wait....

hang on, why dont i just contact j-spec! :rolleyes: :p

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Nick de-badged his over here in Vic :) I'm tempted just to get rid of "mitsubishi" just to keep people guessing actually.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I've got no rear mitsy badge and I'm missing the "LEGNUM" sticker too. Thinking about ditching the VR4 badge next... stealth!

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I dropped the V6, Mitsubishi and read VR-4 badges off mine last weekend - looks much cleaner now - and adds to the WTF effect :)

Jonty

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jon
Drive
Subaru
hehe, yeah "stealth" is goodly.... but i do like the badges/legnum bits....

OH! dunno if its a guy on here, but every now and then i see a pre-facelift legnum, white, sittin outside in the street along balcombe road, beaumaris.

but as its not there all the time, i'm guessing that he has a friend that lives along balcombe road, beaumaris. i've also seen a few jap cars outside the house a few times on occasions.... anyone here at all or know who i'm talkin about?

Top Bottom