Oil Filter Woes

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Can I just remind all that when doing up an oil filter, by hand is by far enough! Please don't use a tool to tighten a filter. You should in the end only require your elbow grease to undo them too. Take the old off, make sure the seal is intack with the filter, put a nice smear of oil on the new filters seal, then tighten it up by hand.

@ Christian. How do you buy z142a's for $5?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
@ Christian. How do you buy z142a's for $5?

Burson.. my dad's got an account there.. trade price for almost all stuff that they stock...

also Brad, I know in toyota enginges you can remove the thread by using an allen key type socket, I think its about 14mm or bigger.. but with our engines, I'm not sure if you can..

maybe you can by threading in 2 nuts.. lock them together then remove it.. like what I suggested to Chris (Fieldy107) you can most likely use the threads from a range Mitsubishi cars.. most of them use the same filter (z142a, z79a, z411)

goodluck..

bj82

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brad
Drive
99 SII Legnum VR4
I'll be giving it a try sat arvo i'll let everyone know how i go with it.
I'm hoping it'll all go smoothly and if it does i'll be taking pics along the way.

In preperation for dissapointment though anyone know of a good filter relocation kit??
I'm guessing e-bay?

@godzilla - very good advice. I hadn't really ventured into any DIY car stuff prior to owning the legnum so it was all learn as you go for me. I sure have learned the hard way on this one.

bj82

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brad
Drive
99 SII Legnum VR4
Update time;

I had a look sat and the little bugger is not coming off. It's all on piece with the male threaded fitting joined to the filter assembly.
What i did manage to do is clean the thread up a bit with a small file and got the filter on sweet (only hand tight;) and stopped the small drip. Success.
On a side note the oil filter relocation kit was going to cost $140.00 from repco so might still go down that route anyway.
Anyone done a filter relocation ????

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
that's a tidy unit.. only downside is that i lowers your oil filter a little bit more.. not that it matters to others..

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
Steer clear of those sandwich adapters, you are only asking for trouble! I had one of these and before i installed it I did a bit of research into them. what I found out trauling the 3si.org forums led me to put it up for sale again. Basically, every time you change and oil filter, you need to DOUBLE check that this is tight, if you undo the oil filter and this comes loose, and you forget, say hello to an engine bay full of oil. Also have read one story too many of the rubber gasket blowing out.

Now, I found a blanking..well, thread? at the back of my block, I did some research and found out on the 3L TT models they use a small adapter there and allows an oil pressure sender and some thread for a line that feeds oil to the rear turbo. Now i dont know much about the 6A family of engines but if you have a similar unused thread which like a blanking stud on the end might wanna pick one of these up, allowed me to run an oil pressure sender (standard) oil temp sender, and in the standard location an oil pressure sender for my gauge.

http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=24831

If someone has a spare block on the stand would be a good idea to see if you have a spare port on it, but this for me anyway was a much more...less maintenance type of adding more senders

bj82

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brad
Drive
99 SII Legnum VR4
I've just been checking the part numbers guide and saw that the ryco oil filter for our cars is Z56B and i was told to use a Z79A. Anyone else using a Z79A or know if they are interchangeable? I would be pretty pissed if that had caused my thread issues.
What filter is everyone using?
Sorry to change topics slighty but just confused.

G

Unregistered
I think the threads are the same but the size of the filter is different.

My other car, a Hyundai, uses Z79A filters, and when I picked up some cheap Repco brand ones (for flushing purposes) they were stated as being compatible with both Z79A and Z142A.

(Z142A is what I use on the Legnum and is an alternative to Z56B).

I have fitted both the Z142A and Z56B filters on the Legnum, as well as that Repco multi-fit one and I did not notice any problems with the thread. The Repco multi-fit one also fitted onto the (Z79A) Hyundai fine.

You'd need to check the length of the specific Ryco etc Z79A filters. Because perhaps if they were too short you would need to over-tighten the filter to make it seal properly, and potentially damaging the thread in the process.

bj82

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brad
Drive
99 SII Legnum VR4
I went and got a genuine mitsi filter and a Z142A today and when i compared it to the Z79A there is a fair difference in the depth of the oil filter. The Z79A was way too short really and i should have had a look inside before i put it on because its quite obvious. The Z79A is the same physical size as the genuine mitsi but the problem is with the internal depth of the filter.
At least i have a spare filter now, i put the Z142A on today and will use the mitsi one next time.

G

Unregistered
Glad to hear you got it sorted, and thanks for letting us know about the differences. Something to watch out for.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Just a note, I had a Ryco filter on my car for like 2 days, and it started leaking from the top of the filter, the part facing the ground when attached to the car. It appeared to have a hairline crack in it, and I had barely driven anywhere at all since it was attached, so very unlikely a stone hit it or something. Changed to a Mitsi filter from the dealership (pretty cheap, like $15) and haven't had a problem with leaking or anything. Since then I've had a few mates say they've had Ryco filters leak, or they've spotted hairline cracks just before they put them on their car. I wont be buying Ryco again, and anyone who has one on should probably have a quick check when they can to make sure oil isn't leaking.

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
Well good to see you have the problem sorted and now understand what I was talking about with the quality and difference in ryco. OEM filter's for me all the way.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
That was an interesting article, filters aren't filters. To bad he didn't test the Drift or K&N filters, as they are easily available here. Autobahn also do K&N oil filters, was quoted about $25 on one last time I was there.

Top Bottom