Oil Cooler & Filter Relocation install..

Status
Not open for further replies.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Hey fellas,

I’m planning on installing a set in my car soon and am waiting for the following to arrive..

- AN-10 90deg Hose ends x4
- AN-10 Hose Separator x 3

I bought 4x 90 degree Hose ends since i have 2 already crimped into the hose, 3x hose separators to keep things tidy. Then contemplating on this kit from US - Engine Oil Cooler with SPAL fan or just a plain 19 row universal Oil Cooler without the fan and shroud - which I can easily purchase from 999 Automotive

I already have both adaptors (which surprisingly suits the Z142A or Z79A oil filters) and Stainless Steel Braided Hose to suit the Hose ends/Connectors and Adaptors,

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

here are some pictures of the adaptors and with the oil filter fitted.. also holes for the sensors
IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

AN-10 male to male Adaptors
IMG_0256.jpg

The oil filter adaptors are made out of aluminum, not sure if its billet or not, but I remember paying around $200+postage for them several years ago. I planned on fitting it on my old galant but never went ahead since I traded it for the VR4.

Now, does anyone have any heads up or advices that they can give before I proceed in cutting up the hoses and stuff? Also I can install the oil cooler at a later date since winter's coming up.. And also cutting the hoses isn't an issue since the one I've got has got a fair bit of length.

Things I've considered before proceeding with this..

- secure the hoses properly on the transmission side so it runs vertically to the passenger side wide (near or just below the old battery location) - this is where the hose separator comes in.
- provide enough slack for the hose to move around as the engine rocks back and forth when accelerating/decelerating
- will use rubber grommets and tapes to guard the hose from scratching against anything which can eventually lead to deterioration
- Make sure there's no kink in the hose
- use Teflon tape on every thread
- mount and secure the adaptor and oil cooler properly
- thinking of installing the oil filter adaptor end horizontally or on a 45 degree angle so that draining the oil from the oil filter won't get so messy
- thinking of using heavy duty rivets for the mounting plate and oil cooler mount, so that there's no possibility of bolts coming off..
- Oil cooler will be mounted on an angle (fan facing up)
- wash and clean the hose, fittings and adaptor before finalizing install
- anything else I've missed?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
just be careful where you run the steel braid. it looks good but the external surface is rougher then sandpaper and can sand through rubber/paint/plastic fairly quickly.

ill be following this very closely as i too want to run an oil cooler (not so much a relcation kit tho, cause you gotta get under the car anyway to change the oil)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
just updating this thread..

still waiting for some fittings to arrive and I should be able to install this.. I'm doing this once and doing it right..

question though..

with the oil cooler.. is it true that we can lose pressure as much as 10psi?

I'd understand if we lose 1-3psi but 10?! I also know that quality can also add into this..

how can we combat this loss of oil pressure? any suggestion fellas?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If anything oil pressure would actually go up due to the increase in resistance to flow through the additional pipework. The actual oil flow will go down. Exactly how much is difficult to tell though.

minxy74

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
HJ Galant , CM5A GSR (project)
any updates on this mate i have the same relocation kit and want to install a cooler at the same time

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Am I right in saying that moving the filter will infact offer no extra space for turbo upgrades? After all, the filter sits on a solid mount below the turbo.

So ideally, to gain more space, you need to remove the mount and then tap the block for fittings, no?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
any updates on this mate i have the same relocation kit and want to install a cooler at the same time

I'll give you guys more updates on this once I get my engine from Trev..

and Joel.. theoretically yes.. what I wanna do is remove that elbow and replace it with an oil filter adaptor.. not a sandwich adaptor :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom