Engine oil cooler

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Had a look at my spare and there is an oil line connected to it.. It is a Banjo type fitting.. so I guess it wouldn't be that easy to remove and replace that elbow...

Will dismantle it soon to see if that oil is a return line from the filter or not..

*Edit*

photos..

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

G

Unregistered
Just bumping this thread as in the next 2-3 weeks roughly (once the parts arrive) ill be doing and oil cooler install using a kit that i'll create myself. I'll be using the factory filter location and just using a sandwich/adapter plate, along with either a z142a or z79a filter (the 79a is 4mm shorter out of the two), and I'll be t-ing in an oil pressure gauge to same location as well. I was expecting to have to do the whole oil filter re-location thing as my car sits pretty low but I had a look last night and as I have the black plastic shield underneath the car, that will (should) provide a fair amount of protection especially since there is about 100mm gap between the bottom of the filter and the black shield.

I'll see how that goes once it's all on...If I get too annoyed at having to remove the black plastic shield every time I service the car, then I will do the relocation later on.

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
afaik, the evo ones are the same. the only problem with cheaper adapters is their height, given the factory location of our filters, it means that the oil line elbows that comes off the adapter block hang very low. just factor that in

im seriously thinking about buying the Trust oil cooler but would you guys consider the elbows to be to low? i like the idea of relocating the oil filter but after reading this comment im not 100% sure on it. really the only thing im concerned about is having it scrapping or hitting the elbows joints on drive ways and what not. also would spraying the cooler black decrease its effectiveness dramatically? i would imagine thats an iffy topic for some people but my old intercooler was sprayed and my new one will be to. i like the oem look.

G

Unregistered
Don't forget if you get an oil cooler, you need to get an oil temp thermostat, otherwise it will cool ur oil TOO much!

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
haha now that was my next question. will the thermostat be like a sandwich thing? where from and how much?

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Some sandwich plates have thermostats built in, but the most readily available is an inline unit.

Line in and out on one side, same on the other side. Recirculates until at temp, then flows in and out in parallel.

1115109.jpg

G

Unregistered
I'm going to wire up my oil temp and pressure gauges first, when they arrive in the mail, and see what the oil temps are like before I splurge a whole heap of cash on a cooler, a thermostat and a relocation kit.

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
[Image not found]

so like the one in the middle of this pic?

G

Unregistered
If you do get a cooler/sandwich plate etc, just make sure the thread pitch is correct for our cars. You want M20x1.5

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
Thanks Steve for the info very helpful.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
mocal do a sandwich plate with thermostat.... UK ebay have them.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
mocal do a sandwich plate with thermostat.... UK ebay have them.

I'll pull the elbow out of my spare engine and will take it to that workshop, see if they can make them. They should be able to since they have CNC milling machine..

*EDIT 04-03-2011*

While I was at Bruce's workshop, I asked him if he could also fabricate a sandwich plate to replace that elbow we have in our engines.. So this afternoon I'll bring it to him.. So he can take measurements..

My target on this is to have a bolt on replacement for that elbow.. Also with AN -10 or -12 male bung welded on to it.. Also to have that banjo fitting T'd off the side as well.. Just like the oem setup without the elbow :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
just another quick update on this one..

I've removed the elbow and found out that there's thread in there, so we can install a spin on type adaptor on it, but there's a catch.. space isn't really good..

here are some pics..

this is the thread that's meant for the oil filter relocation kit, I've just installed it here to confirm..
e68c5f46.jpg

with the spin on oil filter adaptor installed onto the block - there's no gasket in there between the block and adaptor..
dac3a26a.jpg

e4a1cfb7.jpg

40a23adf.jpg

abe3771c.jpg

as you probably have seen in one of the pic, the adaptor itself is sitting about an inch away from the front turbo

and this is what the elbow looks like..
a4c93fa2.jpg

08b10b8c.jpg

998c5268.jpg

e24098f1.jpg

as you see as well, there is a banjo bolt attached to the side of it, this goes to the front turbo's oil inlet.. seems like its an AN -4 size, so finding a fitting to match it isn't a problem..

my plan.. bring the elbow and adaptor to Bruce's workshop and get him to take some measurements and provide him some other details.. eg. where the ports should be and how big it should be..

looking at the elbow's oil passage, it seems like a 1/2" size diameter..

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Thats exactly what Josh and I are looking at doing, I have a new spin on filter adapter that fits in the block from Mitsubishi and a filter relocation kit, the only problem I foresaw was the room needed for fittings and hoses out of the block off plate so they didn't hit the front turbo.

Fully

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
99 Galant VR4
There is 2 grub screws around the oil pump (under/behind the Alternator) I think this might be an easier option?

All you need to do, is remove your alternator or drop it down, remove the grub screws - then screw in your 2 elbows, then connect your cooler =)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
There is 2 grub screws around the oil pump (under/behind the Alternator) I think this might be an easier option?

All you need to do, is remove your alternator or drop it down, remove the grub screws - then screw in your 2 elbows, then connect your cooler =)

that's also another way..

but the main reason we want to do this is to remove that elbow and to relocate the oil filter easily :)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Bumping this back up, I'm having a bit more of a think about this, do our engines actually need an oil cooler? How hot is our oil getting? Does anyone know?

G

Unregistered
bumping an old thread,can the rear holes be used to fit a relocation kit or not? i need to move mine to allow room and just finding it difficult to get something that is going to work off the shelf now

Top Bottom