Engine oil cooler

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
I've been looking around and searching but can't find much info on oil cooler and relo kits for 6a13s closest I found was a grex one on rhdjapan specifically for our cars but not to keen at 1200 delivered. 350 on eBay for a Chinese one but they're spec'd for popular models. Can anyone shed some light? Mayb even info on what size threads and diameter plates and adaptors are needed?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I've been looking around and searching but can't find much info on oil cooler and relo kits for 6a13s closest I found was a grex one on rhdjapan specifically for our cars but not to keen at 1200 delivered. 350 on eBay for a Chinese one but they're spec'd for popular models. Can anyone shed some light? Mayb even info on what size threads and diameter plates and adaptors are needed?

Those Greddy ones are also listed as transmission oil coolers? Perhaps they are the same? I'll gladly stand corrected if they're not, but maybe you can use a tranny cooler for the same purpose.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
An oil cooler is an oil cooler, whether it be engine or trans, same thing.

The only thing that may be different is the connectors/adaptors.

If you get a generic cooler that will fit Mitsubishi thread you SHOULD be fine.

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
thanks for the help so far but yeh joel i see what you mean im ATTEMPTING to get as close as i can to all the right fitting/adaptors in the kit, does anyone know the thread size for mitsi oil filters? eg would the fittings for an evo oil cooler kit be the same?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
afaik, the evo ones are the same. the only problem with cheaper adapters is their height, given the factory location of our filters, it means that the oil line elbows that comes off the adapter block hang very low. just factor that in

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Something like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Picture001e.jpg

OR

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIV...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

DSC_1234.jpg

Will usually do the trick as they come with a couple of threaded sections, as seen next to the sandwich plate in the above image.

Z142A and Z79A fit our cars, and they have a M20-x1.5-6 thread, so by the description of that cooler from Ebay, it'd fit(Please note I'm not guaranteeing it will fit, so don't blame me...)

http://www.rycofilters.com.au/catalogue/product/part/Z142A
http://www.rycofilters.com.au/catalogue/product/part/Z79A

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
What we need, is someone to work out how to remove the complete oil filter fitting, and mount lines straight from the block without all the BS.

Will allow more room for a larger turbo too.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
The kit that Joel posted should work well, The only problem I can see with a sandwich plate is it does make the filter sit quite low.

I'm going to make my own kit which consists of a black oil filter relocation kit, black nylon braided lines(as they do much less damage to things if they rub and can handle more pressure than our oil pumps can put out.) black earls aeronautical fittings and a black oil cooler. I'm going with all black stuff to keep everything looking OEM/stock.

I have one of these and it fits well. Obviously you could go for one of the cheaper ones that are bright gold and the "greddy" oil coolers that are bright blue but thats not my style :p

Just on what you mentioned Joel, Josh and I looked at a way of mounting the relocation kit block on the engine and it should work with a turbo upgrade but the relocation kit block won't fit because it will hit the turbo/stock turbo oil lines.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Yep, and mounting straight into the block is the same thread as a normal filter because ST-R's have their filter mounting straight onto the block.

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
hmm thanks for shedding some light on this, im thinking of deleting the foglights(i have pfl) and on the pass side run a cold air intake feed up to my pod filter,( mounted where battery used to be in a cold air box) and on the drivers side fit the oil cooler core. so far for my money i think the 2nd hand grex one qball pointed out on yahoo japan sounds pretty good though..will have to ponder this

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Yep, and mounting straight into the block is the same thread as a normal filter because ST-R's have their filter mounting straight onto the block.

Just to add to this, when you unbolt that arm that goes from the block to the filter there is a machined face and in the center is a threaded section that usually has a stud that the filter spins onto. I have actually got the part number for the stud and have ordered and fitted it but as I said the relocation block fouls on the stock turbo oil lines. Might be a different story with a different turbo fitted.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
I didn't realise that the arm could actually be unbolted.

I'll have to crawl under one day and have a look at it all.

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
ok so epic fail on the import monster 2nd hand unit...was 366 but with shipping comission etc wound up at 630 delivered to me. not to keen on 630 for an oil cooler. looks like ebay kit is a go, but like pauly said may have to be cautious about how low it hangs

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
What we need, is someone to work out how to remove the complete oil filter fitting, and mount lines straight from the block without all the BS.

Will allow more room for a larger turbo too.

I'll find out on Sunday, i have a spare engine there.. but I dont think it'll be easy as the front turbo is in the way..

also I thought the turbo oil lines run off from this elbow as well? I guess once we use the right fitting.. we can add a T piece on it.. or a 'Y' adaptor..

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
No oil lines connect to it, its just an extension from the block to avoid hitting the turbo.

Zach, if your worried about clearance, a filter relocation kit will solve that problem.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
when I was looking at my spare engine.. I swear I saw a hard line coming off the side of that elbow..

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Hmmm, maybe your right. I don't remember removing any oil lines from it but I'm not sure now. If your going to have a look at your spare engine let us know would you please.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Hmmm, maybe your right. I don't remember removing any oil lines from it but I'm not sure now. If your going to have a look at your spare engine let us know would you please.

yah, if I get a chance tomorrow, ill post it up here.. also if we can remove that elbow, I think it'll open more possibilities with a more compact manifold..

I think Jonson had done exactly on Dion's car.. just can't remember the photos..

Top Bottom